Timber Ridge Lodge & Waterpark
Ranked #3 of 15 Hotels in Lake Geneva
Reviewed 29 April 2014

We stayed at the Timber Ridge Lodge Waterpark on the weekend of April 25-27. We have stayed here before and were very pleased with our experience. This time, however, the hallways were dirty the elevator floors were dirty. Bathrooms in the waterpark area needed to be cleaned and stocked with toliet paper and soap. In our room the dishwasher was leaning out of the counter which I was afraid to use in fear of flooding the room. The refrigrator door was dented numerous times from people banging into it with I am assuming the dishwasher. I feel for the amount of money that you are spending to stay at this resort a little more care should go into making sure the hotel is clean. I would not stay at this resort again.

1  Thank JBWBMB
Tom M, General Manager at Timber Ridge Lodge & Waterpark, responded to this reviewResponded 7 May 2014

JBWBMB~ Thank you for commenting on your recent stay at Timber Ridge Lodge. Please accept my apology for the experience that you had while you were our guest. Your concerns about the condition of your suite as well as the cleanliness of the common areas have been reviewed with my staff. We truly do value each and every comment our guests share about their experience and I wish that we could turn back the clock to ensure that everything during your stay would have exceeded your expectations. I hope that you will reconsider and visit us again in the future. Regards, Tom

Write a ReviewReviews (1,268)

Reviewed 24 April 2014

Our family spent one night at Timber Ridge Lodge on a recent trip from Chicago to Milwaukee. Our kids, aged 6 and 10, really enjoyed the water park and the arcade. It's not the largest water park in the world, but it's a lot of fun and a great deal for families with younger children.
Our stay was quite a bargain. We found a great rate through a coupon online, and our one night stay included water park passes for both the day we arrived and the day we left. Check in isn't officially until 4:00 PM, but when I called they said we'd be able to use the water park before that if we arrived early. We arrived at 1:00 PM, but were able to check in early so it wasn't an issue.
The standard room is here is nice and big (especially compared to our room in downtown Chicago). It's a full suite, with a separate bedroom (with it's own TV), a kitchen, and a living room with a pull out couch for the kids. The kitchen is well stocked and had a stovetop, fridge, microwave, dishwasher, and a full set of dishes and utensils. There are larger rooms available for larger families that include extra water park passes as well.
The water park is the main attraction here and it's a lot of fun. Older kids (teens) might get bored but younger kids will have a blast. There are two large slides, one green and one yellow. The yellow slide is limited to those 48" and above and is fast and dark (the slide is enclosed for it's entire length). The green slide is for tubes; those under 48" can ride with an adult in a double tube. It's a bit slower but still fun; it's enclosed but is somewhat translucent so it's not dark.
Both slides empty into a lazy river. It's not the largest river but it's a nice place to relax.
The main pool is divided into three sections. There's basketball hoops set up on one end. In the middle is the landing area for a small children's water slide. The other end is setup with a rope net and pontoon and the challenge is to cross from one side to the other.
There's also a smaller splash pool area for toddlers with it's one smaller slides and sprays.
Our favorite attraction was the hot tub in the back. There's a pass through that lets you go outside and yes, it's even open in the winter. On the day we went it was snowing. There's nothing quite like sitting in a hot tub in the snow. This hot tub is limited to those 6 and up (per Wisconsin State Law). There's also another (indoor only) hot tub that's limited to those 18 and older. In the summer months there are two additional outdoor pools, one looked like it was for older kids and one for toddlers.
It's definitely not the largest water park in the world; it's not even the largest indoor water park. But it's comfortable and because it's generally limited to hotel guests it doesn't get that crowded. There was never more than a minute or two wait for the water slides and the pools weren't overly packed. There were lots of chairs and tables set up if you felt like sitting.
In addition to the water park there's also a nice arcade that's setup with prize games (think Chuck E Cheeses). The tokens and tickets are all electronic, and you get a $1 card to get things started. It was actually a bit larger arcade than I expected, with maybe about 50 machines or so and a nice prize counter as well. Most of the games seemed to be in good condition.
Staff seemed friendly and polite and check-in was smooth and relatively fast.
Notes/Hints/Trivia:
Check out the 7ft tall Lego moose in the lobby. Check online to see the hours for the water park, although it's generally 9a-9p. Pick rooms away from the pool and on higher floors if you want a bit more peace and quiet; our room was on the first floor away from the pool and we didn't hear much of anything. The Lodge is part of the larger Grand Geneva resort complex which has additional attractions if you're staying longer (golf, horses, etc); Lake Geneva even has it's own airport. The Grand Geneva started out as a Playboy club way back in the day but Timber Ridge Lodge is now as family friendly as they come. Water Park passes are in the form of wristbands that you need to wear all day.

Room Tip: None of the rooms have much of a view, so both pool view and countryside are a bit misleading. (Pool...
6  Thank jtl10

jtl10~ Thank you so much for your extensive and detailed review. I felt as though I were reading an article out of a travel magazine! I appreciate the time and effort you took in sharing your experience and especially the Notes/Hints/Trivia section. I hope that you will come back and visit again in the future. Regards, Tom

Reviewed 11 April 2014

This TripAdvisor review marks our first since joining the blessed and cursed world of parenthood! Starting a family later in life, we have enjoyed the opportunity to travel without children and decided to test the waters of family friendly options by dipping our feet in at Timber Ridge. Too many puns?
We stayed on a recent Spring Break weekend with our little mermaid. We have visited the Lake Geneva area several times in the past but we have always preferred the adult oriented establishments. Geneva ChopHouse is one of our favorites and for a kid-friendly option on the property, Timber Ridge did alright. The water park was small but perfect for our tiny one. We enjoyed the baby/tot pool, the lazy river and one of us may have even had a little too much fun on the super water slides. Food from Smokeys was surprisingly great for the price and made us wonder why we've been paying four times more at the main lodge. For a hotel highly trafficked by kids the suite was in good shape. A few dings here and there but that's to be expected. It was spacious and clean, although somewhat dated. The fireplace was a nice touch, as was the large tub. Unfortunately, the sleeping accommodations were severely lacking. People with children deserve a good night's rest without the automatic assumption that since it may not happen for the next good number of years, a hotel doesn't need to assist. Pillows were thin, mattress was dipping and sheets were worse than the 2 star property we were coming from. Get on that Grand Geneva!
WiFi could have been faster and we were also slightly put off by the day pass option as one of the reasons we chose Timber Ridge is because it was advertised as the only area water park NOT open to the public. Call us snobs but we don't want to frolic in the water with just anyone.

Would we stay again? Yes. However, when our babe is just a bit older we will likely head back to the main lodge and visit the water park for the day. Four stars for Timber Ridge, five stars for parenthood.

2  Thank tnr_traveler

tnr_traveler ~ I appreciate your detailed review and will admit I was quite intrigued when I read the title of it. I was delighted that your “Little Mermaid” enjoyed her first trip to Timber Ridge Lodge. To clarify, we do not sell day passes for the waterpark to the general public. You must be a guest of the hotel in order to use it; however, we do occasionally have groups in the waterpark that book through our group sales department for birthday parties, special events, etc. I have shared your comments regarding the mattress, linens and pillows with our housekeeping department. I am happy that you gave parenthood a five star rating! I look forward to welcoming you back again in the future. Regards, Tom

Reviewed 11 April 2014

We stayed with a two additional family during Spring Break and having stayed for the first time, we truly enjoyed our stay. The front desk staff was awesome! Phone reception was not the best though, didn't get the message from front desk about the rooms being ready until I had to follow up. Would not recommend staying on the first floor since you could hear the running around from above all the time :-( Some of the china had chips on them, but we were still able to use the others, so it was great! Was a bit disappointed in regards to the "petting zoo". Didn't take advantage of some of the activities at the main hotel this time around since the kiddies wanted to play at the water park--maybe next time. Would definitely recommend!!!! Great property overall!!!

Room Tip: Do not stay on the first floor since you could hear the noise from above especially with kids runnin...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family

MomofJonSam07~ Thank you for your review. I am happy to hear that you enjoyed your Spring Break getaway at Timber Ridge Lodge. I am sorry to hear of the noise that you experienced from other guests. We do ask our guests to respect the quiet hour time of 11:00 PM – 7:00 AM. I am glad you enjoyed the waterpark. I hope you will visit us again soon so that you can experience additional activities that we offer on property. Regards, Tom

Reviewed 9 April 2014

I have been coming to this hotel for the past 7yrs, we always have a wonderful time, but i do wish they would get NEW pillows or offer feather pillow cause they are a bit too hard, also note to self not to saty on 1st floor next time you hear everything above you and the kids running in the suite above us woke us very early in the morning both days we did not like that this time around. Otherwise service and staff is always wonderful!!

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
Tom M, General Manager at Timber Ridge Lodge & Waterpark, responded to this reviewResponded 10 April 2014

Aehlert98~ Thank you for your seven years of loyalty to Timber Ridge Lodge. I will share your positive comments regarding our staff and service with my team. I appreciate you taking the time to recognize them. I look forward to welcoming you back for your 8th year at Timber Ridge Lodge. Regards, Tom

Reviewed 8 April 2014

We picked Timber Ridge to celebrate our grand daughters 5th birthday March 27-29 and it was the perfect choice. Along with our 3 yr old grandson the two had an awesome time in the water park.
Their area was well supervised and the water temperature was good even for grandma!
Food prices in the pool area were reasonable. I didnt feel gouged.
The staff was very gracious and accomodating.
Our 2 bedroom suite served us well. It was clean and the kitchen was equipped with the essentials. We called for an extra blanket one evening and it was there in a flash.
This was our first visit to Timber Ridge and we will be back.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family

Maureen W ~ Happy 5th Birthday to your granddaughter! I am so happy that you were able to spend it here at Timber Ridge. It is always such a pleasure to celebrate special occasions with our guests. I am thrilled that everything was to your liking and you felt it was a “perfect choice.” I am glad you will be back! Regards, Tom

Reviewed 7 April 2014

Stayed 3 nights durning spring break. The room was very clean. The bed was a little hard and the pillows too flat. The waterpark was clean and the water temp was perfect. I would definately recommend.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family

mom2nik~ Thank you for taking the time to post a review of your recent trip. I apologize that the beds and pillows were not comfortable for you. I truly appreciate your positive feedback regarding the rooms and waterpark. Thank you for the recommendation! I hope to welcome you back again soon. Regards, Tom