“Not up to par with the best in the Dells IMHO”

Timber Ridge Lodge & Waterpark
Ranked #2 of 15 Hotels in Lake Geneva
Indianapolis, IN
“Not up to par with the best in the Dells IMHO”
Reviewed 21 January 2010

This is the fourth waterpark resort we have stayed at, having been at Great Wolf, Wilderness, and Kalahari in the past. GW was best for young kids, Kalahari had the best rides, and Wilderness was the best all around. I was going to go back to the Wilderness again when I discovered TRL on the web and decided to give it a shot. We were able to stay for $159 a night with “Hot Rates” (note extra $13 a day “resort fee”) for a 2 bedroom condo. The room was nice, with a decent kitchen. Condition a little beat up in places, with one piece of molding broken (and a hazard). Carpet and furniture in decent condition. Walls in rooms and hotel a bit beat up in places but overall acceptable. NOTE: Room insulation was pitiful. If the hotel was busier the noise would have been a real problem. The waterpark was a disappointment as it is very small. Part of the reason I picked this one was the indication that it was “very warm”. I did not think so and I’m usually the last in my family to get cold. Air temp ok, water temp a few degrees too cold. Lifeguards were very young and seemed more interested in each other than safety. NOTE: Resort allowed school kids in (12 to 14 yrs) and they took over the place. Very irritating with a 2 and 5 year old. No lifeguard older than about 19 noted. Front desk and other staff generally friendly (more so than the Dells which is famous for grumpy staff). The arcade was ok, but don’t play the claw games as they are set very tight. (Had animals in the claw twice only to lose them). The Grand Geneva fitness club was nice with an excellent locker room and decent weights and cardio equipment. There was a sled hill that was closed (shack) so we got to use it for free. Smokey's BBQ was pricey and mediocre at best. Overall, it was a nice stay but not enough to have me come back. It is so close to Chicago that I’m sure they do well, but for me I’ll make the extra drive of a few hours to WD next time.

Solo
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (271)
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 19 January 2010

We loved it here! I guess the noise level depends on when and where you stay. We stayed 4 days, 3 nights, mid-week and we did hear some yelling and running but it was our fault for not asking to be moved from the room we were given, which was right outside the elevator/stairs. The entire hotel was very clean. Our room couldn't have been better. From the large jacuzzi tub, to the private bedroom, to the newly installed flat screen tv above the gas fireplace, to the (almost) full kitchen including all cooking/eating utensils, all you need are bathing suits, earplugs (or not, if you close the bedroom door) and groceries. We saved so much money by cooking in the room and if you need anything, a 24 hour Walmart is a few blocks up the road. The two main waterpark slides are fast and amazing. They were exciting enough for the adults, yet not too scary for my 3 1/2 year old. The walk up to the top is 6 flights of stairs, but well worth it! The kiddie/toddler area has three slides, zero depth entry and water spouts. Even after riding the "grown up slides", my 3 1/2 year old was content in this area for hours. My 18 month old was able to walk the stairs alone to the top of the slide. I was even able to go down the kiddie slides with her on my lap. I would also like to mention that they do have free life jackets for use, which really came in handy since neither of my children are proficient swimmers yet. My husband and I most enjoyed the indoor hot tub and then being able to duck under the gate to enjoy the connected OUTDOOR hot tub. There's nothing like relaxing in hot water while breathing in cold air! Every area of the hotel (except...see below) was kept at a very warm and comfortable temperature, which is so very important when you are soaking wet! My ONLY complaint is that the locker rooms are located outside of the actual waterpark and it gets pretty chilly when you open those doors and have to run across the hall. It is only about 20-30 feet, but still chilly. They do provide small, scratchy towels but it's better to bring your own large towel and/or cover-up to stay warm! The arcade is a pretty decent size with lots of newer games, but most are about 4-6 quarters to play, which quickly gets expensive. We never ate at the restaurants, so I can't comment on that. Every staff member we encountered was very friendly and always sincere. We had a great rate and a great stay! We are already planning our next trip...

1 Thank PARISISCALLING
Illinois
Reviewed 16 January 2010

From the time we started making our reservations until the time of checkout our stay could not have been better. The entire staff wherever we went on the property, were always very friendly and very helpful. We had five rooms for 22 members of our family. This is our fifth year returning to Timber Ridge Lodge. Since the ages of our ten grandchildren range in age from 8 to 20 we look for something for everyone to do along with the adults since this is our Christmas gift to our family. We head to the water park after having dinner in our room on Friday. Saturday we head to the ski slopes with some of the family while others went sledding or ice skating. We then meet at the spa building at 5:00p.m. where our children and spouses go for massages. Grandpa and Grandma take the grandchildren to the climbing wall and the gym. Then it's back to our rooms for dinner and then back to the water park or skiing for the evening. Sunday we get up and head home very sadly, always with yet more great memories made at the Timber Ridge Lodge. We would highly recommend this for all age groups.

1 Thank proudgrandma10
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Reviewed 14 January 2010

The room was spacious with full kitchen, dining room, separate bedroom, and R & R area with fireplace. The balcony overlooked the parking lot but was useless in 20 degree weather - charming none the less. Aside from the numerous holiday parties disturbing my sleep, it was perfect. I suggest earplugs for sleeping, and spend all your time at the water park. Avoid the BBQ chicken at the restaurant. It has no BBQ flavor so you might as well bring your own sauce.

• Stayed December 2009
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 11 January 2010

This water park resort may be fine if you're going with groups of people and you don't want to spend a lot of money, but when you go as one family with young kids, you can be in for a whole lot of pain. We stayed with our young kids and it was absolutely awful! We were set between 3 groups of room blocks and there were teens and adults keeping their doors open, partying in the halls and from what we heard directly above us, there were people running and banging half the night. Not only was the noise extreme and relentless, the hotel staff was unable to control it. The hotel was pretty bad in terms of cleanliness as well. Hair around the sink area and bath, very uncomfortable beds with questionable bedding and unkempt common area (The elevator had dried, nasty food smeared across the numbers and it was there from the time we checked in until we checked out!) It may be well worth staying and the Grand Geneva and just paying for the water park separately. I was assured from the reservation agent that Timber Ridge Lodge kept Grand Geneva standards. Don't believe it! It was just like any Super 8 or Econo Lodge that you may find next to a highway...unpredictable and dodgy!

There are a few upsides: Kids had fun at the water park, front and restaurant staff were fairly nice and the kids liked the food (of course, it was all kid friendly-pretty hard to mess up chicken fingers and hot dogs) . Honestly, we would have left early if it were not for the kids wanting to go swimming and sledding one more time.

• Stayed January 2010, travelled with family
BruceJohnson, General Manager at Timber Ridge Lodge & Waterpark, responded to this review, 18 January 2010
Dear ajkchicago,

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your thoughts of your experience at Timber Ridge Lodge. I am sorry to see that your stay was not what you had hoped it would be. We want all of our guests to have great experiences and we work very hard to make that happen. If it is possible, and you don't mind, I'd really like to speak with you to learn more about your stay. Please call 262-248-8811 and ask for me. We strive to provide an outstanding experience and deeply regret we did not meet or exceed your expectations. Thank very much for your honesty and candor.

Bruce Johnson,
Timber Ridge Lodge at Grand Geneva
Chicago
Reviewed 1 January 2010

Winter Break for kids means FUN FUN FUN and where should a family with young children can find fun without the headache of flying but can do it within short driving distance ? My answer is Timber Ridge Lodge, Lake Geneva in the Mid West !! When Key Lime Cove open in 2008 we thought we should try it out and so we can compare with Timber Ridge Lodge later. It turn out with a big disappointment !! Room very small, dirty, no family suite, no kitchen , tiny bathroom and service is below standard. Also too far from the Vilmot skiing location compare to 5 mins drive to Grand Geneva from Timber Ridge Lodge. Of course we went back to Timber Ridge Lodge on our 2009 Winter Break vacation and can't be happier to be back to our familiar resort with the familiar suite and friendly stuffs. During our our stay, we had problem with one of the toilet and in less than 5 mins , the housekeeper came to fixed it. Can't beat that ! Our room is always clean. Did I mention the kitchen ?? Just bring your food and store in a big refrigerator and everything you need from cooking pots/pans to plate, glasses/cups are all all provided. When you travel with kids every bits of little things are matter to make your vacation an unforgettable one , either a GOOD or BAD experience. And I want to say Timber Ridge Lodge never fail us but only get better and better year after year. This is our fourth year at Timber Ridge Lodge, my family wanna say Thank You for making our vacation such a happy and great one. We are planning to bring more friends and family to join us next year.

• Stayed December 2009, travelled with family
McHenry, Illinois
Reviewed 1 January 2010

We had a great time at our stay at Timber Ridge Lodge. We had family in from out of town and were excited to spend a couple days in Lake Geneva. The waterpark was great, the accomodations were more than one can expect from staying in a hotel and the service was delivered with a smile from everyone, especially the lifeguards. We contemplated extending our stay there but it just didn't work with how much time we had. We will definitely be going back again. The term "suite" is used to describe many hotel rooms at many hotels, but this hotels determination of "suite" was everything you could hope for in a room. Sometimes I am disappointed with the amenities of hotels after getting excited about the way they are described in the website. This is not the case with this hotel.

• Stayed December 2009, travelled with family