“Nice stay at The Cove”

Ranked #9 of 15 Hotels in Lake Geneva
Illinois
“Nice stay at The Cove”
Reviewed 7 July 2013

We just returned from a three night stay at The Cove and had a great experience. It was our second time here - the first under the new management. We stayed in a second floor Commodore Suite with our three year old. The room was a little dated (think grandma's living room), but extremely clean with a ton of room, a nice large bathroom and plenty of storage. The family we were staying with had a third floor Anchor Suite that was very nice also - upgraded granite counters in the kitchen and a stone finish on the fireplace wall. Many of the reviews on here complained about the hotel being dirty and not kept up very well. Our experience was not like that at all. The walls and ceilings in both the hallways and the rooms looked as though they had just been painted. The hallway carpets were pretty clean and we saw workers spot cleaning them as necessary. All of the staff we encountered from the desk workers to the lifeguards were very friendly and professional. If you treat people nicely and with respect, you'll probably get the same in return.

The pools and the location of the hotel are the biggest selling points for us. We parked our car and never used it the entire stay. The downtown location on the lake is fantastic. The pools are great - nice and big. The kids had a great time in the kiddie pools on the slides/pirate ship as well as in the big pool. We stayed during the 4th of July holiday and it was crowded, but never a problem at the pool. We had cabanas reserved for the two full days we were there. They were nice to reserve so there was no struggling to get a table with an umbrella later in the day and to get out of the sun. The cabanas come with a nice snack basket with candy, chips, pop, water, etc. We would definitely consider renting them again. There was live music in the afternoons as well as a bar that you can go up to and order, or they have servers that come around. Amanda was fantastic - very friendly and professional. The only big problem we encountered at the pool was on the first day we ordered lunch from the restaurant and it took forever. When it finally arrived, everything was cold. They were very nice when we said something and replaced it immediately. Lunch the next day was not a problem - arrived in a timely manner with no problems.

If you're expecting the Ritz Carlton, you'll be very disappointed in this hotel. There is definitely nothing fancy or luxury about it. It is, however, a great place to stay in Lake Geneva and have a really nice time. It's location and pool can't be beat.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank EnMMcG
Tony C, General Manager at Cove of Lake Geneva, responded to this review, 8 July 2013
Thank you for taking the time to post your feedback on your most recent stay at The Cove of Lake Geneva! We are so glad you and your family had a wonderful time! I am happy to hear the staff was friendly and helpful! Thanks again for your business and we hope to see you very soon!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (165)
Janesville, Wisconsin
Reviewed 2 July 2013

My friend and I wanted a girl's weekend in Lake Geneva so we decided to try the Cove. It's right on the water and was within walking distance of everything we wanted to do. Location is awesome. The rooms were good, nothing great. Very outdated, but clean. It was okay for a night but probably wouldn't go back.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Sandy B
Tony C, General Manager at Cove of Lake Geneva, responded to this review, 4 July 2013
Thank you for taking the time to post feedback on your most recent visit to the Cove of Lake Geneva. We take all of our customer feedback very serious. I apologize that your perception of the hotel was dated. The owners and new management company are working together to bring new life back to The Cove. Thanks again for your feedback and it is my hope that you will give us an opportunity to regain your confidence in the near future.
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 1 July 2013

I have been to Lake Geneva over past summers and I have always stayed at Harbor Shores which is located next to The Cove of Lake Geneva. After reading many mixed reviews and some scary room stories I was hesitant to book a stay at The Cove. The location was prime because of how close it is to downtown Lake Geneva, the view of the lake across the street was unbeatable, and with a great weekly rate I just bit the bullet and paid for a night's stay and booked on Kayak.com. My boyfriend and I arrived a around 11am the morning of our check in. I went to the front desk to see if we could get an early parking pass and pool key, and to see if there was any chance of early check in, even though check in is not until 3pm. I am glad I went in early because the hotel said that they never recieved Kayak.com's booking information or confirmation so we had no hotel room. The staff was great and she felt so bad even though it was not an issue on their end. She found us an Anchor Suite room that was pool view on the third floor and allowed us to check in the room immediately. That is an example of great customer service.
The outdoor pool area was great and we hung out by the pool all day long. The cabana bar outside was also a great addition to our stay by the pool. Our room was not the most up to date, or the best decorated but it came stocked with everything we needed and was comfortable and clean. The next morning we checked out and our friends decided last minute to meet us up for the day and we decided to get a room for one more night all together. The hotel staff was once again great and provided us with a great room and again gave us a room with pool view and a prime location when the lady at the desk did not have to go above and beyond and do so. It was noon and our room was ready immediately, again earlier than usual check in time. Our room this time was a Commodore Suite on the third floor and was beautifully decorated and had modern decor. The room was clean and comfortable for the most part, the pull out couch being somewhat problematic. The whole day we again enjoyed the pool.
I am so glad I chose to ignore some negative reviews and stay at The Cove. We had a wonderful time and experienced great customer service, which goes a long way in my book any day. I would not book a trip with Kayak.com again, but I will definitely choose to stay at The Cove of Lake Geneva again.

Room Tip: If you are thinking of choosing the Anchor Suite it is great but spend the extra ten dollars and get...
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Courtney K
Tony C, General Manager at Cove of Lake Geneva, responded to this review, 3 July 2013
On behalf of the hotel and our entire staff we would like to thank you for taking the time to post your feedback about your experience on your recent visit to THE COVE. We are pleased you were pleasantly surprised!!! We here at The Cove prides ourselves on customer service and look forward to your return on your future reservation. Thank you!
Reviewed 29 June 2013

We recently stayed in the dover suite this past week. The hotel and rooms need an overall cleaning and more suitable furniture. The carpets were dirty and the beds were more uncomfortable than rocks.
Most importantly, the service staff overall including lifegaurds were rude. It is understandable if there are unforeseen issues or weather that cause a pool to close, but guests should be notified immediately. We were not told at check in the pool was closed, even though it was sunny out. When we asked, staff members gave us different answers and were rude in general. When there were no issues, the pool still didn't open on time and the lifeguards didn't want people to swim at night when the pool still had 20 minutes left to be open.
There was never an apoligize for any inconviences.
Also, good luck having housekeeping call you back if you leave even a simple dvd in the room.
Unfortunately if you want to enjoy the downtown area with a family, this is sadly one of your only options. Regardless of change in management, I have seen a multitude of negative reviews of staff, which to my fault ignored and stayed anyway. This should be an easy management fix to address the human resource and hospitality issues.
I have no plans to ever stay again.

• Stayed June 2013
Tony C, General Manager at Cove of Lake Geneva, responded to this review, 11 September 2013
Thank you for your review regarding your experience. We greatly appreciate you taking the time to bring this matter to our attention and apologize for any inconvenience your experience may have caused you. We strive to exceed our guests’ expectations and create memorable experiences. We take all feedback seriously, and sincerely regret that we did not meet your expectations. We hope you will give us the opportunity to regain your confidence in the near future.

Travellers are raving about these Lake Geneva hotels

Waukesha, WI
Reviewed 25 June 2013

This is not a luxury resort, do not believe what their website says. The management staff is extremely unprofessional and they need to be re-trained in there customer service skills. Do not count on staying on ANY of the pull out beds in the rooms, the furniture is so old and the pull out bed we tried to use would not even open - complete piece of crap. The beds are hard, uncomfortable and NOT resort like at all. The only reason we stayed here was because it looked like it had a nice pool however the only day we could use the pool they closed it for routine maintenance with no warning. The manager at the front desk had not sympathy what so ever and was plain rude to us. Had an incidence where a maintenance person came to our room while we were out to dinner because the toilet would not flush and when we came back a valuable necklace was gone. Maintenance manager was a complete jerk to us, basically told us we were lying and that his maintenance guy would never steal something - the incident was handled very poorly. The Cove is an outdated dump with terrible, terrible customer service. NO LUXURY HERE!!!

Room Tip: My tip is, don't choose a room here at all.
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends
4 Thank Jill G
Tony C, Cheif Engineer at Cove of Lake Geneva, responded to this review, 26 June 2013
I apologize for the inconveniences you experienced during your stay. We do our best to provide a professional experience to all of our guests. We are in the process of updating the furniture to meet our standards of service. Also, the pool had a highly sensitive issue that needed maintenance attention. With a projected forecast of rain for the entire day we made the call that morning to take action on these issues. After taking action we were required by law to close down the outdoor pool area. We have certain procedures in place for all situations and do our best to accommodate our guests.
Kalamazoo, Michigan
Reviewed 25 June 2013

We recently spent 3 days at The Cove and had a very pleasant experience. Everything was clean and our room was nice. We stayed in a anchor suite, which was on the ground floor, and the patio looked over the parking lot which was mostly empty, giving us a good view of the park and stream. All of the staff that we encountered were polite and helpful. The pool and surrounding area were well-maintained and inviting. My only suggestion for improvement would be about the "2 complimentary drink coupon" which we were given at check-in. These were very appreciated, although it would have been helpful to know that there was a limit of $10 on it. I was embarrassed when I ordered 2 margaritas at the pool bar and was told that I owed an additional $6 for them, since they were $8 each---I didn't have any cash with me since we were swimming and had to charge it to my room. Had I known the amount, I could have either ordered a cheaper drink or brought more cash with me. Not a huge problem at all, just that it would have been good to know this in advance. All in all, we had a great time and would stay there again. We used a Groupon offer, and definitely got a lot of value for our money.

Room Tip: Room 150 looks over the back parking lot, but you can still see the little park and stream and it wa...
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank P K
Thank you for the wonderful response in reference to your stay at The Cove of Lake Geneva!

We are glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. We do apologize for the lack of clarity regarding the drink coupons. We will take corrective actions immediately.

We appreciate your business and look forward to having you back at The Cove.
Kenosha, Wisconsin
Reviewed 25 June 2013

I set up a block of rooms every year at the Cove for a charity event in held in the area and it is always a great experience! Everyone in our group enjoys their stay, the rooms are nice, the staff is professional and friendly, the restaurant has good food, and the level of service is exceptional.

This year my air conditioner was not working properly in my room so I called the front desk to report it. I then went out for a few hours and upon returning to my room I saw that the entire air conditioning unit had been replaced, What AWESOME service!!!! Problems happen from time to time, but when they are handled in a professional and timely manner, it really makes the difference.

We have been booking rooms at the Cove for over ten years and will continue for many years to come. What a truly great team of people they have working there! I recommend this hotel to anyone who is looking for a great place to stay at a reasonable price!

• Stayed June 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank Apey44
Tony C, General Manager at Cove of Lake Geneva, responded to this review, 20 August 2013
The Cove staff and owner are extremely grateful you had a wonderful stay at the hotel. We thank you for your business, please visit us again soon.