“Girls Getaway”

Grand Geneva Resort & Spa
Ranked #5 of 15 Hotels in Lake Geneva
Reviewed 18 August 2014

Four Girlfriends decided last minute for a quick getaway to catch up on gossip, play tennis and revel in the beauty of Lake Geneva.
We arrived early but were able to pass the time in the Geneva Club which offered libations and small bites.
Our room did not disappoint. Had a great view of the golf course and nice decor.
We were able to use the pool which relaxing and the spa where we had massages and facials. All services were amazing! Would definitely bring back the whole family next time!

Room Tip: If you are challenged by stairs ask for rooms on the 2nd floor
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends

Reviewed 17 August 2014

Stayed here one night for a wedding. We were given a 2 double bed room on 3rd floor facing the lake (off in the distance) in a quiet area as requested. Room was ready early also as requested since we needed to get ready for wedding. Refrigerator did not work, but an additional dorm size fridge was delivered while we were at the wedding, which was appreciated. Beds are really very small. Bathroom very small. Balcony was so small, I'm not sure how we could have sat out there and been able to move our legs. The $15 resort fee is ridiculous. I can do without the bottle of water and I did not need valet parking. Not sure what else it covers, but we didn't use any extras. The internet access was poor. There was not one outlet that we could use by the bed to charge our phones. We had to unplug something else in order to use an outlet, which was really just an extension cord we found behind the bed. The a/c doesn't work well in the hotel. Our room was never very cool. We were told the a/c went out in the entire hotel the day before. When I booked the room months ago, I asked for the AARP rate for our room even though we were with a wedding group. I was told if we didn't use the wedding rate we could miss out on activities tied to the wedding. We would have saved about $30 off the room, but I went with the group wedding rate. The only thing this was tied to was a gift bag from the bride and groom, which the hotel never delivered. I had to ask for it. This resort is too spread out, very confusing. Some of the carpeting in halls needs to be replaced. Outdated green color and very dirty. The carpet in our room was stained. Our room was very quiet though and we were not disturbed by other guests. I was happy not to be near the rooms where I could hear barking dogs as I walked by. Why are dogs allowed in what is supposed to be a luxury resort? The cafe had a wonderful breakfast though. Very generous portions and pleasant surroundings as well as great service. I don't think I would ever stay here again. The rooms are very overpriced and the amenities certainly don't justify an additional $15/night for resort fees.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Illinois1
Tom M, General Manager at Grand Geneva Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 21 August 2014

Thank you so much for sharing your feedback on your stay. I am very sorry we didn't meet or exceed your expectations this stay. We strive to deliver the highest level of customer service for each stay. I have shared your comments with my team and we will use these comments to help us improve for the future. Please reach out to me if you decide you would like to give us another chance in the future.

Reviewed 16 August 2014 via mobile

This was our first stay at the Grand Geneva. We booked through Tingo (also a first) and that was a nice experience. Our room was on the first floor in Bldg7- the farthest from the lobby. Note that the first floor is a flight of stairs down, not ground floor. We were looking for a getaway and parking is outside each building so we didn't mind this at all. The room was a double double Lakeview and the view was spectacular. There is a nominal resort fee that can be sneaky if you don't read the fine print but it leaves me wondering why the room isn't just $15 more per night, since you pay this whether you use all the amenities or not. It seems like a resort of this magnitude could just lump it into a slightly higher rate without question. It was annoying to have a separate charge for this upon checkout, and then it left me wondering what it was for. To be honest, the reasoning for the charges are silly. They include 2 bottles of fresh water (per visit), cable (?) and some other normal things I can't remember from the hotel binder. I hope they use the funding from this to enlarge the ridiculously small outdoor pool which was overly packed during our stay...so much for peaceful, relaxing getaway... We have small girls so did not use this service because the pool was rowdy and there were absolutely no lounge chairs to be had. There was no room to swim and people were just hanging around in the pool because of that. Despite a notice at the pool entrance that states that unused chairs left for more that 30 minutes without use will be cleared for other guests, there was no one actually doing this when we asked. Most of the seats had sunglasses or a towel on them, which was frustrating. The other issue I have is the poor housekeeping. We stayed three nights and only on the last afternoon did housekeeping come to our room in the late afternoon. We had just returned to clean up from the beach so had to send them away. Basic housekeeping is regular service at most high end resorts...I am puzzled about this and it takes the resort down a notch or two in my opinion. I had to call twice for clean towels and toilet paper for our family of four. It would have been nice to have trash removed as well. Again, the $15: Can I elect for this to cover housekeeping?

We may stay here again just because the grounds are so pleasant and it's off the beaten path a bit. The resort is well taken care of and the rooms are very nice. The amenities do not seem commensurate with the cost or the service fees, so we will definitely check into other options as well. It wasn't nearly as nice of an experience as I had hoped for.

Stayed: August 2014
1  Thank MamaCruz0610
Tom M, General Manager at Grand Geneva Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 18 August 2014

Thank you so much for taking the time to provide feedback on your recent stay. I am so glad to hear that you enjoyed the grounds during your stay. I am sorry that we didn't explain the resort fee to you very well. The resort fee covers the trolley transportation around the grounds, the Internet access in your room and around the resort, valet parking, access to the Fitness Center, local and toll free calls as well as the items you mentioned like the bottled waters each night. I have also shared your housekeeping comments with my team here. Your room should have been serviced for you every day of your stay. We would love for you to come back and stay with us again. If there is anything we can do to help you make your next reservation please call me at (262) 249-4713.

Reviewed 16 August 2014

I hate to write a bad review but I feel I need to warn others about my experience. I had a tablet stolen from my room while staying at the Grand Geneva resort.

If my tablet hadn't come up missing this would have been a good trip, no other complaints.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Mmrrddss21

I am very sorry to hear of this. I checked with our security department and they didn't have a record of this issue on file. Can you please reach out to us so we can look into the issue more at (262) 249-4713? We would love to get a few more details and help get this resolved. Thanks for taking the time to provide feedback on your recent stay.

Reviewed 13 August 2014

My husband and I stayed at the Grand Geneva for 3 nights. It is a comfortable resort. We requested a quiet, high floor as we did not have children. The staff made every attempt to make us comfortable. The stay was overall quiet and the bed extremely comfortable. The customer service at this resort is top notch. The interactions with the staff was superb. My husband played golf and thought the 2 courses were fabulous. I had a spa service and it was good, but the spa is in need of updating and cleaning. I did not want to shower there as there was "stuff" all over the floor and a funny smell in the spa due to all the exercising. It is not a "quiet" spa….high school teams were walking through the spa. The restaurants were very good and the food above average. We also tried restaurants in town and I would recommend you stay to eat at the resort. There was much attention to detail and would recommend this resort for families. Good management!

Room Tip: quiet rooms are higher floors…..if you have children, it is more convenient on the lower floors
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank VirginiaLuvtogo
Tom M, General Manager at Grand Geneva Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 10 September 2014

Thank you for your comments and compliments. I will be sure to address the issues with the Spa Director personally. Thank you again and we hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed 13 August 2014 via mobile

I loved the spa! We got treated very kindly and warmly. It was my first time and I got very reassured. I almost fell asleep!! The hotel is absolutely beautiful! The room is very comfortable and my dog absolutely loved the little doggy treat they gave us. The breakfast place was amazing and the servers were hysterical!! Very fun and soo much to entertain yourself with.

Stayed: August 2014

Thanks you for sharing your review with us. I am so happy to hear the you enjoyed the spa, I will share your compliments with the staff, they will be happy to hear them! Thank you again and we hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed 13 August 2014

This was a great experience I have never been more relaxed!!! The Staff was always there to help or get whatever you needed. The fire pit at night was excellent and food is always the best!!! Pool was clean room was comfortable and if you needed anything it was done quickly and with a friendly smile. Top resort and great customer service.
Glen K

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you for sharing your 5 star review. I am happy to hear that you had a chance to enjoy Embers Terrace Fire Pit, it is one of my favorite spots at the resort. We hope to see you again soon.