“Family get away!”

Cove of Lake Geneva
Ranked #6 of 15 Hotels in Lake Geneva
Reviewed 3 March 2014

We always review our little get aways amongst ourselves, we always have a good time at the Cove. the location is perfect. Rooms are descent. Cmon, housekeeping cleans the rooms daily, i cant understand some of these reviews. Cant go wrong with Sprecher Pub on site. Bring the kids!

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank auroraillinois
Ryan M, Guest Relations Manager at Cove of Lake Geneva, responded to this reviewResponded 3 March 2014

I am happy to hear about your pleasant stay here at the Cove. I hope that you are able to come back during the summertime, so that the kids can enjoy the outdoor pools and the summer weather.

Reviewed 27 February 2014

Not that bad! At first I was very hesitant to book here. I had read the reviews and it didn't sound too good. But I went ahead and gave it a try, I stayed during winter fest. First this hotel has a great location, the rooms though need some updating, the room I stayed on had a look from the 90s, I didn't mind too much because it had all the amenities I needed. Could have used some more cooking utensils. I had the anchor suit and the bed was right by the door, so you could hear some noise. Restaurant sprecheers was great. I'll be back for those cheese curds. Overall this place has potential but needs some updating ASAP!
And something odd, They don't have breakfast, I wonder why I place this big wouldn't offer complementary breakfast??

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
Ryan M, Guest Relations Manager at Cove of Lake Geneva, responded to this reviewResponded 1 March 2014

Thank you for letting us know about your stay here at the Cove. I apologize about some of the different circumstances that you were faced with during your stay. Our goal is to continue to make the property a better place, and I can assure you we are working hard to do that. Unfortunately, we do not have a full service kitchen to serve breakfast in our hotel. We hope that you come back this summer and see some of the changes we will be making in the time being.

Reviewed 24 February 2014

Stayed here over this past weekend, Feb. 22, 2014; My wife and I were just looking for a close weekend getaway and Lake Geneva seemed ideal. Lake Geneva was wonderful, the Cove, not so much...First thing I noticed is that the bed was only about 1 foot from the entry door, then the bathroom, then a living area. So any sounds from the hallway were all the more closer. Odd layout, would have been better to have Bathroom, then bed, then living area. The bed itself was terrible, if I was too close to the edge, the mattress sagged down and left me lying on a side slope, luckily my wife still likes me enough and I could snuggle closer to the middle! We also had ants in the bathroom, in February! Not like we had the patio doors open...weird. And then the overall make up the room was very, very dissapointing. The sofa was very cheesey and cheap, as were all the other furnishings; early 90's garage sale if I'm not mistaken. This is Lake Geneva, not the Dells! The furnishings and attention to detail need to match the area and clientele. I do speak from experience, 15 years in hotel business as a Room Division Manager in San Francisco...sounds like they have some new management on hand; hopefully they are paying attention and know what they are getting into. Do it right and you have a license to print money, get it wrong and you will be short saleing the property in a very short time.

Room Tip: Go elsewhere?
1  Thank DarkStar6469
Ryan M, Guest Relations Manager at Cove of Lake Geneva, responded to this reviewResponded 27 February 2014

I wanted to apologize about the disappointing experience you had here at the Cove. Thank you for letting us know about the problems you were faced with while you were here. We are learning more about the property everyday, and what needs to be done in order for the Cove to become successful once again. I assure you that we will ameliorate the issues that you have dealt with, and I hope that you come back to see those changes we will make.

Reviewed 23 February 2014

We decided to give The Cove a second try after a less than desirable stay a number of years ago, hoping that things had improved. Unfortunately, they haven't. Last time there were no problems with the accommodations, but the property was very noisy and not conducive to a relaxed, romantic weekend. This time the property was quiet, but our room had several maintenance problems and a very unresponsive staff. The problems began when I wanted to make some coffee and discovered that the coffee pot was half of the size that the coffeemaker was designed to use. It seemed that at some point the original pot must have broken and it was replaced with a smaller pot. There were also no spoons for stirring coffee, eating cereal or anything else. I called the front desk to report the lack of spoons and was told that they would get us some to use. Three hours later on our way to dinner I checked with the front desk having not received the requested spoons. The person on duty had no record of my request anywhere. She called someone and after waiting several minutes with no one responding, I told her I would check back after dinner. On returning, she had no spoons to give us. She did find a few mismatched spoons and a handful of plastic spoons and said she would email the owner. We decided to watch a movie on the DVD player. There were three DVD players in the room and three remote controls, only one of which matched any equipment (the television). The other controls would no operate anything. All we could do was insert the DVD and play it using the play button on the DVD player. We had no other control for pausing, rewinding, etc. The next morning when we went to shower we found that the shower had a leak in one of its connections and it sprayed water all over the bathroom - ceiling, walls, counter, all of the towels, everything. There was also a leak in the sink faucet in the kitchen. We were told that the property had new owners and they were going unit by unit assessing what needed to be done. I suggested that they might want to assign guests to rooms that had already been checked and maintained instead of ones that obviously had not. It was obvious that the unit had not been properly maintained. In addition to the already mentioned problems, drawers in the dresser were stuck and difficult to open, the dishwasher racks were rusted, grout in the bathroom was stained, and the mattress was a very cheap pillow top if it was a pillow top at all. The accommodations suited our purpose and weren't horrible, but hardly lived up to their billing as "Southeast's Wisconsin's most extraordinary luxury all suite hotel."

Room Tip: Rooms on the first floor are quieter. Check the room out thoroughly before unpacking in case you ne...
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple

I am deeply sorry about your disappointing return to the Cove. I wanted to let you know that our maintenance team is working hard to fix the problems that you have mentioned. Being with the new management team, we are trying our best to make the Cove accommodating and relaxing once again. Even though this does not change the fact that you did not have a good stay, I hope that you come back this summer and give us another try.

Reviewed 23 February 2014

We have stayed here in the past - with an overall pleasant experience. This experience bar none has been the worst. We had a two room suite with a jaccuzzi tub, that did not work, had mold in the tub, and the jet area..The kitchen area although somewhat clean, had no dishwasher detergent, or a stopper for sink drain to attempt to wash the dishes.The dist on the plant shelves has to be an inch thick! I made an attempt to let the front desk be aware of the issues going on in my suite and the young lady at the front desk looked at me like I had a 3rd eye!!!! Attempted to tell me she was taking notes on the suite, when she wasn't taking one note -c'mon give me a break!! I could have stayed at any hotel had a better experience. This is a filthy hole!! The "new" management better take a good hard look at what in the world is going on here. No housekeeping service - shaky elevators - not one luggage cart to be found.

My husband and I had to put a sheet on the couch just prior to sitting on it. We also had a room upstairs, and the shower was filled with lime scale.

On to the pool area, stay out of the sauna, doesn't function one bit!!

The ONLY thing saving this place is location...stay away - it's a horrible experience. A great location gone to the dogs...I wouldn't even put my dog here.

Room Tip: Stay away go somewhere else...
1  Thank Chops0660

I apologize about your unpleasant stay here at the Cove. Our new management team has been here for the less than 30 days, and I appreciate you letting us know about the problems you were faced with, even though I know that does not change the unfortunate experience you had when you were here. Assessing each room is our top priority going forward, and I wanted to assure you that we will be fixing those issues in the near future. Again, I apologize about this, and if you would like to discuss more feel free to contact me.

Reviewed 23 February 2014

Do not book here. The up stairs bath is dirty with lime scale built up running down to the drain. There's only one spoon in the drawer and I am in a Bella loft suit. Fitting up to 8 people and yet provided with one spoon? The pillows are super small for a king size bed. Security has been our room twice now because apparently my 5 year old walks too heavy not sure how a child less than 50 lbs is so heavy? The jacuzzi tub is cracked. We received no clean towels and there was no maid to empty garbages or anything to clean. There is no dish soap for the dish washer. They Aldo have tube tvs. And only few cable channels. I have stayed at a ton if different places this us by far the worst one.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Hdizzy87

I want to personally say that I am sorry for the experience you had here at the Cove. I appreciate that you have made us aware of these problems, and they are being fixed as we speak. Going forward, we are going to take care of issues on a room-by-room basis, and this room will be one of them. I hope that you come back this summer and give us another opportunity, as you should see a major difference.

Reviewed 19 February 2014

Extremely dated property that has a lot of potential but needs some TLC. They need to remove the "luxury" from their name-- I've stayed at nicer budget hotels. It feels like time has stood still since the early 80s.

1  Thank Leah W
Ryan M, Guest Relations Manager at Cove of Lake Geneva, responded to this reviewResponded 21 February 2014

I am very sorry to hear about your experience here at the Cove. I appreciate the comments, as it gives us a better understanding of what we need to do going forward. I wanted to assure you that we are always striving to make the Cove a better place to stay for our guests. My hope is that you give us another try in the future!