Fargo Mansion Inin
US$88
US$66
US$89
Hotels.com
All reviewsb bslovely victorianvictorian eraglacial drumlinstate parkrock lakeother guestswoodworkhostsrestoringgristbrewerymadisonelijah
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 11 November 2013

Our experience was certainly much more enjoyable than the other review on the Fargo Mansion.
We stayed a few days before Halloween and had a very nice experience. Everything was as promised and expected. The owners were very friendly and obviously leaders of the community. They shared fascinating stories of the Mansion's history as well as their many business involvements. The breakfasts were delicious, on time, and prepared by the owner. Our room and the public areas of the house were very clean and comfortable. The bar set up had coke, pepsi, and name brand liquor including Dewar's White Label. In short everything we could expect was delivered. It was the most at home I have felt in a B&B in the States- some in Scotland were similar.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Jim B
Reviewed 15 October 2013

I'm glad Trip Advisor asked me to rate another business in Lake Mills, Wisconsin. I would like to save anyone from a nightmare who is even considering staying at the Fargo Mansion Inn. The inn was recommended to me by another innkeeper who was new in the business, so I hope they don't recommend it to anyone else, lest they ruin their own reputation. This is quite possibly the worst, dirtiest, grossest place we have ever stayed!

We were down to no choices...literally. We were attending a family function in Wisconsin, and of all things it was Labor Day weekend AND the 110th Harley Davidson Anniversary weekend, so needless to say, there were no rooms in a 50 mile radius of our location. The innkeeper at this inn told us we got the last room because he was booked. Odd..we didn't see anyone else during our stay except some guy walking through the lobby with no shoes on. We did see another couple of women arrive late that night, but I don't believe they stayed. They probably took one look at the place and high-tailed it out of there.

When we arrived at the inn, the entrace was poorly marked and the parking was as well, so we found a place to park the car, walked up to the porch (which was in dire need of repair), and looked for the front door...we should have known right then that there would be a problem. It was a VERY HOT day, and when we walked inside, it was a sweltering 90 degrees in the lobby. The owner came to greet us, and showed us around a bit. He informed us he would not be staying after breakfast the next morning as the Badgers game was the same day so he would leave the breakfast dishes on the table. He showed us to a makeshift beverage area where we could find generic cans of pop, water, and half used 2-liter bottles of flat soda that looked like he had pulled them from his own fridge.

When we were shown to our room we were relieved to find that it was air conditioned, but it was a window air conditioner mounted in absolutely filthy windows, some being broken and repaired with plexi-glass and permatec. I wrote "wash me" on one of the windows. It was gross. The upholstery on the furniture was literally shredded and falling apart, the sheets on the bed looked like they came from Walmart about 10 years ago, and there was duct tape patches all over the walls. There was a curtain behind the nightstand, and when I pulled it back it was covering a small alcove with giant patches of duct tape and a pile of dead bugs in the corner!

Our bath amenities couldn't be compared to any we had ever had at a B&B before. We had a Walmart hand soap at the sink (where there were also knobs to the drain missing), a half-used bottle of generic bath wash, and bath robes with coffee stains all over them, YUCK! I didn't even think about crawling into the tub!

Had I not been totally exhausted before we even started the trip, and even more so after the 11-hour drive, and knowing there would be no rooms anywhere else, we would not have stayed. I was so tired that night that I didn't inspect the room until the next morning. Ahhh, the next morning...

Our breakfast was cooked by some other man that was a friend of the owner. Yep, the owner wasn't even there...he went to the Badgers game and left us in someone else's hands. We had scrambled eggs, some awful sausage, plain bagels with cream cheese spread that had been dug into by someone else and served to us in the store-bought container, there were brown things floating in the creamer pitcher, and warm orange juice. Ughhh!

Our plan at this point was to get up the next morning (yes, we had to stay two days), and get the heck out of there by 7:30am. We packed our bags, only after I killed a giant millipede on the floor by the bed. Oh yes, we noticed that there was no cover over the heating vent, so the bug probably crawled right up from the basement. I forgot to mention that the key to our room was a skeleton key, like no one could get into our room, right!

We've never left a B&B this early in the morning... ever. This was the most horrible experience! We are WAY TOO nice, so we didn't say anything to the owner, but it wasn't as if he could make any of this right.

Warning - if you look this place up on the web, you might come across a sight that says this place is closed. Well, from the looks of the place, it probably is. It was dusty, dirty, and smelly. If I had to guess, I would say that if anyone is foolish enough - like us - to call them for a room, the owners probably thing "what the heck, we'll rent them one and make a few bucks." The clincher to it all was the owner is supposed to be the head of the Wisconsin B&B Association!

Don't stay here.

Room Tip: Don't even consider staying here!
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple