“Disappointing Valentine's Getaway”

Cove of Lake Geneva
Ranked #6 of 15 Hotels in Lake Geneva
Reviewed 19 February 2014

Extremely dated property that has a lot of potential but needs some TLC. They need to remove the "luxury" from their name-- I've stayed at nicer budget hotels. It feels like time has stood still since the early 80s.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Leah W
Ryan M, Guest Relations Manager at Cove of Lake Geneva, responded to this reviewResponded 21 February 2014

I am very sorry to hear about your experience here at the Cove. I appreciate the comments, as it gives us a better understanding of what we need to do going forward. I wanted to assure you that we are always striving to make the Cove a better place to stay for our guests. My hope is that you give us another try in the future!

Reviewed 13 February 2014

Myself and several friends stayed here the weekend of Jan 25. Upon arriving, we noticed the room had not been properly cleaned. The countertop was wet and sticky, there were leftover food items in the fridge, and to top it all off, there was a chewed piece of gum stuck to the TV remote (which I had to program myself, btw).

There was no answer at housekeeping (this would prove to be expected over the course of the weekend), but the front desk was able to get someone to come up and clean the room. When we needed additional towels and toiletries, housekeeping was again unavailable by phone, but the front desk eventually sent someone up.

The remainder of our stay was unremarkable.

After checking out on the 26th of January and arriving home, I realized that I had left, misplaced, or lost my wallet containing my credit cards and state ID.

- Jan 28th: I called to inquire about the missing wallet and was told I would need to speak to housekeeping. When the front desk asked to forward me to housekeeping, I mentioned that we were unable to get a hold of them directly throughout our entire stay, so I would rather she just get in touch with them for me if possible. I was advised that she would do so.

- Feb 6th: After not hearing from anyone for over a week, I called back to follow up. The front desk employee remembered my previous call and stated that she had reached out to housekeeping, but did not know the status. I was told that housekeeping had gone home for the day, but that she would have them follow up in the morning.

- Feb 7th: Housekeeping calls back! They have my wallet, and, presumably, have had it for 2 weeks now; but, they're willing to ship it to me, so that's great.

- Feb 11th: Another follow-up call to the Cove, as I haven't seen any shipping charged to my card as we had agreed, and considering the previous trouble, felt it necessary to be sure it had shipped. Unfortunately, the front desk cannot figure out if it was shipped or not. They have a tracking number for a shipment, but no idea who's shipment it is.

- Feb 12th: My wallet arrives!

While I appreciate that I received my left items and that they were able to ship them (which was certainly convenient), I do not understand how they could have someone's lost possessions for such a long time--especially credit cards and identification--and not make an attempt to get in touch.

The combination of the dirty room and the experiences with housekeeping will absolutely have me looking for different options next time I stay in Lake Geneva.

Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
Ryan M, Guest Relations Manager at Cove of Lake Geneva, responded to this reviewResponded 14 February 2014

I am very sorry about the troubles you faced while you were here at the Cove. I assure you that our new management team will fix these issues that you have pointed out to us. I apologize about the inconveniences that you were faced with, but I appreciate the fact that you have made us aware of the situation. My hope is that you will come back and give us another try.

Reviewed 12 February 2014

I found a great deal on Livin Social so my husband and I stayed at The Cove for two nights for our first anniversary. The stay was nice and cozy with the fireplace. The room was just average with its early 90s mauve and green decor, which was fine because we weren't there for a fancy experience. The room had a bad fishy smell when we arrived so we turned the ceiling fan on for awhile and cracked the sliding door, despite the frigid temperature and it went away. Everything else in the room was fine and they brought us a wine opener promptly. We enjoyed the resort and Sprecher's. When we left my husband mistakenly put a Cutco pairing knife I'd brought in the dishwasher and by the time I realized it, we were too far a away to go back. I also left a ring and pair of earrings on the table. I called three separate times, only to be told that housekeeping is in charge of lost and found and that they would call me the next day. They never did. I even spoke to a lady higher up and she apologized profusely that housekeeping hadn't called me back and swore they would call me the next day. Never happened. I finally let go of it and sent them an email through their website stating my disappointment and could only assume they stole my knife and jewelry for personal use, and that I didn't expect to get it back. Again, no response. I will never stay here again or recommend people to a place that is dishonest and doesn't follow through with communication. There's no excuse. Even if my items were gone, someone could've called me and let me know.

• Stayed: December 2013

I am very sorry to hear about your time here at the Cove. I wanted to let you know that we are under new management, and we apologize for any inconveniences that you have had in the past. I appreciate what you have brought to our attention and we will look to take care of that immediately. My hope is that you come back and stay with us again.

Reviewed 11 February 2014

Went to the cove for a night with friends for the night of Feb 8th. We stayed there about 5 years ago and loved the rooms and the hotel. We had high expectations due to our past experience and the price that we paid for the room. We arrived early and luckily because it was off season they were able to give us a room immediately. I believe the desk clerk's name was Ryan. He was absolutely wonderful. He gave us our key to the first room. We walked in and it was ugly. It was a pale washed out blue, the rug was blue. There were stains on the rug and the walls has many scratches and scuffs, there were cracked light shades as well as the couch seemed old and dated. Although I believe the room was cleaned it seemed dirty because of the color and condition. Although it was winter we walked onto the balcony and it was absolutely filthy. I called the front desk and Ryan answered. I asked him if we could change room. He did not hesitate and stated yes. I went to the front desk and he gave me a new key to a new room. Again he was nice and accommodating. We then went to the next room and when we opened the door a stench of rotten food came from the door. Housekeeping did not clean this room. It was disgusting. Food on the stove still, in the fridge. Bowls of food on the tables. Whoever was in this room and left it in the condition it was should be sent a bill. I called back to the front desk and spoke to Ryan regarding the condition of the second room. He again was accommodating and extremely helpful. This time he met us at our 3rd room with a key. When he arrived at the 3rd room he was extremely apologetic and stated he gave us a 10% discount due to the issues we were having. We entered our 3rd room and it was much nicer. We were in the room and wanted to put on the fireplace only to find out it did not work. We did not call downstairs to complain about this only because we were happy that we finally found a room. All in all, service was wonderful. The hotel itself is aged and dated and way too expensive for the type of rooms. Spend your money at The Mill Creek Hotel right next door is beautiful and up to date. The Harbor Shores on the other side of The Cove was also more up to date but the rooms are smaller and more like a hotel. I don't know if I will ever be back to The Cove, until they update.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank Mspms100
Ryan M, Guest Relations Manager at Cove of Lake Geneva, responded to this reviewResponded 12 February 2014

I am deeply sorry about the problems you had when you stayed here at the Cove. We are working hard on fixing the problems you have pointed out. Please feel free to contact me directly at any point, as I hope that you come and stay with us again at the Cove. I want to assure you that we are taking care of the problems you faced while you were here during your stay!

Reviewed 11 February 2014

We have stayed many times and had great luck! We always stay in room 451 and never have had a problem. Recently stayed and they have new (or what look like new) appliances, stove,oven, fridge and dishwasher. Very nice fireplace and seems clean, no stained furniture. The indoor pool could definately be kept at a higher temperature!!!! TOO COLD.

Room Tip: Only have stayed in 451 and never been disapointed.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank MPerco

I am very pleased that you had a great experience at the Cove. We deeply apologize about the Indoor pool not being up to the proper temperature. I appreciate the fact that you made us aware of the issue. We have taken care of the issue we had with our heater, and we hope that you are able to come and enjoy the indoor pool soon.

Reviewed 9 February 2014

This is my go -to place in Lake Geneva because of the spacious suite style rooms with fireplace, kitchen, table, couch, chair. Love it! Ordered room service for the first time from Sprechers and found it to be quick and quite good. Always clean and very friendly at the front desk. In the heart of the town but the lake and near everything you need. Love it!

Room Tip: Haven't had a bad one yet!
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends

We are ecstatic that you enjoyed your stay at the Cove. We hope that we see you again in the near future!

Reviewed 9 February 2014

Stayed at the cove was very unhappy with our stay the hallways have burnt out and broken lights The evlevators feel like they are going to brake down when your in them along with all the writing on the wall in them The room we stayed in was very out dated and had very dirty carpeting and no dishes The indoor pool was nice but the floor around the pool was very dirty over all nice location but needs alot of work not sure what other people see here

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank 827sandy

I deeply apologize about your experience here at the Cove. We assure you that we are working on the problems that you have addressed to us. Our staff works very hard at taking care of our guests, so we hope that the next time you are staying with us we are able to meet the high satisfaction level that we place on ourselves as associates of the Cove. We hope to see you soon!