“Wonderful holiday getaway”

Grand Geneva Resort & Spa
Ranked #5 of 15 Hotels in Lake Geneva
Reviewed 11 March 2014

We stayed the week between Christmas and New Years. There was a great deal if you stayed 4 nights and prepaid but couldn't stay over New Years! We flew into Milwaukee and drove over- maybe an hour. I had thought the resort was out in the country but there is a town right next to it. Target, Walmart, and lots of places to eat.

We also paid for the club level and I would highly recommend this. It was around $50 a day and gives you access to club level room, breakfast items, cocktails and appetizers in the evening, desserts, and non-alcoholic drinks all day. My kids preferred cereal from the coffee shop. It was nice to hang out down there, watch tv, and play games/cards with the kids. We ate at the lobby restaurant daily, breakfast buffet once, few lunches and dinners. The service was slow each time. The food was good and priced for the type of resort it is. You could also order of the menu when they had the breakfast and dinner buffets. They have a unique mango tea that surprised me and was really good. Some of the family ate at the ski lift and it was more cafeteria style.

The rooms were fine and we had reserved a lake view room. We were in building 5 close to the main lobby and restaurant. Room was functional and roomy enough for a family of 4. The indoor pool was huge and there was also a hot tub. It filled up as the day went on and people came back from skiing.

My family spent time at the gym, spa, and ski lifts. It was freezing out and too cold for us to want to me outside a lot, the gym has a large free play area with basketball, indoor tennis courts, volleyball, and little kid soccer goals. There is a full fitness center too. You needed reservations for tennis. My tween daughter had two spa treatment and enjoyed them- facial and nails. I liked waiting for her in the lounge too- quiet room, loungers, and light snacks. I had time to read a book. The skiers enjoyed the mountain and another local ski area. The mountain is small and good for easy runs and learners. My husband liked that they would slow down the lifts for my son to get off. He liked the more challenging ski runs at the other ski areas- less than a half hour drive. They had also set up a gaming area for kids in a ballroom area. They had game systems and table tennis set up for free. You could also check out games. There were also arcade games to pay for. They showed a kids movie every night in a conference room. There was an activities schedule and you could always find something to do.

The Christmas decorations were really great and festive. There wasn't time to see shows and do everything outdoors too. We did walk around to see everything and took the nighttime trolley to see the lights. We had planned to go to the water park at the other property on sight but never made it there.

I hope to come back sometime in the summer too,

Room Tip: There were multiple buildings- ask for one of the middle buildings to be close to main lobby. Would...
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank llamamamaof2

Reviewed 10 March 2014

Not only was my room extremely clean and comfortable, but they thought of the smallest touches having two bottles of water waiting for me in my room after a full day at a conference. That was awesome! Thank you!

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
Tom M, General Manager at Grand Geneva Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 25 March 2014

Thank you for the kind review! I'm happy to hear that a small touch the others may overlook made an impression on you. Our staff takes great pride in all aspects of the resort and works hard to make sure every guest is attended to.
Best Regards,

Reviewed 10 March 2014

I have stayed here many, many times and my experiences have been positive overall, despite a few misses on occasion. But this particular weekend was excellent. We spent a great day in the Water Park in which is a hidden gem and full of fun activities. We all loved the slides and pools and capped off our day with a couple of hours at the Arcade. The service (especially with the arcade attendant) was excellent. The next day we attended a family water exercise class and had a blast. The instructor was engaging and energetic and the exercise routines were well organized. The next day I attended a spinning class and also thoroughly enjoyed it. The bikes are high-tech and a joy to ride and the instructor treated the class to an Olympic-themed class which was creative and energizing. What a memorable weekend!

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family

I'm so happy to hear that you and your family enjoyed your stay with us! The waterpark is truly a great place to spend some quality time with the family. Thank you for the compliments on the fitness classes, I will be sure to share them with the staff as they work hard to come up with new and creative ways to exercise and stay healthy, even on vacation.
Best Regards,

Reviewed 10 March 2014

We stayed here recently and loved it. The Grand Geneva staff is always pleasant and tries to go out of their way to please. We picked a bad time to stay because there was an Irish Dance Competition taking place but that really didn't bother us, other than the pool being so crowded we couldn't use it. We did find other things to do so it was OK. Our room was great, we had a king suite that had a king bed and pull out sofa. Everyone in my family was quite content with the accommodations. The dining was also excellent. We had two meals on the property and both were wonderful. We did have one problem that wasn't resolved and I'm not sure if it could have been. The room next to us had a dog. Why dogs are allowed at this resort is the question, The dog barked constantly. I called the front desk three times and each time was told they would send security to the room. The barking never stopped. All I can say is if I am paying $400 a night for a room I don't want to listen to someones dog bark. I can hear that at home from the neighbors dog. I think the pet policy should be reviewed or pet owners placed together away from guests that don't want to listen to it. Other that that we were very happy with the stay.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 9 March 2014 via mobile

Awful! Awful! Terrible service.
Beautiful to look at. A waste of
Money. Parking was a joke. Staff clueless. Mold in bathrooms. Cold in public areas.
Food took over a hour and was no better than Golden Coral.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
4  Thank Sue K
Tom M, General Manager at Grand Geneva Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 11 March 2014

Thank you for sharing your feedback. We hope to improve our service levels through addressing concerns and opportunities by listening to guest feedback like yours. I am very sorry you experienced less than satisfactory customer service during you stay. If you wish to discuss your stay further please feel free to contact me directly at (262) 249-4713.

Regards,
Managing Director

Reviewed 7 March 2014

I have stayed at the Grand Geneva many times. I have always enjoyed my stay. This time our room looked great when we went in but soon realized it wasn't. This is the coldest winter we have had in a very long time and the only bedding provided was two sheets and a thin blanket. No comforter or top cover on the bed. When we inquired about this and asked for more bedding we were told that this is all that is provided. WHAT? The overflow in the sink was disgusting and there was mold in the corners of the shower. There is such a long walk from some of the rooms to the pool. We will not be staying anymore.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank candlewick1
Tom M, General Manager at Grand Geneva Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 10 March 2014

Thank you for providing feedback on your recent stay. Please accept my apology for the experience that you had while you were our guest. Your concerns about your room cleanliness have been shared with our housekeeping team. We value all of our guest feedback as it helps us to improve our service to all of our guests. I welcome the opportunity to speak to you more about your recent stay. I am hopeful that given another chance, we can regain your trust in Grand Geneva. Our team looks forward to the opportunity.

Regards,
Managing Director

Reviewed 4 March 2014

I booked Grand Geneva for a girlfriends trip away for the weekend. They had exactly what I was looking for. The service was excellent, both at the front desk & in the spa. The spa had very knowledgeable people servicing their clients & the experience was amazing. My friend & I ate dinner & had brunch at Chophouse restaurant & while a little more on the pricey side, it was well worth it. The food was amazing & possibly the best brunch I have ever been to. Thank you Grand Geneva for making my girls weekend getaway, memorable.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends