“A Repeat Performance!”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in La Farge
Kickapoo Valley Ranch Guest Cabins
West Suburbs/Chicago
“A Repeat Performance!”
Reviewed 16 February 2014

Just got back from our 2nd visit, and this in and of itself says something great about this place. One of our rules is to never go to the same place twice. Why should we? There are so many great places to visit and it's always fun to experience different places to stay. And, lots of times when I've gone back top the same place twice, it's never quite as nice. Maybe because it's less of a discovery process - not really sure. But....something kept calling me back. My husband kept reminding me to plan "our winter foray" as he calls it, a tradition that we started a number of years ago to take a long weekend to a snowy place just when we start to fell cooped up inside and indulge in some outdoor activities, specifically snowshoeing. I looked in Michigan, Wisconsin and even Minnesota, but nothing I found was making me say "This is it!" I realized I was looking for the same feeling of quiet and serenity, and really just getting away from humanity that we had found at the Kickapoo Vally Ranch the year before. So, against my better judgement, I called the Kickapoo Valley Ranch, and once I did, we couldn't wait to get there. This time we stayed in Crazy Jacks, a slight larger cabin, which was very nice. Once again, EVERYTHING was perfect. The bedding was excellent, tons of pillows, really nice sheets, and heavy warm and cozy comforters kept us warm in below zero weather. I especially love all the special touches in the bathroom, every little thing you might need for personal care, and soaps that smell natural and heavenly, along with plush white towels. It was very cold and when we realized that one of the heaters was not working the first evening, we could not call to report it since our AT&T cell service doesn't, thankfully, work there. So, I sent a quick email to Cowboy Joe and to our surprise he appeared at our door within minutes, only to discover we had blown a fuse. Problem fixed immediately! We spent the weekend snowshoeing several of the Kickapoo Valley Reserve Trails (amazing!), driving through the Amish area hills and hollows to enjoy the winter landscapes, looking for glimpses of wild turkeys, eagles, and other wildlife. We drove to Viroqua one evening, following Cowboy Joe's recommendation, to the Driftless Cafe for dinner! OUTSTANDING! Excellent local cuisine and very personal service. Overall, despite my hesitation to return to the same place, we resolved to make this an annual event, AND visit in the summer sometime to enjoy it in a different way. We just LOVE this place. AND - the cookies are wonderful. Cowboy Joe gave us a peek at their new professional kitchen that enables them to sell their cookies and cakes. The sampling of cookies left in the room (8 HUGE cookies) were so great, we will be sure to place an order soon to be delivered all the way back here in Chicago!
Thanks again to Cowboys Joe and Dave! We are hooked!

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Lisa&Roger

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (58)
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Reviewed 4 February 2014

Cowboy Joe and Cowboy David are the friendliest, most hospitable hosts you could ask for. The cabins are delightful, and the view of the stars is unbeatable. We had the best weekend at Kickapoo, and we will be back this summer!

• Stayed December 2013
Rochester, Minnesota
Reviewed 3 February 2014

We had only one problem...two nights is not long enough! This place is a gem and provides a perfect get away to relax and unwind. The cabin was very beautifully decorated and clean. Every little detail was covered from glasses to a great selection of pillows to the cookies! I could go on and on....already thinking about my next visit!

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
Hartville, Missouri
Reviewed 6 January 2014

My wife and I stayed at the Ranch over Christmas. Although we are from the Kickapoo Valley( we just moved to Missouri about a year ago) We were treated like royalty, Joe and David are second to none. The cabin was super clean and had all the comforts of home. I highly recommend the Kickapoo Valley Ranch for a truly perfect place to stay.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Foxfarms
Madison, Wisconsin
Reviewed 19 December 2013

My husband and I had the most lovely, relaxing stay at KVR in November. Upon our arrival, we were greeted warmly by a herd of beautiful llamas and by a personable Cowboy Joe, who provided us with maps and a few suggestions for things to see and do in the area. Our immaculately-clean cabin felt cozy with its tasteful ranch decor and free-standing gas fireplace. The bed and furniture were quite comfortable, and the kitchen was very well-equipped for cooking. The large veranda overlooked a stunning view of wooded hills and happily grazing horses. We already reserved our stay for next year, but I'm not sure we can wait that long to go back!

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Tracy W
Tucson, Arizona
Reviewed 30 October 2013

My wife and I have stayed at the Ranch five times--sometimes as a couple and other times with with friends and family. Cowboy Joe and David clearly love the valley and it shows in the care they take in maintaining the cabins and the land.I hesitate to call them cabins because they are luxurious accommodations. We travel from Tucson, Arizona to Wisconsin nearly every year and look forward to our visit to the Ranch and not just for the welcoming cookies! We love waking up in the morning seeing the horses and hearing the Amish buggies or wandering down to view the llamas. If you are looking for a retreat in a beautiful location you are unlikely to find a better place to stay.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Raymond F
Highland, Indiana
Reviewed 22 October 2013

My husband and I come up to this area once a year for a family and friends get together weekend. This year we brought our two grandsons with us and they loved it there too. We arrived on a Thursday and left on a Monday and had a restfull and peaceful stay with wonderful home-made cookies and to wake up to a great view and horses near our balcony first thing in the morning as we sit with a cup of coffee in the early morning. A more friendlier pair of guys: Cowboy Joe and Cowboy Dave, they were so caring and courteous to our needs and in providing a clean and well stocked cabin for our stay near our family gathering. I am telling everyone I know about it and telling them all to come to the ranch and meet Cowboy Joe & Cowboy Dave and stay awhile...you won't regret it.

Room Tip: Miss Kitty and front row cabins with view of hill accross is awesome! Miss Kitty's has two queen...