“Clean and the staff is nice, but don't plan on sleeping well.” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Mill Creek Hotel

Mill Creek Hotel
Ranked #7 of 15 Hotels in Lake Geneva
Chicago, Illinois
“Clean and the staff is nice, but don't plan on sleeping well.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 April 2011

The room had a nice kitchen and huge whirl pool. The shower was not bad, and lots of closet space if you plan on staying for a long time. The view was nice if you spend alot of time on the balcony. The kitchen had everything you needed! This was nice because we were able to bring home leftovers when we went out to eat. The bathroom was a nice size, room for all your stuff and my husband and I were able to get ready at the same time. The shower head was not the best, but not worst I've ever had. Ladys bring your own hair dryer. The one they had left me sitting for an hour drying my hair. That was annoying. The bedroom....well the bed was not a queen its a super single. This was the worst part. My hubby and I like to watch tv and cuddle before falling asleep. The tv was positioned next to the bed so you had to lay on your side and look up to see it. The bedding was nice the size of the bed kinda made it impossible to sleep. The next night we tried to sleep on the pull out couch..easier to watch tv and they do have a fire place. The mattress on the pullout bed was the worst! You could actually see the metal poking out. We lasted about 10 minutes. The couch itself was just as uncomfortable. The balcony was nice and didn't lack space. Nice for drinking coffee in the morning. The hotel pool...well its the smallest i've ever seen. However, we did stay during the week and there was never anyone in there, but don't plan on doing any actual swimming. The hot tub was large enough though and there was a nice view of the out doors. The workout room was nice and had alot of equipment. They did have a dvd player. You can rent movies but they $5 each and they were older than the stuff they play on hbo. The staff was super nice and the parking situation was great. The location was the best part. We were able to walk to all the restaurants, shops, spas and local pubs no problem. Do not expect luxery aside from the whirl pool in the bathroom because its not that kind of place. I would stay here again if I was by myself. The sleeping situation with more than one person was next to impossible. The problem with that is the bedroom is so small they couldn't fit a larger be if they wanted to.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Jensorgs

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (93)
Kenosha, Wisconsin
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 April 2011

I'll admit it. I'm one of those people that reads reviews, but never takes the time to write one of my own. Today I feel the need to share my experience with the traveling world. From the start we were hesitant to stay at the Mill Creek Hotel. Recent reviews range from rants to raves. We decided to check out the Hotel's website and thought it looked very nice for the price. We should have listened to the ranters.

Although we did not encounter any noise issues, the reviews about the poor bed quality are spot-on. I'm not sure if the mattress was just cheap or if is old, but it was the worst thing I've slep on. I think it's comparable to the old fold-out bed my grandparents had (you know the kind with the big bar in the middle!). Also, the bed is squeezed into a very small room so I felt very clausterphobic (not the feeling you're going for when you want a good night's sleep).

As for the staff, we didn't have any issues with rudness, but for a lack of better words they are a bit odd. The women at the front desk seemed like they were in their own world and rushed my boyfriend through check-in. As soon as he was handed a key, she turned away and instantly struck-up a conversation with the other woman. Again, very, very strange.

My advice - pass. We got the impression that this was once a great hotel that has not aged well. Everything seems a little dated and worn. Originally we were going to stay another night, but decided to check-in to a different hotel that wasn't as close to the lake. Believe me, the location is NOT worth it. The other hotel felt much more updated, the bed was wonderful and the staff members were nice and welcoming.

We hope our review helps!

Room Tip: Check in to a different hotel!
  • Stayed March 2011, travelled as a couple
6 Thank KenoshaDebbie
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 April 2011

We've stayed at another resort in Lake Geneva a few times, but this was the first time we stayed in the downtown area. The Mill Creek Hotel was so convenient to everything-we walked everywhere! The suite was spacious (great with teenagers).
The workout room and pool were small but provided everything we needed (the TV's were a nice touch).
I am so happy we found this "gem" of a hotel right in town. We will definitely stay here everytime we visit Lake Geneva.

Room Tip: Talk to the front dest staff.
  • Stayed March 2011, travelled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank passionforfashion_11
Lincolnshire, Illinois
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 March 2011

We weren't sure about staying here after reading the views. Some were good and some were bad. It seemed like the quality of your stay was dependent on what room you got and who was working that day. Unfortunately for our stay both were bad. The noise level in our room was okay but our biggest room complaint was with the bed. We told the front desk about it and we asked to be moved to another room but they said the hotel was booked despite it being mid week. I was disappointed by their reaction b/c they seemed like we were inconveniencing them with our complaint, and acted like we were the only ones who ever complained. I’ve actually had friendlier, nicer staff staying at the Holiday Inn.

I’d only recommend this place if you have no desire to interact with the staff and if you are always complacent with your hotel room no matter how good or bad it is. This place does not seem to want to do anything to make your stay better. It was almost like they were the guests and we were the staff. We did not leave this place with a “warm and fuzzy” feeling in our stomachs but we did leave with a lighter wallet, which was a bummer considering our experience.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank iheartgambling
Joliet, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 March 2011

Just finished reading a horrible review for this hotel... do NOT believe one word!!! Mill Creek is the best hotel I have ever stayed in mostly due to the friendliness of the staff- especially Juan!! The rooms are clean and spacious. The housekeeping staff are also wonderful- always willing to get you anything you could possibly need or want. Mill Creek is to hotels as Cheers is to bars... the place to go where everybody knows your name and always treated as family. We will never stay at a different hotel in the Lake Geneva area. Can't wait to come back!!!

• Stayed February 2011, travelled with friends
4 Thank lakegenevagirl5
illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 March 2011

Great place, clean and location is excellent! I stayed there in November 2010 & again in December 2010. Looking forward to going back again soon.

• Stayed December 2010
2 Thank gotpeel
Bloomington, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 February 2011

For years my children and I have taken trips to Lake Geneva. We have stayed at many properties over the years. We all love the Mill Creek. It has something for all of us. Being an adult, I like the quiteness of the property, the two person bath tub, fireplace and the wooded view. I also love that we are in the heart of Downtown close to shopping and restaurants. My children 9 and 13 love the pool. We NEVER seem to have to share it with anyone. (I don't mind the hot tub either) The kitchen area has everything that we could need which is especially important to kids who seem to be eating all of the time. We bring snacks and drinks. It is like a home away from home. There is plenty of room for us all to sleep as the couch pulls out in to a bed. In addition, when we can't agree on a movie we have two tv's and can each watch our own shows. We are all in agreement. We won't be looking any further. Mill Creek will always get our business when we visit Lake Geneva!

• Stayed February 2011, travelled with family