“Very nice getaway”

Ranked #2 of 11 Lake Geneva B&B and Inns
Sterling, Illinois
“Very nice getaway”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2014

An overnight stay at the Lazy Cloud Inn near Lake Geneva proved to be very enjoyable. Starry Nights room was nice, deck was large and we spent most of our time there watching squirrels, chipmunks and birds. We were able to enjoy the fireplace a bit on a cool morning, and the muffins, oj and coffee for breakfast were perfect for us. Friendly staff and a reasonable price for what you get; we will visit again.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank John_M703

Families
Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
Winfield, Illinois
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 August 2014

We stayed 2 nights in the Brookside Suite. It was clean and spacious, and well stocked with everything we needed for a anniversary weekend without the kids. There were books and games that we passed the time with and enjoyed the hot tub complete with bubble bath and candles. The tub was plenty big for the 2 of us. The caramel apple pie that was left as a welcome snack was delicious, as were the chocolates left each night on the pillows. The breakfast was muffins, cinna-minis and juice left in the fridge. Even though it was not a hot or full breakfast, it was yummy and certainly enough food to get us thru til lunch. The CD player was a nice touch, but the CDs should be updated. The one we chose to listen to was scratched and skipped. The location is not on the lake, nor within walking distance of anything, but was a short drive to either down town Geneva or Fontana. Couple of downsides to the Brookside: it is a first floor unit with another unit above it, and the weekend we were there, the couple above us seemed to be clomping around at all hours. Also the unit was a little damp, but that may be due to the very wet summer we are having.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Knoxville TN
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 July 2014

My husband and I were looking for a romantic way to celebrate our first anniversary and found ourselves at the Lazy Cloud Inn. First, everyone there is friendly. This, in itself, is a big change from some places where we've stayed! We found that each room is individually decorated with it's own theme - our room having the feel of a bona-fide cabin in the woods. THIS cabin, however, had a gas fireplace, jacuzzi for two, candles and breakfast in the refrigerator! It also had books, bubble bath and a thousand other little personal touches that made for a wonderful stay and a memorable anniversary! The grounds are peaceful, beautiful, serene...The rooms warm, inviting and friendly...The location; far enough from town to relax but close enough for shopping, eating and riding boats....I want to go back right now! We really enjoyed our short stay at Lazy Cloud and would recommend it to anyone else - but especially for lovers!

Room Tip: Look at the rooms online and ask about them....
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
jgal80
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 June 2014

We absolutely love this inn! It may cost a little more but you get what you pay for. All of the employees are super friendly and the suites are amazing! The little extras make it even more special. We stayed 2 nights and even had a TV in the suite which got very little use as the quiet was just wonderful! We did the appetizer basket and aldo the picnic with ham and turkey. The food was amazing and it is true the cheesecake really is to die for! I am already looking
forward to the next time we can go to this wonderful get away!

• Stayed June 2014
1 Thank jgal80
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 June 2014

Very romantic get away within driving distance from Chicago. there are several 'themes' to choose from so be sure to explore your choices on the website. We have stayed in a few different rooms at different times in the last couple of years. Each room is clean, has a hot tub and a fireplace. An added bonus is a private patio. We have been many times and will go again. Lake Geneva activities and restaurants are nearby as well

Room Tip: All rooms are special in there own way. be sure to view photos on website before choosing
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank fancypants2014
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 June 2014

occasionally I get a slight hankering to go back there, but then I remember how the beds were too stiff, and how you can only fill your time taking so many baths and sitting in front of a fireplace before you want to pull your hair out. I think my experience was marred with the fact that I was the one who had planned/booked it and my husband seemed to be tagging along, so there was a bit of dismay already, simply due to relationship issues. (I did not rate the place based on my relationship issues during my stay)

however with that said, I get the "no distractions", (no phone, no TV) they had a radio and a nice collection of romantic music, but I think it would have been nice if they had a small TV with maybe some romantic movies. Casablanca, my fair lady, 50 first dates, etc. and about the beds, I've been equated to a "princess and the pea" sort of girl. it has to be super soft and super comfy if I even feel a wrinkle in the sheet beneath me it bothers me to the point that I have to get up and make the bed. (I know you are thinking I'm OCD but honestly I am actually pretty chill about 98% of everything, its just a weird thing for me that I have to have the bed perfect or else I can't sleep) my husband on the other hand could sleep on a rock and be perfectly fine. so I'm rating it to my taste because I am being honest, but just wanted to throw that in there as a disclaimer that probably the average person will have little to no problems with the firm rock-like mattresses at this place.

aside from that I really enjoyed the room, it was cozy and felt like a little cabin.

Room Tip: we stayed in stone grotto, it was more secluded and away from the main rooms.
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Audra82
LakeGenevaLady, Owner at Lazy Cloud Inn, responded to this review, 5 June 2014
We are so delighted that we a strong enough impression on you, that you submitted a reply after having visited us nearly a year ago.

Romance, focusing on each other, spending time alone with the one you love is what we are all about and for many, many, many couples Lazy Cloud is an oasis to them. It effectively removes them from the noise, the hustle bustle of the "real" world, as well as all the daily distractions that have our mind racing from one chore or task to the other.

Lazy Cloud is a place where everything gets dialed way down, so that the only thing you have to worry about is focusing on is each other. However as you mentioned in your review, if there is conflict before you arrive, (even if it is a minor conflict) the peace, serenity and stillness that we offer is going to seem almost overwhelming and even, dare we say it,.....a bit boring at times.

For the majority of our couples they relish this stillness and serenity but we thoroughly understand why it may have seemed a bit much to you....however being so close to Lake Geneva, there is always sight seeing, shopping and of course eating at one of our many great restaurants in the area to avail yourselves.

Now we can't do much about how you sleep, BUT we can share that we have had some couples visit us, where one of them has had a back issue and is incredibly particular about the mattress and how they will sleep. Usually if it is convenient and they are in the area, they stop and take a tour and try out the different beds and see which one is more comfortable for them.

Usually between 1 p.m. and 3 p.m. the rooms that are available for the evening, can be shown to guests and you can "try" out the mattress by lying down on it for a moment or two. It looks like you are in Milwaukee, so you should plan a day, come visit us and see if there is a mattress that is more comfortable for you.

Guess what? we do have 2 traveling TV's that have a DVD player with them.....they are shared between the suites in the cottage where you stayed and the B&B. Did you notice the wall of movies to the right as you checked in, located inside the office for the Inn? There are several romantic movies that you can take to your suite to watch on the traveling TV.

We also do offer free Wi-Fi, and since most of us seem to rarely travel without some sort of tablet, notebook or laptop, many guests take advantage of the Wi-Fi to watch or listen to music or stream movies they have in their queue.

We definitely hope you will come back and visit us, and try us out again!
Hanover Park, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 February 2014

We loved this place, my husband and I stay here for two nights for our anniversary and it was perfect !

First night we had a little issue with the fire alarm going off but nothing big it got fixed right away, and I'm glad they have those, otherwise we wouldn't had woken up the next morning because of the carbon monoxide !

I highly recommend you get their picnic basket, we got the ribs and they were delicious, plenty of food for 2 people and for 2 days !

Over all we had a great getaway weekend and anniversary, the staff is great they think of everything, house keeping does a good job, and I'm so sorry to say that I forgot to leave them a tip, they really deserve it !

Great place I highly recommend it, we will come back !

• Stayed February 2014
2 Thank YadiYe
LakeGenevaLady, Owner at Lazy Cloud Inn, responded to this review, 25 February 2014
We are so glad you visited with us, and had a great time. We do our very best to make each and every guest who visits feel as if they are the only guest we have.

As for that unfortunate alarm going off, although again, Thank Goodness for alarms going off, we traced it back to a fireplace flue that had somehow gotten closed; which is why the detector went off.

I can't recall a single time in the past that that has happened, with the alarm going off. While we certainly hated the fact that you were disturbed by that shrill alarm, we are also so relieved that the safety systems we have in place, do the job they were intended to do.

(As a side note, Tony the head of maintenance did come in and air out the room as well as open the patio doors, and even installed a brand new CO2 detector.)

We couldn't agree with you more on the fact that the picnic basket is both delicious and really does provide enough food for more than one day. What did you think of the honey butter? Our homemade honey butter on that fresh baked loaf of bread is to die for, isn't it???

Again, we are so glad you came and stayed with us and we are looking forward to you visiting with us again, where we promise you won't have any alarms, bells or whistles going off during your stay.