“Outstanding location, okay hotel”
Review of Bella Vista Suites

Bella Vista Suites
Ranked #13 of 15 Hotels in Lake Geneva
Reviewed 3 April 2011

The hotel is across the street from Geneva Lake and is about 2 blocks from both the public beach and downtown. There are a few great restaurants within walking distance.

The room was clean, but outdated. For example, the bathroom used both gold & chrome fixtures. The wallpaper in the living area was done very poorly. The TV was LCD and had a good selection of cable channels, however, it also was attached to a VCR. There is a $5.99 per rental VHS machine you can get movies from. The pillows were terribly thin. Almost better to just not use one at all.

The room did have a nice balcony with 2 chairs overlooking a parking area and a city park. It was nice that they had a refrigerator with water ($2.50) and a microwave. The complimentary breakfast basket they provided had bagels, muffins, orange juice, granola bars and fruit cocktail cups.

The hotel has a nice bar that has windows overlooking the lake. The service here and at the front desk was prompt and friendly. Check-in and check out were fast and my reservation was accurate. The slightly bad experience with an employee was at night when we were told abruptly that the pool area was closed. Would have been better if we'd been told it was closed and asked to leave, rather than just told "pool's closed."

I'd go back, but may want to spend more on a hotel that has been updated and was a bit more luxurious.

Room Tip: Be willing to pay for a lakefront room.
  • Stayed: March 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank coso333
cgruberBVS, General Manager at Bella Vista Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 6 June 2011

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. I am very glad you enjoyed our wonderful location on the shores of Lake Geneva. We are continually working to ensure we keep our suites well-appointed, since your April stay we have upgraded our linen package as well as just this week added DVD players to every suite. I apologize regarding the closing of the pool and I have spoken to security to ensure they are more courteous in the future. We hope to see you again soon so that you can experience the new upgrades!

Reviewed 18 January 2011

We stayed here for one night for a getaway in a corner suite with a view of the lake. The suite was large, but had an awkward layout that had some wasted space. It had a kitchenette area which is always nice. It had 1.5 bathrooms, but the half bath seemed unnecessary except for the fact the full bath doesn't have a door. The actual bedroom portion was pretty small and tight and the furniture was very outdated. The only heating unit in the suite was in the bedroom and b/c of the shape of the suite the heat doesn't travel to the main living room very well. Overall the hotel is nice, has a good location and good service, but have realistic expectations of what you are getting going in as this hotel isn't overly fancy.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank kaptraveler
Reviewed 13 December 2010

We didn't arrive untill late at night and with the weather being so cold and snowing, we parked in they're underground heating parking. They had put the heat and lights on for us so the we didn't have to walk into a cold, dark room. The beds were very comfortable and room was very clean. Suite came with big fluffy robes and a basket of goodies. Location was great and we didn't have to deal with noisy kids and teenagers running around. I can say it was the best rest ever. Thank you Bella Vista Suites, I will be coming back!!!!

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled with friends
Reviewed 12 November 2010

We stayed for a weekend and enjoyed everything about the hotel and the City. The front desk staff was very friendly and helpful. They even went to the trouble of explaining all the fun things to do around town. Our room was great - clean, comfortable and with all the wonderful ammenities you come to expect from a great hotel. We would absolutely stay at Bella Vista Suites again. In fact we are already talking about our next visit

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled as a couple
AllysonCataldo, Hotel management at Bella Vista Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 1 December 2010

I'm so happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us! We work hard to make sure our guests enjoy themselves, and I'm thrilled to see that you were so happy here. I'll make sure your compliments are passed on to our staff as well. We're looking forward to seeing you again very soon -- please let us know the next time you will be staying with us, and thank you so much for your wonderful review!

Reviewed 10 November 2010

We spent a wonderful two-day getaway at this lovely hotel. From start to finish our experience was exceptional. The front desk personnel were very friendly and helpful, especially Angela, with whom I spoke on the phone when making reservations. We really enjoyed the whirlpool in our bedroom and the fireplace in the living area. We spent quite a bit of time relaxing on the balcony enjoying the lake view. The location of the hotel was perfect for walking to the downtown area. I can't think of a single negative thing to say--we'll certainly be back!

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank TravellingMarj

Thank you so much for your glowing review of our hotel! We're honored to receive your 5-star review, and excited to hear that you plan on staying with us again, as that is by far the highest compliment we can receive. I will make sure I pass your compliments on to Angela and the other front desk staff as well.

Please let us know when you'll be staying with us again! We look forward to seeing you very soon.

Reviewed 5 November 2010

Please, please, please read this review!! I've never taken the time to write a review before, but this just has to be said so that others don't make the same mistake I did. I'm not hard to please, but this was ridiculous.

I was looking for a nice place to overnight in Lake Geneva with my wife for our 8th anniversary and settled on Bella Vista Suites. I've stayed in Lake Geneva before, but never at this hotel, so I made sure to read a lot of reviews before booking. Many spoke well of nice rooms, good atmosphere, etc., so I wasn't overly concerned about my gamble...until we checked in to our room. We stayed in Room 401, which is classified as a "Beach View Suite" and is second in quality only to the 2-bedroom "Presidential Suite" at this hotel. Sounds good, right? Keep reading.

Let me preface my remarks with some comments about myself- I'm in my early 30's, I'm not pretentious, I don't expect to be waited on hand and foot, I live comfortably but not lavishly, and I didn't expect this place to be of a Ritz Carlton caliber. What I wasn't expecting was an overnight experience that left me longing for a night in the Holiday Inn.

The only "nice" thing about our room was the view of the lake. Everything else was a complete fail. It was dirty and old with low quality finishes throughout. The layout is poor, very, very small bedroom with no view of the lake, small sitting area with a gas fireplace, but oriented away from the lake. The bed had very low quality linens, scratchy and thin (including the comforter), 2 old standard sized pillows, and who knows how old the mattress is, it sagged terribly in the middle and was squeaky. I woke up 4 times during the night. The jacuzzi tub in the bedroom was small and scratched on the outside, we didn't even use it.

The bathroom was a complete joke, small vanity (the kitchen vanity top in the hall was larger), corner shower that you could hardly move in, towel bar falling out of the wall above the toilet (there was actually a cigarette burn in in the wallpaper above the toilet), mildew or mold around the shower head, stained grout on the floor and mineral deposits around the shower, there was an end cap missing on the laminate counter top, the wallpaper border was peeling and there were scratches all over the doors and vanity. And, the sink wouldn't drain when the shower was on...gross.

The carpet and all of the chairs in the room were stained and the chairs were threadbare on the arms. The climate control in the room was serviced through a wall unit in the sitting area, so we had a very difficult time regulating the temp in the bedroom throughout the night. There was a drop ceiling through much of the room, but the tiles are old and yellow and many of them didn't fit correctly in the ceiling grid.

The hotel common areas were as bad as our room, stained carpet and nicked up woodwork and walls. The desk clerk didn't even say hello when we checked in, he was more concerned with whatever he was looking at on his computer in the adjacent office.

I have literally stayed in Super-8s nicer than this hotel and it didn't cost me $204 for the night.

Overall I would highly recommend that anyone looking for a romantic atmosphere and clean room stay somewhere else. The Geneva Inn and the Grand Geneva are more expensive, but A LOT nicer than this place. Bella Vista Suites is a TERRIBLE value for the money and I can guarantee that I will never stay here again or recommend it to family and friends. Don't be fooled by the reviews saying this place is OK, or even nice, because it's not. This entire hotel needs to be gutted and remodeled, it's old, dirty and run down.

PS- I would have included photos to qualify my statements, but I didn't have a camera handy. Sorry.

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled as a couple
6  Thank OrganizeDC30

I’m so sorry that you were so dissatisfied with your stay with us at Bella Vista Suites. We’re very proud of our reputation and the good reviews we’ve earned in the past. I’m especially disappointed to hear that you did not enjoy our Beach View Suite, as it is one of our most popular rooms and one that most guests enjoy very much.

After checking with our front desk staff, it seems that none of these problems were brought to the attention of hotel personnel during your stay – if you ever stay with us again, please voice your concerns to us right away! Our number one priority is that you enjoy yourself and are content during your time with us. If your room is not to your liking, we’ll be happy to switch you to another room.

I have also personally checked the room you’ve stayed in to make sure that any cosmetic issues have been corrected. We have not had any other complaints about the cleanliness of our rooms and room 401 is clean, fresh, and ready for guests, as are our common areas. However, I will make sure that your comments are passed on to our housekeeping and maintenance staff, as the issues that you’ve mentioned are not something that we will tolerate in any of our suites.

As I mentioned previously, I am so sorry that your stay wasn’t satisfactory – please contact us at 262-248-2100 and speak with our general manager, Tom Hyslop. The kind of experience you’ve had is not something we are okay with offering to our guests and we want to make every effort to make sure that all of your concerns have been addressed, as well as hoping that we can persuade you to give us another chance to earn a great review from you. Thank you for taking the time to review our property as your comments can only help us improve.

Reviewed 11 September 2010

I called and spoke with a someone called Angela at the front desk. She was rude, and unpleasant. I wanted informationabout the room . She put me on hold twice and talked to me like I was an idiot because bella vista's web sit does not give a layout of the rooms. I decided not to book the 300.00 room. If I can not get good service on the phone why would i get it at the hotel .

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled as a couple
4  Thank paul_krs

I’m so sorry that you had an unsatisfactory experience with our hotel. We are a small and intimate hotel with limited staff numbers, so at times front desk staff must assist guests waiting at the desk while they are answering the phone. I can assure you that Angela is a fantastic employee and we are very proud of the job she does at the front desk – however, we have passed along your comments to her to make sure that no one else feels that they were treated rudely.

We’d really love for you to give us a second chance – we’re sure that you’d love our beautiful lakefront location and our quiet and peaceful setting. Please call our general manager Tom Hyslop at 262-248-2100 when you get a chance. He will be able to provide you with an overview of all our different room types as well as address any other concerns or questions you might have. We’re also looking into getting room layouts & pictures posted on our website – we have many different types and sizes of suites available and we want to make sure our future guests choose exactly the perfect room type for their stay with us. Thank you for your review and comments, we’ll make sure we improve from your input.