“Northwoods Relaxation”
Review of Gateway Lodge

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Land O' Lakes
Gateway Lodge
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Land O' Lakes
Fond du Lac, Wisconsin
“Northwoods Relaxation”
Reviewed 25 August 2011

Gateway Lodge is a jewel in the Northwoods. With an 18 hole golf course and a gun club there's plenty to do right on the property. The gun club features 4 traps and a sporting clays course and is open daily from 10 to 3. You can also get instruction and rent a gun if you wish. The pool and hot tub are in a separate building just a few feet from the lodge.
Built in 1938, Gateway provides a wonderful rustic atmosphere with it's log and beam construction. The Greatroom features a huge natural stone fireplace with couches and easy chairs and tables and contains many trophy mounts of game animals including full size black bears and a polar bear. There is also a great restaurant and lounge on site.
The room rates are very reasonable and we found the property to always be clean and well maintained. There is also a friendly staff on duty 24/7.
This was our third stay and we will be coming back again next summer.

Room Tip: Some of the beds can be a little hard.
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank tjy2k00

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
Appleton, Wisconsin
Reviewed 24 August 2011

Our family , 22 of us , ranging in age from 2 yrs to 76 yrs ,vacationing in the Lando area, didn't stay at the lodge, but had dinner recently during the week at Gateway restaurant. We talked with the manager a couple days ahead to see if if was appropriate to bring children. He asked us to call a day in advance, to let him know how many children , how many would have the "all you can eat shrimp special", and how many would order of f the menu, so he would schedule extra help to accommodate our group.
We had 5 :30 reservation.. WE were seated immediately apon arrival., and I mentioned to the manager that .I was concerned that I didn't want the children to disturb the other guests. He responded not to worry ,that they would take all the orders, and serve the children first, so the parents could help the kids, and then bring the adult orders immediatly following. This worked out great for our group. The waite staff was good, the food was hot and moderately priced. After the children and a few of the adults were finished eating, we took the little kids to the lobby where they enjoyed all the animals on display. while their parents finished their dinner.
It will be a year before we get back to Lando again, but I know we'll have dinner at Gate way restaurant.

Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank Margaret B
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 28 July 2011

From the moment we pulled in the parking lot, I wanted to turn around and run the other way. Due to the fact that we were in town for a family obligation, there was no time to drive into the town of Eagle River to find another hotel. We were only staying one night and that was WAY too much time at this awful place. From the moment we stepped into the lobby I could smell the old musty stench of mold everywhere. When we finally did get to our room, I did not even want to open my bags for fear that something might crawl into them. We found bugs in our room and the bathroom was utterly DISGUSTING! Every time I went to use the washroom I felt as though I might fall through the floor. The floor was rotten because of mold and the toilet was literally tipping over!! I am told that each room is a privately owned condo, so if you are going to stay at this place (which i HIGHLY recommend that you do not do) I would take a look at the place at the time of check-in to be sure this is where you want to stay. As for me, I will NEVER return.

Room Tip: Do not stay here!!
  • Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple
3 Thank JJK1228
Alpena
Reviewed 27 July 2011

The motel was awesome! Excellent service. Rustic, but far from primitive. Fabulous food in their restaurant! Quiet. Wonderful shower with lots of pressure and hot water! Super comfortable bed. We felt the suite was a super value. We're already planning our return trip.

Room Tip: Second floor was very quiet with no sounds from overhead or the hall.
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
Liberty Twp OH
Reviewed 29 June 2011

This Lodge was wonderful. The staff wonderful and the room was excellent. There is a great restaurant in the lodge plus breakfast in the lobby. We only wish we could have stayed longer we were only passing through. I would highly recommend Gateway Lodge.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
Bryce Canyon City, Utah
Reviewed 16 February 2011

Both the hotel and restaurant were very nice indeed. We stayed for 3 nights and were impressed by the room (a suite with full kitchenette and a very comfortable bed), restaurant, and bar. For the price (under $80 including tax and breakfast, midweek, off-season), this is a real find!

I noted some very strong recent complaints in Tripadvisor about the restaurant. It is under completely new management, with a new chef who is very talented, hot food and plates, and prompt service. Very good food and service for the price. Like the hotel, I highly recommend it.

Friendly bar.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank alanxfox
Racine, Wisconsin
Reviewed 14 February 2011

too loud for me went to bed fri and sat nights to be woke up on both nights by loud people upstrairs and kids running up and down the hallways till at least midnight. P.S. the pearch was not good

• Stayed February 2011, travelled as a couple
#4 of 12 in Eagle River
Hiawatha Lodge Inn
Hiawatha Lodge Inn
#3 of 12 in Eagle River

Been to Gateway Lodge? Share your experiences!