“Clean with friendly staff but some rooms are outdated”

Cove of Lake Geneva
Ranked #6 of 15 Hotels in Lake Geneva
Reviewed 18 November 2013

This was our first trip to Lake Geneva and it is such a cute little town! This hotel is within walking distance to everything you might want to do while you're here. The location really couldn't have been any better.

We stayed in the Anchor Suite, as did most of the people with whom we traveled. Our stay, including tax, came out to about $130/night. Our room was neat, clean, and smelled heavily of old White Castles or someone's burnt and not-so-healthy breakfast that morning. Our bed literally backed up to the elevator on the 3rd floor and we didn't hear a thing all night. Very well insulated! The bed really hurt my husband's back, though. He said it was like sleeping on a pile of cardboard. Ouch.

Since the rooms are apparently individually owned, we noticed some differences between them. The furniture is similar (old and dull) in all the rooms but the decor varies widely. Some have a couple prints on the walls and that's it, but others have nautical motifs, 3D art, etc. throughout the living space. They all have a gas fireplace which is nice, even if it's sort of cheesy, and the three rooms I saw all had jacuzzi tubs. Despite the nicer tub, the shower head was very outdated. The only mirror in the room was the one on the wall behind the bathroom sink. If you have more than one woman in a room trying to style her hair or apply makeup, someone is going to get knocked out. (Kidding.)

There was a door by the bed that was locked. I guess that's where the owners store their belonging? The suites at this level are all OPEN so if you want to stay in these rooms with other people and expect a little privacy (to get dressed, for example), think again. The bed is the first thing you see when you walk in the front door and the rest of the room is wide open so if other people are in the room socializing or coming and going through the front door, forget about even taking a nap.

The cook top in our room was old with coils that no longer fit into their holes on the stove. The stove itself sat on top of the counter with no oven below it. Of the rooms I saw, ours was the only one without an oven. It was also the only one without a modern cooking surface. This didn't bother us, but I imagine couples and families come here for the lake in the summer (FANTASTIC lake location) and cook all their own food all week. This would have been a huge problem if we had been counting on an oven. On top of the stove was the oldest tea kettle I have ever seen (not antique, not vintage, just OLD). I am a big tea drinker but I didn't even touch this thing. There are at least two coffee shops within two or three blocks and a breakfast joint called Egg Harbor that makes a great pot of Earl Grey. I would recommend sauntering up that way for your morning caffeine fix.

The hotel's restaurant is supposed to be very good but there was a fire in the kitchen in September 2013 and it is still closed for renovations. We did not hear or see any construction during our stay but that doesn't mean they aren't working on it, just that it was not loud enough to disrupt our stay (definitely a positive!). The GM sent out an email two days before we checked in to inform us of the restaurant closing.

Overall, we really truly enjoyed our stay here, even if the accommodations weren't exactly 5-star and the weather didn't really cooperate. There was lots of space and lots of seating even in the smallest of suites which was conducive to large groups of friends and family gathering together in someone's room for some good laughs and Wisconsin beer. For a casual lakeside vacation, I would not hesitate to stay here again.

Room Tip: Every room is different - don't be afraid to ask for a recently update suite when you check in!
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank CincyChic F
Tony C, General Manager at Cove of Lake Geneva, responded to this reviewResponded 20 November 2013

I apologize that the room conditions was not to the quality that you should expect from our hotel. Thank you for posting your feedback as we do take all of our customer feedback very seriously. It is my hope that you will give us the opportunity to regain your confidence in the near future.

Reviewed 13 November 2013

Great suite room with comfy bed. I really enjoyed the jacuzzi tub and nice bathroom and the fireplace in the living room. I even got to enjoy the balcony in the morning with my coffee (provided with real coffee cups!) and looked out at Geneva Lake.

Definitely want to go back

• Stayed: November 2013
2  Thank patpedsrn

We are so pleased you enjoyed your stay at The Cove! Thank you for your feedback and your business.

Reviewed 12 November 2013

After spending 13 years at the Grand Geneva every November (the room prices got way out of comfort range), I thought I would try another hotel. The Belle Loft Suite was clean and roomy (a little dated). I had a partial view of the lake from the balcony - it also had a table and 4 chairs to sit outside. It was nice having 2 bathrooms and a fireplace. The staff was friendly. The restaurant was closed do to a fire, but I was notified in advance of my visit so I wasn't surprised. This hotel is within walking distance to Main Street and its stores and restaurants. My only issue was the elevator was out of service when I left so I had to carry my luggage down 2 flights of stairs and was exhausted by the time I checked out. I highly recommend The Cove if they get the elevator fixed!

Room Tip: The loft suites are roomy, a full kitchen and 2 bathrooms.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Marianne P
Tony C, General Manager at Cove of Lake Geneva, responded to this reviewResponded 13 November 2013

Thank you for taking the time to post your feedback on your most recent stay at The Cove of Lake Geneva! We are so pleased you would recommend The Cove! I apologize for the elevator, it has been fixed. Thanks again for your business and we hope to see you very soon!

Reviewed 5 November 2013 via mobile

My wife and I stayed at the Cove last week and I have to say we absolutely enjoyed it and will stay there every time where in Lake Geneva.
We were greeted by a very cheerful and friendly staff that was not only well versed about the hotel but the Lake Geneva area.
We really loved the room, excuse me, the Suite, much better than just a room.
It was so spacious with a jacuzzi in the bathroom , a full kitchen with stove , microwave, full size refrigerator and a dishwasher to remove the clutter of dirty dishes.
In the living room a full couch , end and coffee tables , a beautiful gas fire place with a beautiful view of the spacious outdoor balcony that had a large table and chairs overlooking the pools and a beautiful wooded area with a running creek.
A very serene , peaceful setting.

We've stayed at a neighboring hotel that boast similar amenities but in reality offer a typical old, dated small room setting with a view of the roof of a pizza restaurant with a hideous mural painted on it that you don't realize thats your view until after you've checked in.
We will recommend the Cove to all of our friends and business associates. It's a great place to stay for couples young or older , business stay overs and families with children.
Great place, 5 stars !!!!!

Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Cstealth
Tony C, General Manager at Cove of Lake Geneva, responded to this reviewResponded 12 November 2013

Thank you for taking the time to leave us such a wonderful review. We are thrilled that you enjoyed our hotel and our peaceful local setting. We thank you for your business, and look forward to serving you again in the near future.

Reviewed 3 November 2013

Am sitting in front of a lovely fire in one of the loft suites at The Cove. Our experience here has been so great, I don't even want to wait until I get home to share my review with you. The Cove is
situated across the road from beautiful Lake Geneva and beside a glorious park.
Check in was delightful. The staff were warm, helpful and efficient.
Our first night was spent in one of the Anchor Suites. What luxery! The furnishings were tasteful and fresh, the features of huge space, wonderful whirlpool in the bath, warm fireplace, private patio off the room, full kitchen and e en a dining room table with delicate lighting left nothing missing.
We were so delighted with the suite that we decided to stay another night. Because there was an overflow of wedding guests in the hotel last night, we moved to a loft suite that was still available. The staff arranged their efforts so we were able to move immediately to the new suite. While a bit less opulent than our first, this suite was pleasant and would be perfect for a group or family stay.
Though it was hard to leave the serenity of the suite, all the wonderful shops, restaurants and the lake were just two blocks from the front door. The delightful coffee bar in the lobby was a great starting off spot.
There will never be a question of where to stay in future visits to Lake Geneva! We can hardly wait to come back to The Cove!

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Kathie100
Tony C, General Manager at Cove of Lake Geneva, responded to this reviewResponded 5 November 2013

Thank you so much for your positive feedback. We are delighted that you enjoyed our hotel and the local shops in the area. We appreciate your business and look forward to see you again soon!

Reviewed 27 October 2013

We stayed at The Cove on Friday, Oct. 25th and Saturday, Oct. 26th. We were more than impressed with not only the hotel, but the location as well. The room was more like a condo, with a good sized bedroom, very spacious bath with a whirlpool tub, a very nice kitchen, beautiful living room with gas fireplace and even a good sized dining room table. There was also a nice little patio with a small table and 2 chairs. We read many reviews before we came, so we did bring our own pillows, and the beds wasn't the most comfortable ever, but it was still nice and very clean! We will be back and we will always stay at The Cove! Not only was the room spacious and very clean, the location couldn't be more perfect! The farthest walk we encountered was about 8 blocks to a restaurant we wanted to go to for breakfast, but everything, and I mean everything is right there! We parked our car in the hotel parking lot Friday when we arrived and we didn't get in it again until we left on Sunday. Perfect hotel, perfect location, perfect little vacation for myself and my boyfriend. We could not have been happier! If you are going to visit Lake Geneva, stay at The Cove!

Room Tip: It is an all suite hotel, so you can't go wrong with any of the rooms!
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Mwalsh5576
Tony C, General Manager at Cove of Lake Geneva, responded to this reviewResponded 28 October 2013

Thank you for taking the time to post your feedback on your most recent stay at The Cove of Lake Geneva! We are so glad you and your family had a fabulous time! Thanks again for your business and we hope to see you very soon!

Reviewed 16 October 2013

This is a very nice property. Is it perfect? No, but then again, neither are most places. The property was clean, the check-in and check out was efficient. Some of the furnishings are older and beds & pillows could be updated, but we had a perfectly decent stay. Best part is that it is walking distance to most things. I do have to agree with the other commenter, they could use newer (and more) luggage carts. There. There's my nitpick for the review.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank ChadinGB

Thank you for taking the time to post your feedback from your visit to the Cove of Lake Geneva. We appreciate your ability to overlook some of our reviews and give us the opportunity to exceed your expectations. Thank you for your business and we look forward to seeing you in the near future.