“Excursion with our granddaughter”

Timber Ridge Lodge & Waterpark
Ranked #4 of 15 Hotels in Lake Geneva
Reviewed 30 July 2014

This was our first away-vacation with our 9 yr. old granddaughter. A newly minted deep-water swimmer, she was thrilled to have so much to do in the water. The well-guarded Lazy River and slides that snake down from the indoor facility's high ceilings provided plenty of fun for all of us during our 2 full days at Timber Ridge last week. The outdoor pools were appropriate for various ages, but one pool did need to be evacuated and "purified" at least once each day during our stay because of recurring toddler accidents.

We also enjoyed the horseback riding at the on-site Dan Patch Stables. The horses were gentle and sure-footed on our 45 minute walk through a woodland trail, and the staff there was great at matching the horse to the rider's abilities.

If I could have rated the water park and lodge separately, I would have given lower marks to the accommodations.We took a 2-bedroom suite for the 3 of us, and our granddaughter stayed in the upstairs loft bedroom. I thoroughly agree with another reviewer, who pointed out that despite a ceiling fan in the upstairs bedroom, it is virtually impossible to cool the upstairs enough to sleeping temperature with the thermostat on the lower level.The living area became extremely cold, while the upstairs just barely cooled down. Fortunately, the master bedroom on the main floor has it's own control. If that thermostat could control the entire main floor, and the upstairs had its own system, the temperatures might have been more evenly distributed. The dining area, although having 6 chairs, is extremely narrow, and I doubt that 6 active people would find these units roomy enough.

The on site restaurant offerings are limited. Because we are vegetarians, we brought a lot of breakfast and lunch food with us to stock the very functional kitchen. We brought dinners in both nights, once from the in-house grill, and the second time from the Grand Geneva resort nearby. Grand Geneva, although an affiliated property, does not deliver, so it was necessary to pick up the meal once ordered, from their restaurant, which is about a half mile down the road. We didn't mind this, but did mind having to go back again to retrieve 3 missing items from our order. Both meals, once gathered, were pretty good.

Finally, our accommodations needed updating and repairs. We had maintenance in to replace our dvd player and to fix 2 electrical outlets. While everyone was very nice, we did not appreciate being called before 9 the first morning of our stay to check on whether that would be a good time to fix the outlets. It is also time for new bedding. While everything was clean, the pillows were "unforgiving." Also had to call housekeeping for more dishwashing liquid and some coffee filters, items which should have been checked and replaced before we arrived.

But, all in all we enjoyed ourselves--none of the above criticisms were enough to spoil the joy of our first away-trip with our granddaughter.

Room Tip: Rooms facing away from the pool are quieter.
1  Thank Lee499
Kevin K, General Manager at Timber Ridge Lodge & Waterpark, responded to this reviewResponded 11 August 2014

Lee499~ Thank you for your detailed review. I am happy that you were able to getaway for some quality time with your 9 year old granddaughter. In the busy world we live in, sometimes it is hard to take the time to spend with our families. Our apology for the “toddler accidents” that existed; we do our very best when these incidents occur to get everything back up and running as safely and quickly as we can. I am sorry that the loft was too warm. We do provide fans complimentary to our guests to assist with the air circulation in our two bedroom units during the summer months. Please accept my deepest apology for the early morning follow up call from our engineering department. I will review this procedure with my team. Your feedback is very valuable to me and I appreciate your comments both positive and negative. Thank you again for choosing Timber Ridge Lodge and I hope you will consider us again in the future. ~ Kevin

Reviewed 30 July 2014

We met here for a family reunion, 27 people, ages 2-92. Everyone had a wonderful weekend. The water park area was the main gathering place. Very clean, easy to see the kids, food and drinks available. The pools and water park were extremely well life guarded and controlled for safety. Our rooms had everything we needed and were clean and up to date. The staff was wonderful to work with, friendly and informative. Such a good time, we plan to return soon.

1  Thank FamNFriends

FamNFriends~ I was delighted to read that your family of 27 chose Timber Ridge Lodge for their annual family reunion. I am happy that everything met and hopefully exceeded your expectations. We certainly have enough to do on property for everyone ages 2 – 92 to enjoy. I am glad that you will return soon and I look forward to welcoming you back. ~ Kevin

Reviewed 29 July 2014

We rented the 2 BR suite with kitchen. If you don't hang out in the room too much it is great. The rooms are very narrow and hard to move around in. The deck is worthless. Staff was very nice. Hotel really needs updating. Families and kids are hard on these places and it shows. The lifeguards were awesome! Very attentive and you felt very safe. The waterpark was great for kids under 8 or 9. After 3 days of swimming, the kids were a little bored. But all in all they loved it.

Room Tip: Get the suite and top floor(4th). Get the pool view. Nature view is the parking lot.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank SLK52302

SLK52302~I would like to thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay at Timber Ridge Lodge and Waterpark. I would like to apologize that the layout of the suite and deck was disappointing to you. However, I am delighted to hear that you had a pleasant experience in the waterpark. I hope that you will come back and visit again in the future. ~ Kevin

Reviewed 24 July 2014 via mobile

I even forgot a few items (chargers) and they mailed them back. The lifeguards were constantly watching carefully and when they were not on pool call they were cleaning/disinfecting things which I think was great. Great 4th of July experience. Fireworks at the Grand were fantastic! Jacuzzi was not working but was repaired right away (fuse issue).

Stayed: July 2014
1  Thank dominik712

dominik712~ Thank you for your kind review. I am happy that your items were found and returned to you. The safety of our guests is our top priority and our lifeguards do an outstanding job to make that happen. Thank you for noticing and recognizing them. I will share your comments with my team. I agree that our 4th of July festivities were fantastic! I am sorry your Jacuzzi tub wasn’t working but I am very happy we were able to repair it for you to use during your stay. I hope to welcome you back again soon! ~ Kevin

Reviewed 23 July 2014

I took a group of 7 Girl Scout Cadettes (7th and 8th graders) to the Timber Ridge Lodge this past weekend. We had a great time going to the water park, enjoying cooking in our rooms, and enjoying the large two-room suites. We also used the Dan Patch Stables for a guided horse ride as well as the trolley to see other parts of the resort. The Gelato at Cafe Gelato was outstanding as were the views out the lobby window at the Grand Geneva (which is also part of the property). You get to use any of the Grand Geneva facilities during your stay.

I would recommend this for families as well as Scout overnights.

Room Tip: The two room suites are great for a larger group. There is a loft upstairs with its own bathroom, q...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends

Jeannine S ~ Thank you for taking the time to post your review. I am so happy to read that your Girl Scout Cadets had a great time. We are always thrilled to host Scouting Groups here at Timber Ridge Lodge. I appreciate the recommendation to others. I hope that you will be able to come and visit again in the future. ~ Kevin

Reviewed 23 July 2014

We chose this park over the Dells because of the proximity to Chicago. I expected a bigger waterpark, but the grandkids from California said they had a good time. We had the 2 bedroom unit for our party of 5, so there was enough room for everyone, but the unit needed a good cleaning. Upholstery was stained, noted spaghetti stuck on wall, brown carpet had stains & needed cleaning. AC was difficult to control. Some lifeguards weren't watching their assigned areas as they paced around & around in circles like caged animals. When the wind was right, you can smell the stables. On checkin, 3 people at desk & I'm the only one standing there. No acknowledgement...finally had to speak up. The town has a lot of dining options if you tire of the limited on site restaurants.

2  Thank Lucy-Familskokie

Lucy-Familskokie~ Thank you for taking the time to share your review. We always like to encourage our guests to share their experiences here, both positive and negative, as it is the best way to enhance Timber Ridge Lodge. I can assure you that the less than satisfactory experience you have described is not the norm here, but rather an unfortunate exception. It is certainly our top priority to exceed all of our guests’ expectations, and it is with much regret to hear that we missed the mark during your most recent stay with us. I have spoken to my management team to correct these issues. I hope that you will come back and stay again in the future. ~ Kevin

Reviewed 21 July 2014

My Wife and Two Children stayed at the Timber Ridge on a Sunday for our anniversary and our 3 year old and 6 month old were able to use the facilities and enjoy themselves. the arcade was very kid and adult friendly, I love the e-points and not having to collect physical tickets anymore. The food is very good in all the restaurants and we really enjoyed our one night half day stay there, so much to do at resort and in Lake Geneva right down the street!

Room Tip: Book on sunday's when rates drastically reduced...you can get $350 room for $109 and that is a s...
1  Thank MrOysterhead_Chris

MrOysterhead_Chris ~ Happy Anniversary! I am happy that you were able to spend your special occasion here at Timber Ridge with us. It certainly sounds like you had a great time. I look forward to welcoming you back again soon. ~ Kevin