“Stigma here”

Ranked #3 of 15 Hotels in Lake Geneva
Oak p
“Stigma here”
Reviewed 5 April 2014 via mobile

Hello to my dismay I am writing because I was informed after my visit at grand Geneva resort that I did not have to stay at timber ridge to be able to utilize the water park as upon arrival the young lady stated that we could not although we were going to pay at the time could not utilize the water park as we had to purchase through grand Geneva as they are both the same corporation. Speaking to the concierge today at grand Geneva as well as the reservationist at timber ridge both confirmed that should not have been the case as I'm a little baffled. Now what was the reason in which the person dis serviced us as we were residing at the grand Geneva if there was some motivate behind this where as now I speak to someone and they state we are defiantly able to buy tickets at timber ridge if we are staying at grand Geneva very much in disbelief of the stigma that still goes on.

Stayed March 2014
Tom M, General Manager at Timber Ridge Lodge & Waterpark, responded to this review, 10 April 2014
Jenise C ~ Please accept my apology for the confusion regarding the waterpark passes. Guests staying at Timber Ridge Lodge receive wristbands included in their room rate, where as guests of the Grand Geneva Resort purchase them separately. While Timber Ridge Lodge is on the same property as the Grand Geneva Resort it is owned by a homeowners association and therefore waterpark passes are distributed differently. The Grand Geneva receives a daily allotment of wristbands to the waterpark for their guests. Since we only have a certain number of daily passes available to guests at the Grand Geneva, we do ask that they purchase them from their front desk. This is especially important during peak periods such as spring break when both hotels are at high occupancy so that we can monitor the occupancy in the waterpark. Again, I apologize for any misinformation that you may have received regarding this. I will address this with my team to ensure this does not happen in the future. Regards, Tom

Solo
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (277)
Naperville, Illinois, United States
Reviewed 31 March 2014

Nice accommodations, enjoying the full kitchen. The water park is nice but smaller than expected. We misread the info and thought The 50000 square feet was all indoor, but that includes the outdoor areas as well which are not open in March. Located close to many stores and the downtown area. Best for kids 10 and under though we have two teens with us who are still enjoying.

Room Tip: Avoid rooms near waterpark.
1 Thank Gail F
Gail F~ Thank you for taking the time to share your comments regarding your recent stay at Timber Ridge Lodge. I am glad that your family enjoyed the resort and other amenities around Lake Geneva. Many would agree that our waterpark is smaller than some of the “mega waterparks” in Wisconsin, which is a benefit to those families who feel comfortable in a smaller environment. Also, we are not open to the public like a lot of other hotel waterparks are. I hope that you will come and visit us again. Regards, Tom
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Reviewed 30 March 2014

This is the first time I have taken my family to Timber Ridge. We usually head to the Dells from Milwaukee where we live and we loved the shorter drive to Lake Geneva. When we arrived at the property we were very impressed with the whole outside layout. The grounds were very appealing. We were also very happy when we got into our room. The room was very large for a family of 5 and we loved the full fridge and eating space. The bathroom also had lots of space. The room was a big plus compared to the rooms we have stayed in at other water parks. The room was very clean and well-stocked.

At the water park there is more for older kids to do but not so much for the toddler age. The toddler pool was often crowded and didn't have much variety. The lifeguards were good and kept on people breaking the rules. I thought that was awesome because most times, parents aren't watching what their kids are doing and so it is nice that the lifeguards are. The only complaint I would have about the staff is that the lifeguards (the younger ones) did some bickering right in front of everyone when there was some kind of spill to clean up. They were fighting right in the middle of the park, kind of unprofessional in my opinion.

The only negatives involve the size of the water park. We must have been there during a Spring Break because the park was mobbed at times and there were no chairs, much less tubes for riding down the slides. The lazy river also got very crowded at times at the entrance point and one time, my son was squished by tubes trying to get out when our turn was over.

I was also bummed when I had to pay an extra $25 so that the 5th person in my family would be able to go to the water park. Our 1 bedroom suite only came with 4 passes. I don't remember ever encountering that at another park. From the price I paid for the room, it seems like all passes (within reason) should be included.

The arcade is a good size and well run. The man behind the counter came over to us twice on our visit to offer us some helpful tips about where to check the balance of our card. I thought that was really nice.

We would probably come back but only during the summertime. That way, there are more people spending their days outside and therefore everyone is more spread out. It was way too crowded in the winter. I would also love to head to downtown Lake Geneva during the warmer weather. The downtown area was charming and the lake was beautiful.

All in all it was a good experience but I don't know if it is cheap enough to pick it over the Dells and the variety found there. Anyone not willing to travel to the Dells though will enjoy their trip.

1 Thank Jill A
Jill A ~ Thank you for sharing your review regarding your recent stay at Timber Ridge Lodge. I was glad to read of your enjoyment of the grounds, suite, arcade and downtown Lake Geneva. You did visit during the height of our spring break season in which the hotel was at high occupancy. Our one bedroom suites come with four waterpark passes and our two bedroom suites come with six waterpark passes. I am sorry if that information was not provided during the reservation process. Also, please accept my apology for the unprofessional behavior you observed with our waterpark staff. I have spoken to our Director of Aquatics and asked him to address this with them. I hope you will sign up for our email blasts so that you know when we are running specials on room rates. You can also check our website for upcoming Hot Date Rates. I do hope you will come and visit again soon. Regards, Tom
Trevor, Wisconsin
Reviewed 28 March 2014

Family headed out to get away from this Winter funk & depression. Decided on Timber Ridge. Suggested by a friend, 20 Mins from home but felt like we were in the northwoods. Great place for my 2 year old daughter, wife and I. Video arcade was a hit as well as the water park. Plenty to do in downtown lake geneva as well to break up the activities. Most impressed by the level of service. Melissa the life guard made all attempts to remember the names of not only my daughter but ALL the kids as they came in contact. I expect her to move up quickly in the industry. Thanks for the great stay Timber Ridge!

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
Rob7680 ~ Thank you for your kind review. I am so happy that you came to Timber Ridge Lodge to escape your “winter funk”. It certainly sounds like you enjoyed your stay. Thank you for recognizing Melissa in your review. She is a wonderful asset to our team and we are lucky to have her. It was our pleasure to have your family as our guests and I look forward to welcoming you back again soon. Regards, Tom
Sheboygan Falls, Wisconsin
Reviewed 26 March 2014

Overall I have to go with a 4/5. A 5 I don't think would be far off though. There are two big negatives we encountered here. Our first was having to leave! We all had a great time, no one wanted to go home! That in no way affects the 4/5 vote though. In all seriousness the 4/5 vote is because of the check in process. I think something needs to be done in this area. I understand that check in can be a timely process but when combining a check in line with a line of current guests with questions or late check outs means long lines. We literally stood in line for 30 mins while the kids are overlooking the waterpark and we have no choice but to tell them to wait. Not easy for parents with young antsy children. Some sort of express check in or maybe mail out the first days waterpark passes would be helpful.

All employees of the resort we encountered were very friendly. There were even a couple members of the lifeguard staff that were very friendly with the kids and got to know them. It's something I know the kids really enjoyed!

We had a two bedroom loft style room and it was spectacular!! The kids loved having their own room and bathroom. The full kitchen was great too! I only wish the room had an oven instead of just a stovetop.

We didn't get a chance to try out the poolside restaurant it looked good and convenient. We did go to Smokeys. Decent service, ok food but a bit expensive for the quality. We also took advantage of a trolly ride to the Grand Geneva for gelato. Here we encountered 2 very friendly employees. Well worth the ride over!

One last difficulty we ran into was charging to our room account. We charged to our room account at the arcade, Trader Jacks, Smokeys and Cafe Gelato. This seems to be a hassle for employees whenever we did this. The arcade and Gelato supervisor said they have to call and confirm our stay before charging. Trader Jacks and Smokeys have you fill out a receipt which wasn't overly difficult but just more of a hassle than just paying cash or using another credit card.

Again overall our stay was great and we will return again in the future. We would definitely recommend Timber Ridge to friends and family!

Thanks Timber Ridge Employees!

• Stayed March 2014
Tom M, General Manager at Timber Ridge Lodge & Waterpark, responded to this review, 9 April 2014
Rocks-on-vacation~ Thank you for your kind and detailed review. I laughed when I read that one of the negatives was that you had to leave Timber Ridge Lodge. For me, that was music to my ears! I appreciate all of your positive feedback and I will share it with my staff. Please accept my apology for the two issues you brought to my attention. I am sorry if the check in process put a damper on your trip. I totally understand how difficult it can be when young children are excited to get into the water park. In addition, when our guests charge incidentals to their room accounts it is for the protection of our all of our guests that we verify the room number matches the guest name on file. I am sorry that you found it to be a bit of a hassle. I truly appreciate the recommendation of Timber Ridge to your family and friends. I look forward to welcoming you back again soon. Regards, Tom
Nashville, Tennessee
Reviewed 26 March 2014

My Family has been coming to The Timber Ridge Lodge for several Years. The rooms are clean, the staff is very friendly and helpfull and the grounds are safe. My kids love this place . I would recomend this hotel to everyone with a young family.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
Steve S~ The title of your review made me smile immediately. I love to read the feedback of our returning guests especially those who live as far away as you do. I truly appreciate the kind words you shared and am glad to read of your enjoyment of the rooms, staff and our beautiful grounds. Thank you for the recommendation. It is much appreciated. Regards, Tom
Reviewed 19 March 2014 via mobile

Hotel is a little dated. Room itself is big and clean. the hotel itself needs new carpets and a pain job.

The staff are quite young and inexperienced in customer service - couple of bad experiences.

The pool area is great fun. Had breakfast - small selection but was decent quality. Overall the hotel was ok but is not cheap so for that reason I would not be returning.

Stayed March 2014
itsmspadge1~ Thank you for taking the time to comment on your recent visit to Timber Ridge Lodge. Please accept my apology for your impression of the common areas of the hotel and the customer service that you experienced. After our busy spring break period we had the hallway carpets cleaned throughout the resort. I hope you will reconsider and visit Timber Ridge Lodge the next time you are in the area. Regards, Tom