“What Happened to the Mill Creek Hotel We Used to Know?”
Review of Mill Creek Hotel

Mill Creek Hotel
Ranked #5 of 15 Hotels in Lake Geneva
Chicago, Illinois
“What Happened to the Mill Creek Hotel We Used to Know?”
Reviewed 21 February 2011

I’m sorry to report our stay at Mill Creek was a colossal disappointment. Despite making reservations months before, we were placed in room 101. It’s next to the front desk & is in the center of all hotel traffic. I asked if we could have another room & Daneen/Tabitha explained that the hotel was booked up for the weekend & even if they switched our room on Fri night, we would have to go back to 101 on Sat. I was then handed our room keys & dismissed by the 2 ladies. We entered our room & I could already hear noise outside our door. We decided that we would put up with changing rooms if it meant 1 night of quiet! However, apparently this offer expires after 3 minutes. When my boyfriend went back to he was told the hotel was at capacity & again dismissed by the blonde front-desk duo.
So what was the room like, you ask? Fireplace, Jacuzzi tub…it had to be great right? Well, sort of. The tub was spacious (big enough for 2) but was run-down. The fireplace was a treat but we couldn’t adjust the flame so we had to turn on the air conditioning (& when that didn’t work we opened a window). Trying our best to ignore the noise outside, we enjoyed some wine & called it a night. And so began our encounter with the mattress from hell. This was by far the most uncomfortable mattress I’ve ever slept on . The best way I can explain how awful the mattress was is to compare it to a gigantic slice of dry, lumpy meatloaf filled with tortuous springs. Needless to say, we didn’t sleep. On the second night we took all the blankets we could find (along with the comforter) & created our version of a mattress pad. Again, sleep eluded us.
On the morning of checkout I came across a “Guest Book.” I was shocked to find note after note about how awful the mattress was. The first comment went back to 5/2010! At this point we were done. My boyfriend went to the front desk to explain the situation, bringing the book with him. This is when our stay went from disappointing to a nightmare. My boyfriend spoke to “Juan” who was rude, belittling & aggressive. While my boyfriend was explaining how bad the bed was he was flipping through the Guest Book to try to show we weren’t just being picky. Juan waved his hand at my boyfriend & shouted, “Yeah, we get it man. The beds are bad. What do you want from us?” Shocked, my boyfriend responded that he wanted someone to care & asked what the name & # of the general manger were. Juan then proceeded to laugh at my boyfriend & said “um, it’s the same # as the hotel, man.” Furious, my boyfriend stormed back into our room.
At this point I’m LIVID. I grab a note pad that we’d been using to take down some staff names & approached the front counter. I asked who the man was standing behind the counter & he replied “it’s on your notepad” in an utterly rude & arrogant tone. I had 5 or 6 names on the pad & asked how I was supposed to know who he was. Again, he responds “well, it’s on your pad.” I come to the realization that I’m dealing with someone who has the customer service training & common sense of a barbarian. I point to the book that I had brought out from my room & explain that we’re not the only ones with this problem. Juan grabs the book from my hands & shouts “that’s hotel property!” I try to again explain why I have the book & with each word I speak he cuts me off & says “hotel property.” All of a sudden I’m in some kindergarten shouting match. Enough is enough & I ask Juan, “Why are you speaking to me like a child?” Go ahead, guess how he responded. Go on, guess. Bingo-“Hotel property!” So at this point I’m done with Juan & ask for the general manager that is in some kind of all day meeting. Enraged, I explain that if Ralph (general manager) isn’t contacted I will go room to room until I find him. Juan disappears & minutes later an older gentleman appears & introduces himself as Ralph. In a matter-of-fact tone he asks me to recount what happened & documents a formal complaint. Honestly, it seemed like he really didn’t know what to do. He jotted down notes, mumbled something about perhaps refunding a night’s stay, but not having to do the authority to do so. I have yet to hear back from Ralph. All I’m left with is a killer backache & the worst hotel experience of my life.
The Mill Creek describes their facility as an upscale boutique hotel. Unless they make some MAJOR changes to the staff & rooms, customers are in for one disappointment after another. I wrote this review so no one else has to have our terrible experience. And for the staff….
Daneen&Tabitha–Start caring about your job. Take a few minutes out of your personal conversations to greet guests. It is unacceptable that we weren’t greeted once during our stay. Shame on you both.
Juan–You have no business having any client/customer contact. Your behavior is beyond inappropriate. Never, ever should you be aggressive with a customer. I suggest formal training (perhaps starting in a Kindergarten classroom).
Ralph– I’m still waiting for your call.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled as a couple
12 Thank bonoholic77

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (113)
Clarendon Hills, Illinois
Reviewed 8 February 2011

My boyfriend and I have been to Lake Geneva three times since the beginning of December. Our first trip was with another hotel and we were not at all happy with it. We tried Mill Creek on the second trip and it is now our hotel of choice from here on out. And just planned another trip for March. The rooms are clean and everything works in the room. The staff is phenomenal!!! And you are a half block off of the main street - so convenient. You will not be disappointed at all. And the best part is the price is reasonable.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank kwolz1127
Midwest US
Reviewed 21 January 2011

Snuck up to Lake Geneva for a 2 nights in mid January. After reviewing a lot of options chose the Mill Creek Hotel with some hesitation. It is easy to see that it is nicely located for reaching all of the main drag of Lake Geneva by foot. What isn't easy to see is the quality of the residence.
I will say I was pleasantly surprised. You park off the road behind the hotel at I guess the basement level. Check in is an elevator ride up one floor (you could take the stairs but you would have to circle outside and then back in for some reason). There wasn't much of a lobby area, just really a desk and office but check in took about 2 seconds since our information was all entered.
Our room was on the second floor, a gold suite I believe. The halls are kind of small so you kind of feel like you are in an apartment building. The suite itself is very nice. There is ample kitchen space and a nice dining area. There are a couple of sitting chairs in between the living area and dining area. The living area is really the fireplace, wall mounted tv and couch and it has a door to the bedroom and balcony, both of which are nice sized. The balcony over looked the creek and was a nice view which I'm sure improves with the weather.
This isn't a posh resort room, but it is much larger than a hotel room and probably the quality of the popular travel hotels. Because of the size and quality, I think it is a great value.
The service at the desk was great, helping with a couple suggestions and a listing of movies (2 tickets, large popcorn, large drink - 21 bucks!!). Housekeeping was efficient and seemed to do a good job. The only disappointment for me was the jacuzzi tub. It was a nice size and the jets were fine, I just found the vibration from the motor(s) to be too loud and distracting. My wife had no issues with it though.
We didn't check out the pool or fitness area, so I cannot comment on either.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Edisons_Medicine
MENOMONEE FALLS
Reviewed 3 December 2010

My husband and I are regulars in Lake Geneva, but rarely spend the night. This being our 40th wedding anniversary, my husband wanted to make it special, so he requested the best room with the romance add-ons The hotel is about a block off the main street making it convenient for walking to the lake, restaurnts or shopping. While the hotel is attractive on the outside, I was a bit surprised with the lackluster registration desk--small and tucked into a stairwell corner. The desk clerk however was pleasant and accomodating to all of our requests. The room was clean and bright, with a nice large bathroom, a balcony with chairs (if you are looking for a lake view, keep looking as you can only see a slice of the lake from your room), and quality complimentry toiletry products. The kitchenette was clean and had enough supplies for our needs. My husband and I both agreed that it was a good value for the money, however if we were staying in prime season, it would have cost quite a bit more and that would impact our decision-making. While there was an indoor pool there, we did not use it so cannot comment on it. Also we did have a problem with the inroom DVD player one night and after a call to the desk someone came to look at it right away(!) and was able to get us a different one. The one unfortunate thing about the jacuzzi rooms is that even though there is a small sign on the wall in the bathroom about not using the jacuzzi after 10pm, most people either didn't read the sign, or didn't care because there were jacuzzis running well after 11 pm (the room next to ours was remarkably loud!) and disturbing as we were trying to sleep. Other than that, it was a nice hotel and we would recommend it to others.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank jakuehl50
Janesville WI
Reviewed 25 October 2010

Even though this hotel wasn't right on the lake (Lake Geneva), it was walking distance to all the bars/restaurants/shops. I actually liked the fact that our balcony was "tucked" away--so I could drink my coffee in my robe without feeling like I would be seen. The staff was very helpful in suggesting places to eat. It was very comfy! We will definitely go again!!!

• Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Viewbythewater
Chicago
Reviewed 17 October 2010

Overall, my wife and I liked this hotel. The location was the best. We also liked the jacuzzi tub and the view. My issue was rather simple- I booked a "Platinum Suite" which among other things was to feature a king-sized bed.

When we checked in we discovered it was only a queen. I was irritated because I had paid in advance for the highest-price suite and didn't get what was promised. I called the front desk and was told that was all they had and that we had a great view of the lake. Furthermore, they should really invest in better sheets and mattresses. The mattress sagged and the sheets reminded me of those used at a Motel 6.

Next time we will stay elsewhere.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank dbk51
mcmgmt, Manager at Mill Creek Hotel, responded to this review, 6 February 2011
We have a total of three Platinum Suites, two of them have a king size bed and one (top floor) has a queen size bed. At the time of your booking, we only had the queen Platinum available. Sorry for the confusion, but it was mentioned at time of booking your reservation.
Oak Park, Illinois
Reviewed 23 August 2010

This hotel has clear pros & cons:
Pros -
*great central location that allowed us to walk to everything, beach, restaurants, even a farmer's market that was going on the Thursday we were there.
*really nice set up with complete kitchen, dishes, pans, etc.
*really helpful, polite, exceedingly pleasant staff
Cons-
*sheets are about 80 thread count, definitely yucky feeling, not great for sleeping
*furnishings are definitely worn and in need of replacement

In spite of the cons, we will probably stay here again, but will bring my own sheets! We paid $169 per night and it was without a doubt the best deal around.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled with family