“Shocked by all of the great reviews”
Review of Geneva Inn

Geneva Inn
Ranked #1 of 15 Hotels in Lake Geneva
Reviewed 28 July 2011

I have very mixed feelings about the Geneva Inn: The Pros: quaint boutique hotel, really really nice staff, if you choose to stay on the lakeview side, the quick glance I got of the view was really beautiful, and they have a free shuttle that runs until 10PM if you want to go have dinner and drinks without worrying about driving. The Cons: I don't mind outdated, but that doesn't have to mean stinky too. We pulled up in the parking lot to a cute little hotel. I was excited as I love quaint vs boring. The interior was outdated, but not in a bad way. We got in the room on the 3rd floor and the first thing we noticed is it smelled like grandma's attic. Not acceptable in my opinion, but we opened the french doors and cranked the air conditioning for a couple of hours hoping that would fix the problem. After almost two hours, I finally went downstairs to see if we could swap rooms; but they didn't have any other rooms to put us in unless we wanted to upgrade to a lakeview room, which I didn't feel was appropriate to have to pay for since I didn't care about the view. They offered us a air purifier machine but told us it could only be put in the room if we were out of it. We left, came back two hours later to change to go to dinner and it smelled a little better. We left an hour later and during the turndown service someone apparently closed our french doors which was allowing the fresh air to come in. We came back late at night to a stinky room again, but we were too exhausted to deal with it; so I cranked the air and opened the doors again--which of course was letting all of the bugs in b/c of our patio light. When we got under the covers, the blanket over the sheet but under the top cover (the one you can take off) smelled like the grosest stinky feet ever. I almost vomited it was so bad. I had to pull off both blankets and just sleep under the sheet (but I was cold b/c the air was cranked to get the musty smell out). I finally got our room changed to another one the next day when someone checked out (with no more than 3 hours sleep) which put a damper on our next day out and about in town b/c I was not well rested. The other room was fine, but because I had already been grossed out by the first room, it was hard to feel completely comfortable. The other CON: I found it ridiculous that I was staying in a hotel in a resort town that had absolutely no maps or shelves with brochures on all of the fun things to do in town. I was told we could drive downtown and go to the Chamber of Commerce to get brochures and a map (oh fun, that's what I want to do when I am on vacation--run around town to find the Chamber so I can figure out what to do on my weekend trip). I went to the Chamber and asked how it was that I was staying in the only hotel in town without "town walking maps" and brochures. One lady quipped...that's b/c they are not members of the Chamber, but they could still get brochures for their guests. I was told they have heard that complaint before. Apparently it doesn't matter to the management b/c I brought it to their attention that I was disappointed by that and they didn't seem to flinch. So, on one hand, it had some nice features (mainly the nice staff) and on the other hand, I expect to stay in a room that smells great with clean blankets and carpets.

Room Tip: Lakeview rooms have a beautiful view, but more expensive. Smell your room and blankets before you de...
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
10  Thank chicago60614
Maia W, Manager at Geneva Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 6 February 2013

We appreciate your kind comments about the "pros" and are sorry that you found the room stuffy. We make an effort to check the ventilation and air conditioning in every room prior to guest arrival, and should have done a better job for your arrival.
We do offer personalized concierge service, and we have plenty of maps and brochures available.
The reason we do not belong to the local chamber of commerce is that they would require us to charge our guests a premium sales tax on top of local and state taxes.
We hope you will give us another chance to prove our quality and dedication to superior guest service.

Reviewed 27 July 2011

My mom and I stayed for only one night. Very pretty, right on the lake and you can walk the path directly behind the hotel to town in 2.2 miles. If you can't make it back, the shuttle can pick you up in town which is a nice feature of this hotel. The dining room has a beautiful view of the lake and a nicer continental breakfast than most hotel chains. You can even bring your breakfast outside. The rooms are spacious and clean. The bedding is fine- not bad by any means but not ultra plush or anything. Turn down service with some chocolate and sparkling water was a nice touch. The staff at the front desk were nice. I did get some restaurant recommendations from them. However, some were not sure, one sent us to a restaurant she hadn't been before hoping to get our recommendations, and then finally a direct recommendation. They did offer DVD's and VHS's to use in our room for no fee and offered movie recommendations which was great! Overall, very good service here. From what I saw, this is a quiet, classy getaway,- perfect for those looking for just that.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank Straightforwardme
Reviewed 21 July 2011

Lots of atmosphere and old world charm and fabulous view of Lake Geneva. The lake view rooms are a bit more expensive but defnititely worth it. We had two rooms, one was land side and one was lake side. The lake view also shows the sunset. Both rooms were very spacious and comfortable - the bathrooms especially were nice. Large shower and large separate tub with whirlpool jets. AIn room 102, there was an old style t.v. and carpet was rather dingy and stained. I round the beds too soft, but others liked it. I wish there was more light in the room - the various lamps just weren't bright enough. I was disappointed in the workout room - only a small TV and not mounted on the wall and the remote didn't work. Also no towels provided - for the price, they really should get a flat screen and towels in there. But the overall service was excellent and they provide free bottled water and chocolate with the turn down service. The on site restaurant is quite wonderful - we had a dinner and lunch there. The breakfast that is included in the room price was rather disappointing though - nice fruit, but just small pastries and cereal, yogurt and cold cuts - nothing hot. Again for the price, could have provided at least fresh baked muffins. The hotel provided a free shuttle to the Lake where we caught one of the many boat tours offered. This was great since there was a heat wave and we didn't have to park and walk. Overall, I recommend the hotel but since it costs about $200 per night - go for the lake view room!

Room Tip: Room 103 is perfect if you are elderly or need handicap accessories - it is first floor, very close...
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 1 July 2011

The hotel is very clean, great and accommodating staff and is ideally located on the lake. Lake front rooms are worth the extra $. This was our first stay but will go back. Highly recommend. It is worth the extra coin to do this occasionally

• Stayed: June 2011
2  Thank Newamica
Reviewed 26 June 2011

We finished our road trip with 3 nights in this beautiful peaceful hotel. I chose it because of reviews on TA and was not disappointed. We did not have a lake view room but we loved sitting on our balcony on the land side. We overlooked the car park which sounds pretty awful but there were lots of trees and it was very quiet and tranquil, just bird song.
Our room was beautiful, nice toiletries, a turn down service in the evening, complimentary coffee on each floor in the mornings, complimentary newspaper on week days. Staff were helpful and courteous. The restaurant overlooked the lake and the small town was only a short drive away.
A perfect place to end our holiday. Cost $585 for 3 nights including breakfast about £365.

Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
4  Thank tembo
Reviewed 9 May 2011

My daughters purchased a room at the Geneva Inn so we could celebrate our 39th Wedding Anniversary. I enjoyed every part of our stay from the four poster bed to the wonderful balcony. It is a very romantic little inn. We also had dinner in The Grandview Restaurtant in the hotel which is has the most awesome view of Lake Geneva and delicious food. We also loved the free continental breakfast which was served in The Grandview which consisted of cerealy, tea, coffee, juice, ham, cheeses, fruit, croissants, toast and English muffins and yummy sweet rolls. All in all it was a wonderful way to celebrate our anniversary. I think we might just celebrate our anniversary at The Geneva Inn every year.

Room Tip: Get a room overlooking the lake! So relaxing!
  • Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Karenalsbury
Reviewed 14 April 2011

We stayed one evening just to get away and spend a day in Lake Geneva. We cheaped out and got a landview room. My advice: If you are going to spend the money, go ahead and upgrade to the lakeview room. The landview room was still lovely, but I would rather sit on the patio and listen to seagulls than watch delivery trucks unload.

The room wasn't large, but wasn't cramped. There was a large closet, a sink outside the bathroom with a small fridge (complimentary bottled water), an armoire with a tv, two comfy chairs, a desk, and a king size bed.

The bathroom was huge. There was a stand-up shower, hot tub, sink with large counter, and of course a toilet. There were too many mirrors in the bathroom, I don't want to be able to see my reflection while sitting on the crapper. The toilet may have been a handicapped toilet, it was a bit high. My feet dangled in the air. There was a small chair under the counter top, so I had to slide it over to the toilet as a foot rest. The hot tub wasn't really big enough for two. I am 5'3" and it may have comfortably held two of me, but me and my 6'4" travelling partner together displaced about all the water in the tub. It is nice, but not practical.

The bed was super comfortable. The room was so clean I didn't do my usual search for pubes, bed bugs, and other stray bodily debris. The flower motif in the room creeped me out. I'm not much of a country motif gal.

We would probably stay there again, but will more likely just find the same room in another hotel in a town that isn't Lake Geneva - i.e. priced at double the actual value.

The hotel offered turndown service, but by 8:30pm still hadn't showed. We put up the 'DND' sign and went to bed. Being early to bed-early to risers, we were a bit disappointed that there was no coffee maker in the room, and coffee service didn't start for a good two hours after we woke up (coffee at 7am).

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple