“Great place, general manager couldn't have been more helpful...”

Cove of Lake Geneva
Ranked #6 of 15 Hotels in Lake Geneva
Reviewed 31 July 2013

We took our 3 grandchildren (7, almost 10 and 12) here for two nights. I called ahead and spoke with G.M. because I have a health issue. He was terrific ... he listened and the room (Flagship) was in the condition I needed. Unfortunately the weather wasn't great but having the indoor pool and hot tub helps lots! The only thing I suggest anyone do if they need to use the hide-a-bed is check it out as soon as you get in the room. We didn't and that was a terrible mistake. The coils were almost coming out of mattress and the 10 year refused to sleep on it. She ended up sleeping on the closed sofa. It was exchanged at 10:30 at night for a better one. Suggest owners be forced to purchase decent bedding...is this possible, Tony. I have recommended The Cove to several people already. Fun getaway with or with children!!!!

Room Tip: We were on the 4th floor so we had no noise. Loved staying here.
1  Thank dee r
Tony C, General Manager at Cove of Lake Geneva, responded to this reviewResponded 1 August 2013

Thank you for your kind remarks, it was my pleasure to assist you during your stay at The Cove. We appreciate your business and welcome you to visit us again soon!

Tony Cruz

Reviewed 31 July 2013

I have NO idea why people liked it here! It is soooo expensive for an out-dated, musty-smelling, lame pool, ignorant staff (minus the very nice coffee store lady) "resort" - it is NOT a resort! I paid over $450 for two nights in a small room that was totally out-dated and unimpressive to say the least.

7  Thank ladyfive2013

Thank you for taking the time to post feedback from your stay at the Cove of Lake Geneva. I apologize that your stay was disappointing and it is my hope that you will give us an opportunity to regain your confidence.

Reviewed 25 July 2013

The rooms at The Cove are all different and are owned by different owners, so I won't comment too much on the room itself since you'll all have different experiences in your own rooms. I will say it was nicely decorated and large enough to accommodate my whole bridal party as we got ready on my wedding day but very dimly lit and hard to do wedding makeup except on the floor by the sliding glass door. You can't book a specific suite in advance, only a suite type, so even though the other rooms with the same floor plan might have better suited our needs, we couldn't request one specifically.

Obviously the location is the best advantage of this hotel, and I think the owners are new, (which should be seen as a BIG plus since we had earlier written a "terrible" review thanks to the horrible customer service, but which has since disappeared from Trip Advisor along with all other reviews prior to December 2012 when I believe the place changed hands).

My rating is being dragged down from "very good" to "average" because they touted the hotel as having wi-fi which was not true in 2 of the rooms occupied by my family and myself during my wedding weekend. (Both rooms were in the far back hallway of the hotel, but not next to each other). As the bride, I had ALL of my hairstyles saved online and figured I could use my tablet or laptop to pull up the pictures for my stylist when she arrived. The rooms on the 3rd floor facing the pool do NOT have wi-fi! It worked in the hallway on the 3rd floor only when I stood by the window (above the lobby) but not from our room or from the back hallway.

I called the front desk 3 times about this issue. The first time I was told that they knew about it and it would be fixed soon and that they had someone there working on it. That was Friday around check-in so I relaxed a bit. Still not working Friday night I called again and the girl said she didn't know anything about it not working and that nobody had been in but she'd check on it. Saturday morning, (aka WEDDING DAY,) I called again and another girl said I shouldn't be having trouble and to "try it again or come use it in the lobby". I am a far cry from being a bride-zilla type person but my hair stylist was going to be there in an hour so I went down to the lobby and the girl, seeing me nearly in tears in person, was nice enough to let me email her the pictures personally and she printed them off from behind the counter. It was this gesture that bumped this review up to "average" from the pre-2013 "terrible" which had been because of much more grave customer service issues (as it appears most of the negative reviews here for the Cove tend to be about).

Overall: overpriced for what you get, but at the same time it's typical Lake Geneva pricing. If you are looking for a weekend to "unplug", you'll have it here for sure. Expect a nice location but not much else. Each staff member on their own is very nice, I think the place is just a little confused about how it runs as a whole.

Room Tip: If you need wi-fi, stay towards the lobby!
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank curse10kaia
Tony C, General Manager at Cove of Lake Geneva, responded to this reviewResponded 26 July 2013

I apologize for the wireless internet issues you experienced at our hotel. The hotels wireless internet was struck by lightning in a recent storm. At the time we were working on resolving the problem and need more parts and materials. The system is up and running with more upgraded access points and higher internet speeds. It is my hope that you will accept my sincerest apologies and give us the opportunity to regain your confidence in the very near future.

Reviewed 24 July 2013

After reading several negative reviews, I was a little nervous about staying here with our friends. When we arrived I was greeted immediately from a very pleasant girl behind the desk who seemed really sincere that we are a valued customer. Even though we were a bit early, she said our room was ready and proceeded to explain to me all the hotel ammenities and some of the best places for dinner in the area. I left the desk feeling great about the stay. Our room was average. Some people said it could use some updating, and I agree, but everything was clean and everything worked. The balcony was awesome, as well as the outdoor pool.
I would definately stay here again.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Jimpro

I am extremely happy to hear that we exceeded your expectations and gave us the opportunity to accomodate you despite some reviews. I am also happy to hear that you were able to enjoy our spacious and an early check in. It is my hope that you will give us the opportunity to serve you again in the near future!

Reviewed 22 July 2013

Cant say enough about how great the room was. We have a large family and it was more than adequate for all of us. I saw somewhere where the anchor suite didn't have a stove--so I didn't shop for that kind of meal...but lo and behold there WAS a stove--but there was no silverware. Otherwise, it was HUGE and clean. Complaints are that the staff was not knowledgeable on almost every question I had. In fact the couple of times I had to call the front desk it rang a million times and we ended up having to walk down. That got old pretty quick. Also, they REALLY need to re-do the pirate ship by the pool. My husband found a chunk of wood with a HUGE nail sticking out of it. Definitely a safety hazard! We will certainly come back though. The space was enough to convince me and my crew!

1  Thank megan p
Tony C, General Manager at Cove of Lake Geneva, responded to this reviewResponded 24 July 2013

Thank you for taking the time to post your feedback on your most recent stay with us at the Cove of Lake Geneva. We take all of our customer feedback very seriously and I greatly apologize for the lack of customer service that you received on your most recent stay. I will address the issues you encountered with the ship to my Chief Engineer today! It is my hope that you will accept my sincerest apologies and give us the opportunity to regain your confidence in the very near future.

Reviewed 18 July 2013

The Anchor Unit we stayed in was wonderful. It had been updated, had a great tiled shower. The furniture was all in very good condition. We had several children and family members in other units and all of the units were clean and the kitchens were wonderful/ Perfect for families with children as you can bring your own food, That saves a fortune on take out. The location of the Cove is absolutely fantastic. Where else can you stay and walk to town and never move the car. The parking lot is very large and there is no charge for parking during you stay. I think this is the best value for the money and can't imagine why it would not be booked fully every night. Even in winter they have a really nice indoor pool. We will be back. A+

Room Tip: Best value is the Anchor. It is much larger than any of the Suite Hotels and a great kitchen.
3  Thank june q
Tony C, General Manager at Cove of Lake Geneva, responded to this reviewResponded 22 July 2013

The Cove staff and owner are extremely grateful you had a wonderful stay at the hotel. We thank you for your business and welcome you to visit again soon! Have a Great Summer!

Reviewed 18 July 2013

Pros: The suite was spacious and offered all the amenities we needed - two full baths, full kitchen, fireplace, etc. Pools were fantastic. Downtown location is ideal.

Cons: Limited parking - suite slept 6 but we were limited to 2 parking passes and were not told about this in advance. Room had a strange smell - likely the nasty carpeting. Staff was disinterested and uniformed and best or just plain rude at worst.

I doubt we will be back.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
3  Thank Susan C
Tony C, General Manager at Cove of Lake Geneva, responded to this reviewResponded 11 September 2013

Thank you for your review regarding your experience. We greatly appreciate you taking the time to bring this matter to our attention and apologize for any inconvenience your experience may have caused you. We strive to exceed our guests’ expectations and create memorable experiences. We take all feedback seriously, and sincerely regret that we did not meet your expectations. We hope you will give us the opportunity to regain your confidence in the near future.