“Another quiet night at the cove” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Cove of Lake Geneva

Cove of Lake Geneva
Ranked #10 of 15 Hotels in Lake Geneva
Wisconsin
“Another quiet night at the cove”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 March 2014

Overall my stay was nice once again here at the cove. A tip to my fellow travelers request a room by the woods, it's really quite. Staff was very accommodating like always. I been coming here for years and some rooms are indeed nicer than others, my only tip to them will be to update their condos. Will be back to enjoy the pools in the summer

Room Tip: woods view rooms are quiet and relaxing
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Ryan M, Guest Relations Manager at Cove of Lake Geneva, responded to this review, 15 March 2014
I am so glad to hear about your stay here at the Cove. We are concentrating the majority of our time and effort into making the Cove as guest friendly as possible. I am excited for warmer weather as well, and will enjoy seeing you on your return trip this summer.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (163)
Chicago, Illinois
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 March 2014

After booking on Hotwire, they added a hidden $12 "resort fee" to our bill when we showed up.
Sleazy hotel. The price they advertise and that you prepay blind on Hotwire (nonrefundable) is not the price they'll charge you for the room.

They didn't list any possible "resort fee" on Hotwire, as some hotels do. In short, they wouldn't rent us the room for the price they listed. And the Hotwire customer service supervisor said they don't monitor hotels' honesty; he also admitted that he doesn't use Hotwire to book his own vacations, and neither will I in the future. Hotwire refunded the $12 to our friends but not us, so this is a warning to anyone thinking about staying at the Cove or using Hotwire to book a hotel.

And by the way: it's not a resort by any stretch of the imagination. It's just a hotel.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank JohnChicago1
Ryan M, Guest Relations Manager at Cove of Lake Geneva, responded to this review, 14 March 2014
I am sorry to hear about your unpleasant experience here at the Cove. Also, I would like to apologize about the confusion with Hotwire. I hope that you give us an opportunity in the future to earn your trust and business back at the Cove. We are diligently working on fixing the issues at hand.

Travellers are raving about these Lake Geneva hotels

Elgin, Illinois
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 March 2014

I went to the Cove for a friend's bachelorette party. She had prepaid for the room and I had arrived about 10 minutes before she did. The gentleman at the front desk said that I could still check in, even though I am not the one who booked the room. He said that he would need a credit card as a just in case, implying that it was in case the person who booked the room claimed that she didn't know me. He then had me initial and sign a piece of paper for the room keys. I found out the next day that my credit card had been charged a "booking fee". When I called the hotel to inquire about the charge, I was transferred to Barb. She was not polite, she was actually kind of sarcastic and snooty. I was not told at any time that my card would be charged for anything, until after it was charged. When I explained this to Barb, she did not want to hear it. When I was explaining to her what the gentleman at the front desk had told me and suggested that she make sure her employees are correctly explaining everything to their guests, she hung up on me.

I then called my friend who booked the room and told her what happened. She said that she was never informed of a booking fee either.

The room was nice and I did enjoy myself. However, the fact that a charge to my card, when my name wasn't on the room, and nobody telling me that there would be a charge has left a sour taste in my mouth. The way Barb handled the situation only made things worse. I have no desire to stay at the Cove again and I will warn people how management treats their guests and they can decide whether or not to stay there.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
5 Thank Hevnly81
Ryan M, Guest Relations Manager at Cove of Lake Geneva, responded to this review, 7 March 2014
I am very sorry to hear about your experience here at the Cove. I appreciate that you have made me aware of the situation, as I can address that going forward. I can assure you we care about our customer satisfaction here at the Cove, and if you would like to discuss further please give me a call. My hope is that you can come back and give us another try and I would love the opportunity to make something work!
Aurora, Illinois
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 March 2014

We always review our little get aways amongst ourselves, we always have a good time at the Cove. the location is perfect. Rooms are descent. Cmon, housekeeping cleans the rooms daily, i cant understand some of these reviews. Cant go wrong with Sprecher Pub on site. Bring the kids!

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank auroraillinois
Ryan M, Guest Relations Manager at Cove of Lake Geneva, responded to this review, 3 March 2014
I am happy to hear about your pleasant stay here at the Cove. I hope that you are able to come back during the summertime, so that the kids can enjoy the outdoor pools and the summer weather.
Arlington Heights, Illinois
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 February 2014

Not that bad! At first I was very hesitant to book here. I had read the reviews and it didn't sound too good. But I went ahead and gave it a try, I stayed during winter fest. First this hotel has a great location, the rooms though need some updating, the room I stayed on had a look from the 90s, I didn't mind too much because it had all the amenities I needed. Could have used some more cooking utensils. I had the anchor suit and the bed was right by the door, so you could hear some noise. Restaurant sprecheers was great. I'll be back for those cheese curds. Overall this place has potential but needs some updating ASAP!
And something odd, They don't have breakfast, I wonder why I place this big wouldn't offer complementary breakfast??

• 5 of 5 bubbles
Ryan M, Guest Relations Manager at Cove of Lake Geneva, responded to this review, 1 March 2014
Thank you for letting us know about your stay here at the Cove. I apologize about some of the different circumstances that you were faced with during your stay. Our goal is to continue to make the property a better place, and I can assure you we are working hard to do that. Unfortunately, we do not have a full service kitchen to serve breakfast in our hotel. We hope that you come back this summer and see some of the changes we will be making in the time being.
Madison, Wisconsin
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 February 2014

Stayed here over this past weekend, Feb. 22, 2014; My wife and I were just looking for a close weekend getaway and Lake Geneva seemed ideal. Lake Geneva was wonderful, the Cove, not so much...First thing I noticed is that the bed was only about 1 foot from the entry door, then the bathroom, then a living area. So any sounds from the hallway were all the more closer. Odd layout, would have been better to have Bathroom, then bed, then living area. The bed itself was terrible, if I was too close to the edge, the mattress sagged down and left me lying on a side slope, luckily my wife still likes me enough and I could snuggle closer to the middle! We also had ants in the bathroom, in February! Not like we had the patio doors open...weird. And then the overall make up the room was very, very dissapointing. The sofa was very cheesey and cheap, as were all the other furnishings; early 90's garage sale if I'm not mistaken. This is Lake Geneva, not the Dells! The furnishings and attention to detail need to match the area and clientele. I do speak from experience, 15 years in hotel business as a Room Division Manager in San Francisco...sounds like they have some new management on hand; hopefully they are paying attention and know what they are getting into. Do it right and you have a license to print money, get it wrong and you will be short saleing the property in a very short time.

Room Tip: Go elsewhere?
1 Thank DarkStar6469
Ryan M, Guest Relations Manager at Cove of Lake Geneva, responded to this review, 27 February 2014
I wanted to apologize about the disappointing experience you had here at the Cove. Thank you for letting us know about the problems you were faced with while you were here. We are learning more about the property everyday, and what needs to be done in order for the Cove to become successful once again. I assure you that we will ameliorate the issues that you have dealt with, and I hope that you come back to see those changes we will make.
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 February 2014

We decided to give The Cove a second try after a less than desirable stay a number of years ago, hoping that things had improved. Unfortunately, they haven't. Last time there were no problems with the accommodations, but the property was very noisy and not conducive to a relaxed, romantic weekend. This time the property was quiet, but our room had several maintenance problems and a very unresponsive staff. The problems began when I wanted to make some coffee and discovered that the coffee pot was half of the size that the coffeemaker was designed to use. It seemed that at some point the original pot must have broken and it was replaced with a smaller pot. There were also no spoons for stirring coffee, eating cereal or anything else. I called the front desk to report the lack of spoons and was told that they would get us some to use. Three hours later on our way to dinner I checked with the front desk having not received the requested spoons. The person on duty had no record of my request anywhere. She called someone and after waiting several minutes with no one responding, I told her I would check back after dinner. On returning, she had no spoons to give us. She did find a few mismatched spoons and a handful of plastic spoons and said she would email the owner. We decided to watch a movie on the DVD player. There were three DVD players in the room and three remote controls, only one of which matched any equipment (the television). The other controls would no operate anything. All we could do was insert the DVD and play it using the play button on the DVD player. We had no other control for pausing, rewinding, etc. The next morning when we went to shower we found that the shower had a leak in one of its connections and it sprayed water all over the bathroom - ceiling, walls, counter, all of the towels, everything. There was also a leak in the sink faucet in the kitchen. We were told that the property had new owners and they were going unit by unit assessing what needed to be done. I suggested that they might want to assign guests to rooms that had already been checked and maintained instead of ones that obviously had not. It was obvious that the unit had not been properly maintained. In addition to the already mentioned problems, drawers in the dresser were stuck and difficult to open, the dishwasher racks were rusted, grout in the bathroom was stained, and the mattress was a very cheap pillow top if it was a pillow top at all. The accommodations suited our purpose and weren't horrible, but hardly lived up to their billing as "Southeast's Wisconsin's most extraordinary luxury all suite hotel."

Room Tip: Rooms on the first floor are quieter. Check the room out thoroughly before unpacking in case you ne...
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
I am deeply sorry about your disappointing return to the Cove. I wanted to let you know that our maintenance team is working hard to fix the problems that you have mentioned. Being with the new management team, we are trying our best to make the Cove accommodating and relaxing once again. Even though this does not change the fact that you did not have a good stay, I hope that you come back this summer and give us another try.