“Nice views, great for the price”
Review of Bella Vista Suites

Bella Vista Suites
Ranked #13 of 15 Hotels in Lake Geneva
Reviewed 10 December 2006

I agree with the earlier reviewers:

It is a nice location, only a walk away from Lake Geneva's main attractions with beautiful views of the lake and also steps away from the restaurants and night life. It was, however, noisy in our lakeview room (worth the extra money for the beautiful view,) with busy street downstairs. If you are looking for a very quiet getaway, this may not be the place. Also, there are lots of kids here, so it's great for a family with children. We never got to use the pool or the exercise room, but they are available, as well.

Disclaimer:
These are individually owned units, so I am not sure if our room represents all of them.

Otherwise--comfortable hotel with clean rooms, televisions and VCR, fireplace and whirlpool are optional but available.

A nice choice, overall.

• Stayed: November 2006, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3  Thank medmom2002

Reviewed 4 November 2006

The Bella Vista Suites is a great suite property in a terrific location! The rooms are well-kept and clean. The service, particularly management, is superb! It's right downtown across the lake within walking distance to all the shops and restaurants of downtown Lake Geneva. Plus, you get a terrific basket of breakfast goodies delivered to your room in the morning! Can be a little pricey, especially during peak summer season, but it's worth it. One minor change would make it even better. Right now, there is a tiny fitness room by the pool area with one treadmill and 2 bikes. Another treadmill or elliptical machine could really enhance the place, since there were always people waiting to use the treadmill it seemed. Otherwise, overall pleasant experience!

• Stayed: October 2006, travelled with family
2  Thank travel4ever2
Reviewed 19 September 2006

This hotel is ok but not great. It is in a very nice location, right next to the lake, with a city park behind the hotel. It's also a few minutes walk to the center of downtown, where there is a Starbucks and several shops. We had a park view suite, and although it was two rooms, it felt tight for two adults and two children. The pullout couch in the front room is not very comfortable, but the bed in the bedroom was comfortable. The room was clean and everything was in good repair. The complimentary continental breakfast was a lot of not very good bread products, orange juice and not very crisp apples.

• Stayed: September 2006, travelled with family
9  Thank MGATL
Reviewed 7 June 2006

I stayed the Bella Vista, From June 2 to the 4th.. this service was great, my room was also great. Everything was very clean, and worthy of the price. The breakfast was ok, my husband and I are not big breakfast eaters.. so it suited us just fine. This weekend was very quiet.. and I enjoyed my stay. I will definately book this hotel again. I enclosed some photos of the inside of the hotel.

• Stayed: June 2006
4  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Chicago
Reviewed 4 June 2006

This was my first time visiting Bella Vista and I will never visit there again. Rooms were not clean and in no way comfortable. They were tiny and claustrophobic.

The pictures dont show it, but once you check in.. you realize how big of a mistake it is.

I would recommend any other place but Bella Vista.

Just my 2cents.

-Emma

• Stayed: May 2006
14  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Chicago, IL
Reviewed 20 June 2005

I just stayed at this hotel over the weekend for one night in the Beachview Suite I liked it I thought it was a romantic room with the fireplace and Jaccuzi for 2 people and the bed was nice and firm I think the basket in the morning was nice too but could have offered better items for the price I paid for this room which was $299/a night also there were a lot of spider webs on the balcony which I did not like at all but this hotel is cool for a weekend getaway also the noise on the street is a little loud but I liked the view from the balcony of the Lake.

• Stayed: June 2005
9  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Rockford, IL
Reviewed 22 March 2005

I took my mom away for an overnight to Lake Geneva. It was 'off season' so even tho the lake was frozen (ice fishing!) and the town pretty deserted, it was nice to be able to shop and eat without the crowds.

Bella Vista Suites is a beautiful and well-maintained property. There are 39 suites at the Bella Vista and we chose the least expensive room - the Park View Suite and I paid an internet special price of $99.00

We had a view of the parking lot.. which was a bit noisy with car doors opening and closing thru the evening. I imagine it would be noiser during 'season'. They do have an underground parking garage as well.. which would provide piece of mind during the busy season!

Although I'm sure rooms can vary, our room had:

- small living room containing a sleeper sofa, a small end table with lamp/phone, a plush chair, small coffee table, large TV (I'm guessing a 25 inch) a VCR and a wet bar.

- Wet bar had a larger under cabinet refrigerator that is big enough to hold a few 12 packs of soda and a variety of food. There was a small microwave and the sink. Overhead cabinets held glasses, plates and utensils. There was also bottles of flavored water in the refrigerator (for $2 each!) and they provided a snack basket which held thigns like candy bars, cookies and chips... but each item cost you $1.. so hit the grocery store on the way into town and pick up your snacks there! They did have a mini coffee pot and included a pack of regular and a pack of decaf coffee with creamer and sugar - that was free.

- Bathroom had a Jacuzzi brand tub with a shower, the vanity and the room included a hair dryer, makeup mirror and Judith Jackson toiletries. There was alos a retractable closeline available.

- Bedroom with a king sized bed, one end table with lamp/phone, large dresser and a smaller TV than the one in the living room.

- Robes to wear - we didn't use ours but they were available, as were an iron/ironing board and extra pillows.

Other specifics:

- The breakfast basket was the only thing that disappointed me. The website says you will get a basket filled with muffins and fruit breads from the Elegant Farmer. I live in the area and I've been to the "Elegant Farmer" and they have lovely muffins, pies and the like.. so imagine my disappointment when I opened the door to find a basket containing 2 plain bagels with butter and jam packets, 2 small apples and 2 small orange juices. I don't eat bagels and my mother (who has false teeth) can't eat bagels - they are too hard to chew. Luckily, we had snacks so we made do and had a bigger lunch. I think they should just say that they will provide a small contenential breakfast.. under promise, and over deliver please!

- Pool : I never saw the pool, so I can't comment.

- Game room: There is a small game room..I saw it from afar.

- VHS movies to rent - they cost you $5.50 a pop... so bring your own!

- Ice machine is available and they did have soda machines..but I didn't use them so I don't know the price.

- There is an elevator on site

- The view from the front door of the hotel is amazing.. and would be especially beautiful in season when the lake isn't frozen! It is directly across the street from the lake.

- Close to town.. on a nice day, you can walk pretty much everywhere.. it was too cold on our visit tho. The beach is a few blocks away as are many other hotels, restaurants and the entire downtown.

- Downtown is filled with fun little 'mom & pop' shops that are fun to browse thru.. many places offer homemade fudge... Kilwin's makes choclate treats and offers ice cream, there is a Starbucks too!

- Don't get a ticket! Lake Geneva is filled with parking meters. When we were there it was 2 hours free parking,,then you had to start feeding the meters (or move) .. in season, parking is a nightmare so walking is the best way to go... and they DO give tickets. They also have fine boxes on the streets to pay your fine.

- Just a note... if you are a vegetarian like me, it's hard to find food. (that is the case in the midwest anyway - I live around here, I know!) .. and avoid the convenience store in town - it's very expensive. A box of Triscuits was marked $5.39, a small box of Cap'n Crunch cereal was $6 and you can imagine what everything else cost. There are two grocery stores on the outside of town.. it's worth the trek.

18  Thank A TripAdvisor Member