“Good from afar, but far from good”

Cove of Lake Geneva
Ranked #8 of 15 Hotels in Lake Geneva
chicago, il
“Good from afar, but far from good”
Reviewed 14 August 2013

This place is disgusting. If it were anywhere but Lake Geneva with its swollen crowds, this place would fold in a week. Pubic hair all over the bathroom. Flimsy pillows, crappy bed. This place is in need of serious maintenance. The whirlpool bathtub didn't work. Outdated. I've stayed in nicer Motel 6's before.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank jlwren
Tony C, General Manager at Cove of Lake Geneva, responded to this review, 19 August 2013
I apologize that the room conditions and cleanliness was not to the quality that you should expect from our hotel. Thank you for posting your feedback as we do take all of our customer feedback very seriously. It is my hope that you will give us the opportunity to regain your confidence soon.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (168)
Chicago
Reviewed 10 August 2013

Stayed 8/8/13 for a night after boating on Lake Geneva. The best thing about this hotel is the location. It is right off the shore a block from Main St. There is a decent Sprecher's restaurant on the property which also handles room service although the desk clerk wasn't aware of it somehow. Booked a Belle loft suite for 6 which has a A framed large room with a loft in the middle up top. The loft is open on both sides over looking the bedroom at the entrance and the living room at the rear. There was a wide screen in the living room and two tube TV's in the bedroom. Not much privacy for a suite, no doors. If everyone has their TV on it sounds like a Las Vegas sports book. Two full bathrooms were nice and the air conditioning was more then adequate. Elevators were slow but OK. The property is fine and reminiscent of every other place I have stayed in Wisconsin. It is Lake Geneva in the summer so value is not going to be a strong suit. What was a joke was our sofa bed mattress. It was so bad that it provided endless comedic relief for the entire night. You could feel every round spring top, some of which hurt. Your head was about 4 inches lower then your feet and there were some major valleys and hills in the bed. It was like sleeping on cans or gravel although uniform gravel would have been better. Every time you moved it sprung and creaked notice to all. Hard to believe a hotel would have something this poor in use. If you normally give the kids the sofa bed beware. I have very low standards for sofa beds but this is really not fit for animal life. They may not all be this bad but if they are half this bad it still would have been the worst bed I have ever seen. Wow! I used points to stay here so I took it in stride for one night but couldn't have done two with that bed. The other beds were OK but it sleeps 6 supposedly. Ouch!

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Chap73
Tony C, General Manager at Cove of Lake Geneva, responded to this review, 12 August 2013
I apologize for the maintenance issues that you experienced in your suite. Unfortunately the parts necessary to fix your bed were unavailable at the time and have been ordered. We are in the process of doing preventive maintenance in each suite at the Cove. Thank you for posting your feedback as we do take all of our customer feedback very seriously. It is my hope that you will give us the opportunity to regain your confidence soon.

Travellers are raving about these Lake Geneva hotels

Chicago, Illinois, Usa
Reviewed 8 August 2013

I quite liked this place. This was my 3rd time staying at this resort. My friends and I decided it was time for a mini vacation away from our lives. This was perfect! We packed a ton of food in a cooler and we just cooked for most of our meals. The place was nice. it was quiet and the decor wasn't bad. We tried out the pools and it was nice. The cleaning crew was most thorough. I thought they were just gonna turn down the beds and just refilled the towels but they ran the dishwasher and they vacuumed My boyfriend LOVED the whirlpool in the room. I liked the location of it since the shops were so close. For the price that we paid, I thought it was a great stay.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank vctrapham
Tony C, General Manager at Cove of Lake Geneva, responded to this review, 9 August 2013
Thank you so much for your kind words and positive feedback. Your feedback is welcome and needed to accurately gauge our progress. Thank you for your repeat business and we look forward to serving you again in the future.

Tony Cruz
Arlington Heights, Illinois
Reviewed 7 August 2013

first, our "queen size sofa sleeper" is really a full size bed, which is broken beyond belief. After asking twice for it to be fixed or give us a rollaway bed, we were informed roll away beds are not kept on site and they cannot get one. The bed is so broken, my 20 year old had to sleep on the floor for our stay, which they stated was more comfortable than the bed. 1/2 the burners on the stove dont work, the carpeting in the room, to say the least was gross. The unit and the "resort" is not worthy of the term resort. It is at best, a motel 6 type quality, with a pool. i have stayed here before and these place continues to go downhill . never again.

Room Tip: Book somewhere else
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank PamP715
Lake Zurich, IL
Reviewed 2 August 2013

I've stayed at the Cove previously and wrote a wonderful review of the place. However, my latest stay was nothing but a disaster.

2 weeks earlier I had made a request for a room close to the elevator near the front desk, due to my recent knee surgery. "Lexi" said she couldn't reserve a specific room, but she would make a note of my request in our reservation. Upon our arrival, an hour before check-in, we were told our room was not ready. I asked where it was located and was told it was in the middle of the complex. Since I had made a request for a closer room due to my walking handicap, I asked for a different room. We were told the hotel was completely booked and nothing could be done. Lexi tried to move around some other reservations to accommodate me, but she was over-ruled by her manager, Tony. I then asked if the room assigned to us (Room 314) was recently renovated and was told "I don't know. I've never been to that part of the hotel."

Well, the room was definitely NOT recently renovated. The room smelled musty and the sofa sleeper couch was the most uncomfortable piece of furniture. We actually chose to sleep on the floor, instead of enduring the sofa sleeper.

The next day, we had a full day planned, leaving the hotel at 7 AM. Unfortunately, the elevators were not working anywhere in the hotel, so I couldn't leave, unless I endured the stairs. I called the front desk to ask when they would be operable again and I was told the call was already made to the repair company. No one at the front desk seemed to be able to give an estimate as to when the elevators would be working again. Since we had already bought tickets to go on the mailboat tour at 10 AM, I decided to try the stairs from our third floor room, hoping the elevators will be working upon our return. I succeeded getting downstairs, but it was very painful and my knees quickly swelled up.

When we came back to the hotel at 1 PM, I called and asked if the elevators were working yet. Again, I was told the repair service was called and would be there soon. I asked if there was a service elevator I could use to get back upstairs so I could ice my knees, and I was told no...use the stairs. When I explained I could not walk up, I was actually told "So, what do you want me to do?"...this, by the manager "Jen"!!

We once again left, went to a movie, and returned after 3:30. Again I called and inquired if the elevators were working and AGAIN I was told the repair service was called and were on their way from Milwaukee. Unable to get to our hotel room for 8 hours is ridiculous! And, from what 2 of the housekeepers told me, the elevators at the Cove frequently stop working. We finally returned to our room at 5:30 that evening....and lo & behold, it was never cleaned! The bed was still unmade, the dirty towels, still on the floor, and no vacuuming.

This hotel has gone downhill since our last stay here. Avoid it, and stay next door at Harbor Shores. The staff there is professional - unlike the Cove management. The rooms at Harbor Shores are smaller, but are very clean, the location is just as good, and you still have a kitchen. Avoid the Cove at all costs!

Room Tip: No wi-fi or AT&T service in rooms facing the pool. (And, no...it was not due to "lightning...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
3 Thank ieduca8
Tony C, General Manager at Cove of Lake Geneva, responded to this review, 7 August 2013
Thank you for taking the time to post feedback from your stay at the Cove of Lake Geneva. I apologize that your stay was disappointing and it is my hope that you will give us an opportunity to regain your confidence.
Sleepy Hollow, Illinois, United States
Reviewed 1 August 2013

My kids loved it! My son says, "next time lets go 4 days and 3 nights!" We stayed 2nights with a groupon. They loved the pools and the video game room. The loft upstairs was great. Perfect for families with kids. Only downfall was that the balcony was filled with bugs. Wish they would have sprayed it prior. My daughter got six bites just from us opening the door? Would have loved to sit out there. Thanks for a great stay!

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Tricia D
Tony C, General Manager at Cove of Lake Geneva, responded to this review, 3 August 2013
Thank you for taking the time to post your feedback from your visit to the Cove of Lake Geneva. We appreciate your ability to overlook some of our reviews and give us the opportunity to exceed your expectations. Thank you for your business and enjoy your summer!
USA
Reviewed 31 July 2013

We took our 3 grandchildren (7, almost 10 and 12) here for two nights. I called ahead and spoke with G.M. because I have a health issue. He was terrific ... he listened and the room (Flagship) was in the condition I needed. Unfortunately the weather wasn't great but having the indoor pool and hot tub helps lots! The only thing I suggest anyone do if they need to use the hide-a-bed is check it out as soon as you get in the room. We didn't and that was a terrible mistake. The coils were almost coming out of mattress and the 10 year refused to sleep on it. She ended up sleeping on the closed sofa. It was exchanged at 10:30 at night for a better one. Suggest owners be forced to purchase decent bedding...is this possible, Tony. I have recommended The Cove to several people already. Fun getaway with or with children!!!!

Room Tip: We were on the 4th floor so we had no noise. Loved staying here.
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank dee r
Tony C, General Manager at Cove of Lake Geneva, responded to this review, 1 August 2013
Thank you for your kind remarks, it was my pleasure to assist you during your stay at The Cove. We appreciate your business and welcome you to visit us again soon!

Tony Cruz