“Nice Resort But Small And Crowded”

Timber Ridge Lodge & Waterpark
Ranked #3 of 15 Hotels in Lake Geneva
Reviewed 30 March 2014

This is the first time I have taken my family to Timber Ridge. We usually head to the Dells from Milwaukee where we live and we loved the shorter drive to Lake Geneva. When we arrived at the property we were very impressed with the whole outside layout. The grounds were very appealing. We were also very happy when we got into our room. The room was very large for a family of 5 and we loved the full fridge and eating space. The bathroom also had lots of space. The room was a big plus compared to the rooms we have stayed in at other water parks. The room was very clean and well-stocked.

At the water park there is more for older kids to do but not so much for the toddler age. The toddler pool was often crowded and didn't have much variety. The lifeguards were good and kept on people breaking the rules. I thought that was awesome because most times, parents aren't watching what their kids are doing and so it is nice that the lifeguards are. The only complaint I would have about the staff is that the lifeguards (the younger ones) did some bickering right in front of everyone when there was some kind of spill to clean up. They were fighting right in the middle of the park, kind of unprofessional in my opinion.

The only negatives involve the size of the water park. We must have been there during a Spring Break because the park was mobbed at times and there were no chairs, much less tubes for riding down the slides. The lazy river also got very crowded at times at the entrance point and one time, my son was squished by tubes trying to get out when our turn was over.

I was also bummed when I had to pay an extra $25 so that the 5th person in my family would be able to go to the water park. Our 1 bedroom suite only came with 4 passes. I don't remember ever encountering that at another park. From the price I paid for the room, it seems like all passes (within reason) should be included.

The arcade is a good size and well run. The man behind the counter came over to us twice on our visit to offer us some helpful tips about where to check the balance of our card. I thought that was really nice.

We would probably come back but only during the summertime. That way, there are more people spending their days outside and therefore everyone is more spread out. It was way too crowded in the winter. I would also love to head to downtown Lake Geneva during the warmer weather. The downtown area was charming and the lake was beautiful.

All in all it was a good experience but I don't know if it is cheap enough to pick it over the Dells and the variety found there. Anyone not willing to travel to the Dells though will enjoy their trip.

1  Thank Jill A
Tom M, General Manager at Timber Ridge Lodge & Waterpark, responded to this reviewResponded 10 April 2014

Jill A ~ Thank you for sharing your review regarding your recent stay at Timber Ridge Lodge. I was glad to read of your enjoyment of the grounds, suite, arcade and downtown Lake Geneva. You did visit during the height of our spring break season in which the hotel was at high occupancy. Our one bedroom suites come with four waterpark passes and our two bedroom suites come with six waterpark passes. I am sorry if that information was not provided during the reservation process. Also, please accept my apology for the unprofessional behavior you observed with our waterpark staff. I have spoken to our Director of Aquatics and asked him to address this with them. I hope you will sign up for our email blasts so that you know when we are running specials on room rates. You can also check our website for upcoming Hot Date Rates. I do hope you will come and visit again soon. Regards, Tom

There are newer reviews for Timber Ridge Lodge & Waterpark

Reviewed 28 March 2014

Family headed out to get away from this Winter funk & depression. Decided on Timber Ridge. Suggested by a friend, 20 Mins from home but felt like we were in the northwoods. Great place for my 2 year old daughter, wife and I. Video arcade was a hit as well as the water park. Plenty to do in downtown lake geneva as well to break up the activities. Most impressed by the level of service. Melissa the life guard made all attempts to remember the names of not only my daughter but ALL the kids as they came in contact. I expect her to move up quickly in the industry. Thanks for the great stay Timber Ridge!

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family

Rob7680 ~ Thank you for your kind review. I am so happy that you came to Timber Ridge Lodge to escape your “winter funk”. It certainly sounds like you enjoyed your stay. Thank you for recognizing Melissa in your review. She is a wonderful asset to our team and we are lucky to have her. It was our pleasure to have your family as our guests and I look forward to welcoming you back again soon. Regards, Tom

Reviewed 26 March 2014

Overall I have to go with a 4/5. A 5 I don't think would be far off though. There are two big negatives we encountered here. Our first was having to leave! We all had a great time, no one wanted to go home! That in no way affects the 4/5 vote though. In all seriousness the 4/5 vote is because of the check in process. I think something needs to be done in this area. I understand that check in can be a timely process but when combining a check in line with a line of current guests with questions or late check outs means long lines. We literally stood in line for 30 mins while the kids are overlooking the waterpark and we have no choice but to tell them to wait. Not easy for parents with young antsy children. Some sort of express check in or maybe mail out the first days waterpark passes would be helpful.

All employees of the resort we encountered were very friendly. There were even a couple members of the lifeguard staff that were very friendly with the kids and got to know them. It's something I know the kids really enjoyed!

We had a two bedroom loft style room and it was spectacular!! The kids loved having their own room and bathroom. The full kitchen was great too! I only wish the room had an oven instead of just a stovetop.

We didn't get a chance to try out the poolside restaurant it looked good and convenient. We did go to Smokeys. Decent service, ok food but a bit expensive for the quality. We also took advantage of a trolly ride to the Grand Geneva for gelato. Here we encountered 2 very friendly employees. Well worth the ride over!

One last difficulty we ran into was charging to our room account. We charged to our room account at the arcade, Trader Jacks, Smokeys and Cafe Gelato. This seems to be a hassle for employees whenever we did this. The arcade and Gelato supervisor said they have to call and confirm our stay before charging. Trader Jacks and Smokeys have you fill out a receipt which wasn't overly difficult but just more of a hassle than just paying cash or using another credit card.

Again overall our stay was great and we will return again in the future. We would definitely recommend Timber Ridge to friends and family!

Thanks Timber Ridge Employees!

• Stayed: March 2014
Tom M, General Manager at Timber Ridge Lodge & Waterpark, responded to this reviewResponded 9 April 2014

Rocks-on-vacation~ Thank you for your kind and detailed review. I laughed when I read that one of the negatives was that you had to leave Timber Ridge Lodge. For me, that was music to my ears! I appreciate all of your positive feedback and I will share it with my staff. Please accept my apology for the two issues you brought to my attention. I am sorry if the check in process put a damper on your trip. I totally understand how difficult it can be when young children are excited to get into the water park. In addition, when our guests charge incidentals to their room accounts it is for the protection of our all of our guests that we verify the room number matches the guest name on file. I am sorry that you found it to be a bit of a hassle. I truly appreciate the recommendation of Timber Ridge to your family and friends. I look forward to welcoming you back again soon. Regards, Tom

Reviewed 26 March 2014

My Family has been coming to The Timber Ridge Lodge for several Years. The rooms are clean, the staff is very friendly and helpfull and the grounds are safe. My kids love this place . I would recomend this hotel to everyone with a young family.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family

Steve S~ The title of your review made me smile immediately. I love to read the feedback of our returning guests especially those who live as far away as you do. I truly appreciate the kind words you shared and am glad to read of your enjoyment of the rooms, staff and our beautiful grounds. Thank you for the recommendation. It is much appreciated. Regards, Tom

Reviewed 19 March 2014 via mobile

Hotel is a little dated. Room itself is big and clean. the hotel itself needs new carpets and a pain job.

The staff are quite young and inexperienced in customer service - couple of bad experiences.

The pool area is great fun. Had breakfast - small selection but was decent quality. Overall the hotel was ok but is not cheap so for that reason I would not be returning.

Stayed: March 2014

itsmspadge1~ Thank you for taking the time to comment on your recent visit to Timber Ridge Lodge. Please accept my apology for your impression of the common areas of the hotel and the customer service that you experienced. After our busy spring break period we had the hallway carpets cleaned throughout the resort. I hope you will reconsider and visit Timber Ridge Lodge the next time you are in the area. Regards, Tom

Reviewed 19 March 2014

Here right now and every time I toss while sleep the loudest bed ever wakes me up. I can hear the noisiest pull- out bed ever too. I don't know if these r the cheap seats because of Groupon and they put us in the worst room or what. Also my bed smells like vomit. My daughter had fun at the watermark but omg this bed is so loud I don't think I'll ever sleep.

• Stayed: March 2014

Tsiemb~ Thank you for taking the time to comment on your recent stay at Timber Ridge Lodge. Please accept our sincere apology for the experience regarding the noisy bed. Please be assured that our rooms are not assigned by the rate or package type. I am happy that your daughter had fun in the waterpark. I hope you will consider returning in the future. Regards, Tom

Reviewed 14 March 2014

We had the double suite room which was more than enough room for our family of five included two under three year old and a six year old and of course there is the waterpark which we didn't get to enjoy as much as we wanted to great time and great place to stay

1  Thank Benfam5

Benfam5~ Thank you for your review. I appreciate your feedback regarding your stay. I hope to welcome you back again in the future. Regards, Tom