“Quite nice!”

Hackberry’s Bistro
Ranked #48 of 204 Restaurants in La Crosse
Price range: US$5 - US$20
Description: Hackberry's Bistro is located above People's Food Co-op in historic downtown La Crosse. The bistro serves up seasonal, local, and organic fare.
Reviewed 14 October 2013

It had been a few years since I had eaten at Hackberrys. I had family in town, and we decided to have breakfast there. We were a group of 6, and called for a reservation at prime time on a Sunday...which was handled perfectly. Our server was really efficient....one of the best servers I have had anywhere in years.......looks like they properly train their staff. Food took about the amount of time I would think, and everyone got exactly what they ordered, and plates were large. We all agreed the food was not piping hot....but it is hard to keep eggs hot for long. Our coffee and water was refilled constantly, and we wanted for nothing. Their menu is larger than in used to be...and still includes a lot of local, organic and seasonal items. I left full and happy.

Reviewed 27 May 2013

When we drive to LaCrosse, the People's Co-op is almost always one of our regular stops for groceries, so it's convenient to go upstairs to the Bistro for a light lunch. There is a small salad bar downstairs in the produce section, but it looks unappealing. Also downstair is a cafe with yummy-looking pastries that I never tried.
In the Bistro, I always have the veggie burger which I enjoy, but the bun is closer to the ordinary than the nutritious. Nevertheless, the waitress tried to accommodate all of my finicky requests. During all of our visits, the wait staff has tried to please.
My wife, who is not vegan-crazed like me, had a Reuben sandwich and enjoyed it.
The atmosphere is clean and pleasant. Since we have always arrive at the start of lunch hour, we never experienced any delays in service.

Reviewed 31 March 2013

Fresh food. Kinda slow service. We appreciate the GF options. Would eat there more often if they were open in evening.

Reviewed 21 March 2013

Local farm to table organic restaurant above the People's Food Co-op. Wide variety of quality in the food. Some is very good while other dishes need work. Cold uninviting atmosphere.

Review collected in partnership with Best Western
Reviewed 20 March 2013

Are you in La Crosse and looking for a healthy place to eat? Hackberry's Bistro is a little tricky to find, but worth the effort. I ate there for many meal on my trip to La Crosse.

I ate there for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. I was able to find organic and gluten-free food. A lot the items were also locally sourced.

I recommend the Gluten Free Egg's Benedict for breakfast. Salad I had for lunch was amazing. Every supper was wonderful, you can't go wrong.

This bistro is located above the People's Coop. Look for the elevator and you are almost there. Definitely worth the trip up the steps.

The staff was friendly, efficient, and knowledgeable. The menu was well marked and descriptive. If I find myself in La Crosse again, I will be eating here again.