“Great place to stay”

Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites La Crosse
Ranked #13 of 20 Hotels in La Crosse
Reviewed 23 February 2011

I loved this place and will be back many years to come! Great friendly staff

• Stayed: March 2010
1  Thank Rebecca B

Reviewed 22 February 2011

I love hearing people moan about a $3 parking pass....do these people ever travel anywhere at all?? Try chicago people!! Anyway, we had a great experience at this hotel. The staff was great and we knew a few of them by name by the end of our stay! Restaurant food was great and prices are reasonable! Great pizza!! Unfortunately, there were a duo of parents there that were near our table that cared more about drinking than watching their kids run around the bar and restaurant BUT the manager came over and apologized to us for the distraction and quietly talked to the undeserved parents who eventually left so we could enjoy the rest of our meal. Great location!!!!

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank smudge5755
Reviewed 13 February 2011

This hotel looks beautiful from the outside and the location can't be beat, as its directly in the heart of downtown La Crosse near bars, restaurants, the Mississippi River, and the La Crosse Center. I typically love Holiday Inn's, but this one was just average. Upon check-in, we found the young front desk worker to be slightly stand-offish and he seemed almost annoyed that he had to stand up, get off the computer, and put his Blackberry down to help us.

* All future guests, be aware that there is an additional $3/night parking fee that will give you space in the ramp next door, which we didn't mind paying as it's convenient, especially during the winter!

Once we got to our room, we found the bed to be King-sized and comfortable, and there was a nice big flat-screen TV in the room. The shower in our room was big, with dual heads, but not that clean since we found strands long blonde hair that couldn't have belonged to my boyfriend or I.

I wouldn't recommend staying here if you want a good night's sleep and have intentions of sleeping in late. The cleaning staff (or maybe room service?) in the hallway outside our room made a lot of noise starting around 8 AM. Also, the walls are very thin, especially in the bathrooms! We could hear our neighbors turn their shower on like it was coming from our bathroom! The shower pressure coming from the next room sounds like a freight train. So overall, I'd just say the Holiday Inn La Crosse average.

*One minor request for management: Luckily we didn't have much luggage, so it was no big deal to park in the ramp right away and bring our bags in, since when we checked in on a Friday evening, there was absolutely no place to stop and unload in the front driveway/parking lot. I assume that most of the spaces were taken up by customers of the restaurant. Some 10-minute parking spaces for unloading would be awesome!!

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 25 January 2011

**Full disclosure: I did not actually stay at the Holiday Inn. I was just trying to book a block of rooms for my wedding guests. So I can't review the accomodations of this hotel. But I can speak to my frustration with the company and staff.**

I called the number on the website, hoping to speak to a staff person about booking a block of rooms at the Holiday Inn. I was transferred to some answering service that serves the parent company Holiday Inn must belong to-- and my call was answered by someone in a call center overseas. While this lady was very pleasant, it was frustrating to not be able to speak to a staff person at the hotel directly.

After submitting my request, the woman on the phone (from the call center) told me someone from the hotel would return my call within 24 hours. Over a week later, I FINALLY receive a response from the hotel, denying my request for a room block. While I understand that the hotel is booked up, I think it is impolite and just bad business to not return a call within the time frame set.

If you are looking for a group reservation in downtown La Crosse, don't even bother with this hotel. You are guarenteed a slow, frustrating process. Instead, direct your business to the Grand Stay hotel. You can actually talk to someone who works at the hotel and they are incredibly nice. Don't waste your time with the Holiday Inn.

Stayed: January 2011
3  Thank mdtravels1
Reviewed 28 December 2010

After reading so many negative reviews of this hotel (and wondering if we should actually stay there), we were pleasantly surprised to find everything in order. First of all, the rate was fair and the room was large, quiet and very clean. The hotel desk clerk was friendly and helpful. I don't know what more you need to expect from a motel/hotel visit. We would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 1 November 2010

We went to check in for our anniversary and kiddingly said we were surprised we had to spend an additional $3 for parking given the expense of our room. The clerk was very rude and said how LaCrosse charges them a lot (gave mepersonal hotel information) and proceeded to tell me they charge more at the Radisoon accross the street. It wasn't the $3 it was the RUDE staff that made us leave and check into a WONDERFUL hotel down the street (Marriott Courtyard) . We will NEVER go to this hotel again and we frequent LaCrosse a lot as this is where my husband and I first dated!

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled as a couple
4  Thank LoraKay
Reviewed 31 October 2010

Wow - these guys need some training. Maybe IHG can get them some. I am sure Andrew Cosslett and Jim Abrahamson will be interested to learn how the LaCrosse Holiday Inn "behaves"! Do the right thing - NOT, Show we care - NOT, Aim higher - NOT, Celebrate difference - ?, Work better together - NOT! Tim Rortvedt obviously hasn't attended empathy training. Very bad experience, we checked out shortly after checking in. Rude behavior at the front desk, and then after the fact Mr Rortvedt basically dismissed my comments. He claims he was present at check in and check out but clearly was NOT, if he had been, a real manager would have introduced him/herself and shown his/ her interest in a client's concerns! LaCrosse has a real ambassador here! Sorry LaCrosse!

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled as a couple
3  Thank LaCrosseIndians
trortvedt, General Manager at Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites La Crosse, responded to this reviewResponded 30 December 2010

I was actually standing at the desk when Ted and his wife came back down from the room. They told the desk clerk that either they remove the parking fee or you were going to check out. The desk clerk said that we do not remove the fee, that our prices are comparable downtown with parking added to which the wife replied "so what" and they wanted to check out. Do not layout ultimatums if you will not be happy with the consequences. They were in the hotel for about 40 minutes.

There was no "attitude" displayed from the desk only refusal to waive the parking fee. All the other guest pay for parking which in a downtown hotel is not "nickel and diming", it is common. We provide covered parking which the other two hotels do not. I am very familiar with the room rates in all the downtown hotels and we range anywhere from $10-30 lower than our competitors. I understand that they did not want to pay for parking but it is not negotiable. Our lot is clearly marked and the checkin process as well as online bookings makes it impossible to not understand the parking policy.

Thank you!