“So disappointed” 1 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #10 of 15 Hotels in Lake Geneva
Frankfort, Illinois
“So disappointed”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 August 2014

I wish I would've done more research before booking at The Cove. While my time in Lake Geneva was very nice, my stay at the Cove left much to be desired. When driving into the parking lot we were "greeted" by a parking attendant. This young guy was not friendly at all. We noticed a large carnival was set up a stone's throw from the hotel. Awesome. We booked a basic room with a king size bed. The front desk staff were very friendly. Turns out our room was on the complete other side of the property. We walked down and around several hallways. They were dark, dreary and vacant. Seriously, it was about a 5 minute walk and we never saw another person the whole stay. We never saw anyone else in our hall except the workers who went in and out of their work room which was located directly across from our room. So while we never saw another traveler, we were placed directly across from a very high traffic room for the staff. The hallways were creepy. I would've been nervous by myself. Our room was big but as other reviewers stated, our bed was about a foot from the door. The tv was an old tube tv and the bedroom area was dark and strange. We said it reminded us of a hostel. The electric plugs by our bed didn't work. Therefor the alarm clock didn't work and we couldn't plug our phones in near the bed, so we had no idea what time it was. With the bed so close to the door, we heard the workers in the hallway constantly. They were doing their job but they were loud. There was a wall, large bathroom and kitchen between the bed and the air conditioner. It got hot because the air had a hard time reaching us. I turned it up as high as it would go. I'm an early riser and my husband is not. I went into the sitting area to read in the morning and was freezing!!!! I gave up and hung out in the bathroom for the morning to stay warm. I will say the pools were nice and big and clearly Awesome for families and kids. I don't know if you can do anything about it, but there were tons of flies outside and even inside by the indoor pool. These flies bite. So while the pools were nice (minus the hot tub....basically a warm bath with weak jets) the flies were crazy. Sprechers on site was a nice bonus.

Pros: close proximity to lake and downtown
- checked in early
- Sprechers
- nice big pools
- hot, strong shower
- nice staff

Cons: needs a major renovation
- poor room layout
- bedding was old and scratchy
- crappy TV
- large carnival right outside
- unfriendly parking attendant
- room was in a very dark and desolate part of the hotel, made me uncomfortable
- electric plugs near bed didn't work

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
tbaior, General Manager at Cove of Lake Geneva, responded to this review, 19 August 2014
SarahT, Thank you for sharing your experience at the Cove. I'm sorry we didn't meet your expectations. We hope you give us another try in the future. Perhaps you could request a room near the lobby. Todd

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (163)
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 August 2014

The place was better than I had expected. Everyone was super friendly, the location was supurb, the rooms were clean and sooo much fun. I went for a weekend out of town with my girlfriend and we hardly wanted to even leave the resort! There was just so much to offer, beautiful room with a patio, hot tub, fire place and a super comfy bed, excellent room service and an AMAZING pool. I highly recommend this place to anyone who travels to LG.

Room Tip: Get the coffee at the bar in the am...super tasty Check out the pool
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
      Sleep Quality
      Cleanliness
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
tbaior, General Manager at Cove of Lake Geneva, responded to this review, 14 August 2014
Sam S, Thank you for taking the time to share your recent experience at the Cove. We're glad you enjoyed your stay and enjoyed the Colectivo coffee! We hope to see you again soon, Todd
Wheaton, Illinois
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 August 2014

I rarely, if EVER, write reviews but after months of saving to go to this place, I feel I have to at least offer my experience to others in the same boat (no pun intended).

This place gets one star only because, although not helpful, the staff was nice. We just came home a day early from the Cove because no one in our family could stand the thought of staying there one more night. When you peruse their website, everything looks clean, up to date and lovely with a beach just "steps away". This is touted as a "exclusive site" and they use the word "luxury". Our experience was anything but this. We arrived at check in time and waited in line for 15 minutes. We went to our rooms, opened the door and were stunned. It smelled moldy and "off". The furniture was old, torn and the couch had NO support left in it. The balcony was dirty and full of cobwebs and the door only worked sometims. The lighting was dismal, even with every light on. The bathrooms were okay but very, very dated and average. I have had MUCH better suites, for half the price on in the exclusive districts of Chicago. There was nothing about this facility that was worth the amount of money we were charged.

So, we have never been to Lake Geneva before and we rushed to our rooms to change into our suits and head to the beach only "steps away". Well, we went out and walked to the lake, no beach. So we had to walk back to the hotel, wait in line and ask where it was, explaining we were new to the area. She pulled out a map (I didn't realize then that I should have asked for one--one would think they would be given to you at check in), showed me the beach an moved on to another customer. Well, we walked the two blocks to the beach and then realized when we arrived that you had to pay for it. I would think this information should have been given to us, especially since I was very clear we had no clue and were new to the area.

Then, my son forgot his toothbrush. We went down to the desk. They had all kinds of toiletries to purchase (nothing! was complimentary) but NO toothbrush??

I am just sick at the money we spent for this run down (dirty, stained carpets, moldy smell) place. I can never get that back. Please use caution when using this hotel.
The staff is not helpful and the place needs a major overhaul to even remotely use the terms exclusive and luxury.

Room Tip: I would NEVER book here without asking for pictures of the actual room you would be renting. This i...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
      Sleep Quality
1 Thank csswit
tbaior, General Manager at Cove of Lake Geneva, responded to this review, 9 August 2014
Thank you for sharing your comments. Todd

Travellers are raving about these Lake Geneva hotels

Palatine, IL
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 August 2014

The location of this place is awesome. You can walk everywhere! We have been to LG twice and much preferred this location that was right in town. But, otherwise, the quality of the place is more like a holiday inn... just level set your expectations and try to get a groupon or something to offset the cost. We paid full price in late June and it was way too high. Understand that they have a short season for tourism, but whoa... never will pay that much again. We had a Dover Suite. I had called in advance for a recently renovated room after reading the other reviews. I could tell that some things in the room had been updated, but not that amazing. But, wasn't awful either- it was just ok. My biggest complaint is check out time. They have a limited number of bell-hop carts, but everyone in this huge place is checking out at the same time. If you aren't out on time, they charge you a late fee. We couldn't get a cart- even after calling multiple times and searching for them. We have two young children and had a lot of gear (stroller, pack n play, etc)- My husband did about 14 trips to the car- running... to try to get us out in time. We finally got out just as they were making rounds to make sure everyone was out of their rooms on our floor- whew... because I didn't want to give them any more money! Pool is nice... restaurant was just so-so. Parking can be an issue during peak months- we were never able to get a spot close to our room. Plan in advance for the checkout and start early, and level set your expectations... "luxury" is an over statement on this place, but it is not a crappy place either. The space in our suite was perfect. Great to have the room and the kitchen. I'd stay there again, but only on a groupon.

Room Tip: Call in advance for a recently renovated room.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Estone, Thanks for sharing your comments regarding your recent stay. I'm sorry that you were unable to obtain a bell cart at time of checkout. You may be pleased to know we just added 3 additional carts within the last few days. We hope to see you again in the future. Todd
Punta Cana
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 August 2014

My best friend, two young adults, and myself, just spent a tremendous fun weekend at The Cove. Our stay was from Thursday, July 24th until Monday, the 28th. This was the 2nd time we have booked there, and enjoyed it so much, that we have already booked for next year. The place is terrific with outdoor pool, and is in a great location close to shops, other restaurants, and just across the street from the beach. I would recommend The Cove to anyone !!
Thank you for a great stay !!!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
tbaior, General Manager at Cove of Lake Geneva, responded to this review, 7 August 2014
Richard D, It was our pleasure. We look forward to your next stay with us! Todd
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2014

Great place to take your whole family great for kids the rooms are fully furnished kitchens loft bedroom attached to the hotel is a restaurant with a good app menu micro brewery inside also then you have downtown lake geneva with all kinds of restaurants and kool shops then outside close to the hotel is all kinds of recreational things to do also there is the lake itself with a beach you can walk to from the hotel also there are 3 swimming pools at the hotel including a kids pool area the staff is so so friendly and courtesy is awesome i would reccommend this place in a second to anyone look on groupon for good deals throught the year

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Carl Z
Carl Z, We're glad your family enjoyed their time at the Cove. It's nice to have a full kitchen at your convenience with kids on board. We look forward to seeing your whole family again soon. Todd
highland park,il
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2014

Recently stayed at the cove for three nites. We had the two bedroom suite. It had a little patio overlooking the pool. The staff is wonderful. The pool side bar is a nice touch. Music poolside. Dj on the week ends in the afternoon. Great kids pool!
Our unit was nice. Nothing out of this world but , very clean and well equipped kitchen for cooking.
Three t.vs which was really nice too.
We will be back !!

Room Tip: Ask for a room clost to the lobby. Some of the rooms are far far away
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
      Location
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Shelly, Thank you for taking the time to share your recent Cove stay. We are glad that you enjoyed your stay with us. We look forward to seeing you soon. Todd