“Horrible Experience”

Carousel Inn & Suites
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Lake Delton
Reviewed 30 July 2012

I want to share this experience because it was such a nightmare. We didn't have an opportunity to stay at this dump due to what we found at 8:30 that night. My husband turned over the pillow case and found a dead bug. As soon as we discovered this we took off the comforter and flat sheet and found more dead bugs as well as a live one. We asked for a refund since we weren't staying there and they refused to give a full one. They had to keep 25.00 for the maintence fee which is a joke because the sheets had bugs. This was based on my family's experience. I didn't want to have to find another hotel on a busy weekend but we were forced to due to the bugs.

• Stayed: June 2012
4  Thank Mamaofa3yrold

Reviewed 29 July 2012

Other reviewers mentioned clean - not our room.

Our room also had a broken window (1st floor, huge crack). We called the desk, and they didn't know (I guess the housekeepers aren't paid to clean windows). When we checked-out, they didn't have any record that we called about the window, so I guess that'll never be fixed.

We were placed in one of the back buildings - if you want ice, you have to walk across the parking lot towards the front buildings.

We didn't visit either pool, but they looked OK.

We've stayed at a lot of different places in the Dells over the last 20-years. This place ranks in the bottom third.

Room Tip: Try to get one in the main building, or on the first floor facing a pool
1  Thank gewf631
Reviewed 23 July 2012

I checked the reviews over and over when we decided to stay at this motel for the 2012 JIMMY V Classic basketball tournament. I was very hesitant and thought about changing motels as the weekend of July 20th approached. Needless to say, we stayed at the carousel and at first I was not disappointed. It was not what we are used to rooming in but it was not all bad either. My 15yr old son joked about the key entrance, the box 32" television and even commented on the smell of the room. A bottle of lysol took care of the odor, we were hardly in our room so the television may have been viewed for an hour or so at the most and we made it work with the square key. This property is very kid friendly, not one pool was over 4ft of water, the staff was friendly. I was not used to leaving my room to travel to the lobby in order to have a cup of coffee, most places have a complimentary coffee maker and ironing board available. On the last day of our stay, that morning I called front desk to request that new linen be placed on the beds, when we returned that night (way past midnight) the room was straightened, beds were made and fresh towels were hanging. I pulled the sheets back from the bed and that's when my rating went drastically down for this motel. The stained sheets that I called about being changed in the first place were still on the bed, house keeping did not replace the sheets but merely made the bed. I was so disappointed, immediately contacted housekeeping but during that hour the department was closed (24hr service should be available in housekeeping) so the gentleman that answered took my complaint and told me to report it to housekeeping by morning. By morning I walked over to the front desk, gave the complaint and was given the opportunity to select something from their gift shop free of charge. The gesture was welcomed but the impression will remain and I probably won't stay at this motel again.

Room Tip: You should ask for a pool side balcony view.
2  Thank coppertone_dreads
Reviewed 21 July 2012

i have never wrote a review before but i always read them when are looking at a place to stay,so here is my 2 cents worth, the first thing i liked about this place was the pools,very kid friendly for all ages ,we brought our 2 year old and the kiddy pool was perfect,someone commented about the rough floor,well better rough then slippery,( and it wasn't all that bad ),next the room was very clean and looked like it was painted with in the last year,it was pretty quiet too but we stayed on wed. and thursday night,i also liked the patio doors and balcony, a sreen would have been nice though,staff was friendly,and the cleaning person had done a good job of picking up after our messy Grandaughter,,now some of the downfalls i read that didn't really bother me,,ok so they have real keys you have to use,,big deal,, they work better then the cards(if i had a nickle for everytime i swiped my card and didn't get the green light),,and NO there wasn't any bugs, believe me we checked ,,there was a bit of odor but not overwhelming ,i think most places do anyway,,a quick spray or 2 took care of it,,and the beds ,,well i loved them and my wife thought a little hard,,oh and the location is great.

3  Thank kevin s
Reviewed 15 July 2012

My friend and I stayed at the carousel for 2 nights with our 5yr olds. I read all of the reviews before we booked it, allong with all the other hotel/motel/resort all ated very low we had a great time! Yes they had metal keys-so what! There were NO bed bugs-the room was nice and cool when we arrived,and did not have a smell. So it doesnt have elevators-so? the stairs to the 2nd level were not bad at all-and I had thrown out my back and my friend had a sore ankle...we managed. The check in time is at 4pm-which u should have known while booking-however all the pools(both at carousel and wintergreen were open to you) even before you got room. We planned ahead and went swimming while we waited for our room. The pools were WONDERFUL and are great for little ones. In response to the "poop" in the pool-HELLO-MAYBE A LITTLE PERSON HAD AN ACCIDENT? The pool is shallow for children. I am sure that if it was poop they cleaned it. In fact everytime we were out of our rooms-something WAS being cleaned. The lifeguards were WONDERFUL! In fact we went swimming at the wintergreen and the lifeguards there sucked. The boy at the bottom of slide refused to even get into the water-instead sitting in the shade bitting his nails. we talked to him and he was very rude-must have been 16 yrs old or so and very disrespectful. we did talk to management. The carousel did look as if it had a fire and had caution tape around it-but THAT building was not being used. Our trip was 6 days in 3 different hotels from mn to wi. I fell in love with the carousel and will be back every yr to this place! A bonus is the use of the wintergreen hotel pools-just be sure to monitor your children because the lifeguards wont! Also drive down the strip-ALL of the hotels or resorts in wi dells are old. There are two that are new, which I would NEVER stay in(even if given a free night) because the lines of people for the slides were unbearable. There were so many people that you couldnt walk without bumping into another person. That is not vacation to me. Advice-read the reviews for all hotels in wi dells but try it, people just complain to complain. we had a great time and will for sure be back year afer year!

Room Tip: we stayed facing another parking lot-quiet. The rooms facing the pool may be noisy-pool closes at 10...
3  Thank elizabeth c
Reviewed 9 July 2012 via mobile

This hotel is very run down. It was probably great 20 years ago, but is need of major repair. One of the buildings has caution tape surrounding it and is closed- it appears there was a major fire. The pool area is mostly small and shallow pools for children but the floor of the pools is so bumpy it's uncomfortable to walk on/sit in. Our room was basic and fairly clean, except for the blankets. It appeared they hadn't been washed recently (I'll spare the details). Our room was missing pillows for the pull out couch, but they were brought up by the staff. It definitey didn't feel worth what we paid. I would expect a $150+ a night hotel to be cleaner and have more amenities. Many of the hotels nearby looked much better kept up.

• Stayed: July 2012
1  Thank Ker8
Reviewed 5 July 2012

Check in is at 4:00. There were 2 guys checking in. We arrived at 3:00ish and waited for some time in line. The guys were telling everyone their rooms weren't ready yet. Thought that odd, so the maid is going to clean all these rooms in 1/2 hr?? Whatever! When we finally got to the desk the guy got a phone call and he tells us we can't check in til 4. I discovered that. However, everyone else at least checked in??? So we went to the other line and got checked in. Metal keys to enter? Does any business have these any more?? LOL This is a 2 story motel with NO elevators, the volume on the TV was goofy, it went from too low to too loud, room stunk, balcony floor was all sticky, no coffee pot or microwave in room, pools inside/outside appeared clean the 2 days we were there, air-conditioner worked, bedding smelled clean, not so sure about the rest of the room. The place just really needs updates and a DEEP cleaning! We had a discount coupon, so we got our room for $49 and $69. We weren't expecting much for that price and didn't plan on spending a whole lot of time at the motel. But even the little bit of time we WERE there was disappointing. We thought, how sad for anyone else paying more because it definitely is not worth it!

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
Alakai Hotel and Suites
Alakai Hotel and Suites
#24 of 75 in Wisconsin Dells
SpringHill Suites by Marriott Wisconsin Dells
SpringHill Suites by Marriott Wi...
#9 of 75 in Wisconsin Dells
Best Western Ambassador Inn & Suites
Best Western Ambassador Inn & Su...
#3 of 75 in Wisconsin Dells
Grand Marquis Waterpark Hotel & Suites
Grand Marquis Waterpark Hotel & ...
#15 of 75 in Wisconsin Dells

Been to Carousel Inn & Suites? Share your experiences!