I will start by admitting that I have some sentimental attachment with this property, having visted many times as a child back when it was the Playboy Club. I was a child in the mid to late 70s, and my family had a 1-week a year vacation pacakge, so lots of wonderful memories. I also made it up a few times when in College when it was the Americana - then it was not quite as nice, but still fun for the memories.
After about a 20 year absence, I have visted twice recently (Summer and Fall) wife my family, and I am quite pleased to advise that this property is awesome!!! It is frankly nicer, though perhaps a bit more congested with the new Water Park and additional hotels, than it ever was -- even during its Playboy heyday (though sans the Bunnies - althought there is a small "shrine" with many Playboy-era Hotel artifacts that really cool!).
- The ROOM ACCOMODATIONS are great, and typically include a balcony - see attached picture, and the Frank Lloyd Wright-inspired architecture is super cool and retro!.
- The GRAND GENEVA CLUB is wonderful, albeit for a modest upcharge. The Club offers all-inclusive breakfast (that changes from day to day), and at night has snacks and alcohol. Nice! It almost keeps you at the Resort 24/7 if you wish.
- The LOCATION is phenomenal - both nearby to Chicago (and Milwaukee and Rockford), and the GROUNDS are immaculate. I am not a golfer, but we did go for a nice nature walk. The is also a great FREE TROLLEY bus tour that tells you "tons of fun stuff" that informs about the history of the property - did you know that Guns n Roses and many other bands actually recorded albums at a studio that used to reside within the main hotel property?. Also there is a Trolley Tour of Downtown Lake Geneva, though that is slight fee.
We went with our family of 3, including our 8-year old son. He LOVED the outdoor swimming pool (nice bar too) during Summer, and when we returned in Fall, the indoor pool is quite nice as well. He also really enjoyed the Water Park. Thus, it's great for family! Having said that, I could easily see a weekend get-a-way with the college buddies as well, so its quite flexible for a wonderful weekend.
The only slight knock is that it's a tiny bit pricey, but this can be alleviated with a multi-night discounted stay, and the RESERVATION people are also very, very friendly and helpful (mine actually lived down the street from me in Chicago for a while).
Bottom line is that for a quick weekend trip from Chicago, this can't be beat. I must also add that we stoped at the Brat Stop on the way. All in all, a wonderful 4-Star Resort in the Midwest. Who'd a thunk it???
We can't wait to go back to see the Winter Holiday lights - which are also supposed to be superb! :)
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Grand Geneva® Resort is the place to meet. Whether a corporate meeting, convention or a gathering with friends and family, the endless range of meeting rooms & space and activities will keep everyone engaged. Conveniently located between Chicago and Milwaukee, there is so much to do at Lake Geneva’s only four diamond resort.Corporate travelers and families alike will find what they need to re-focus, relax or rev-up. With over 62,000 square feet of banquet space, guests have multiple options to choose from for that important business meeting, church retreat, wedding reception or family vacation. Or take time and enjoy a relaxing experience at the newly renovated WELL Spa or one of many dining options, while an indoor waterpark and kid’s program offer the excitement kids crave. Enjoy a group bonfire at the horse stables, a fast plunge down a ski hill, a serene walk through the trails or a drive down a fairway on two championship golf courses – all situated on Grand Geneva’s seemingly endless acres.No matter your reason for meeting….it’s all here in one Grand location in Lake Geneva, Wisconsin. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Agoda and Hotels.com so you can book your Grand Geneva Resort & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Grand Geneva Resort And Spa
- Grand Geneva Hotel Lake Geneva
- Grand Geneva Lake
- Lake Geneva Illinois