“Paradise Found”

Hotel Punta Islita, Autograph Collection
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Punta Islita
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 10 June 2013

My wife and I made this the last stop during our week long trip to Costa Rica. This is one of the most amazing places I have ever been to. Everything is five star, from check in to check out. The views are spectacular and the seclusion of the resort make it incredibly peaceful. We have traveled to many five star locations around the world and this is easily our favorite.

Room Tip: We stayed in room 22. Ask for the Honey moon suite to get the best sweeping views.
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
MariaJBIslita, Outreach Manager at Hotel Punta Islita, Autograph Collection, responded to this reviewResponded 24 June 2013

Thrilled to read your wonderful review! We are delighted to have had a chance to be your hosts while in Costa Rica. Thank you so much for sharing your experience with the Trip Advisor community!

Reviewed 5 June 2013

I went with my wife and 8 month old son and it was a great place to stay. This hotel is definitely off the beaten path. The hotel arranged for us to be picked up from SJO and it was about a 4 hour drive to the hotel. The last few miles are particularly rough and require fording a small river.

The service at this hotel is unmatched in my experience. One example is one night we were having dinner at 7 or so and my son fell asleep in my arms and our waiter created a makeshift crib out of 2 chairs and some towels next to our table.

Our room felt very private and had a great view. Each casita is a small separate detached building. It is a few flights of stairs up to the reservation desk and main restaurant. There was a decent storm one night and we lost power for a few hours, but we were already going to bed so it wasn't an inconvenience to us.

The whole hotel feels very private as well. We were there in late May and we heard there was about 65 guests at the hotel, but we never saw more than 10 other people at a time, either at the beach or restaurants.

I would say the biggest knock on the hotel is that the room regularly has bugs coming to visit. There isn't much that can be done to combat this based on the being so close to nature. We never had any problems with the bugs biting us.

When we left to go home the hotel also arranged for our transfer to the nearby "airport" that Nature Air services.

Room Tip: We had casita 207, which was nice. I would probably selection 204 or 205 for instance that had grass...
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family

Thank you so much for letting us be your partners in creating a special experience for your family. I sincerely appreciate your post and certainly share your enthusiasm about our staff. They are an incredible team of caring individuals. Their hospitality is heartfelt, drawn out of sincere friendship. Thanks for acknowledging them! Warmest regards :)

Reviewed 24 May 2013

Our first trip to CR and we spent our last 3 days there. The staff was fantastic from the initial pickup at the "airport" to our departure. The scenery and setting is really perfect, reminiscent of the Mauna Kea setting on the Kona coast. The casitas are very nice; private and great views. The restaurant has a wonderful chef and we enjoyed each evening's specials. The presence of the "howler" monkeys and the AVA Macaw reintroduction program provides some inspired wildlife. The 9 hole executive golf course looks easy, but the rough makes it pretty challenging for even good golfers [the 7 handicap lost 3 of 4 balls by hole 3--I did the same and did not feel so bad]. Wife gave great report on the spa. Just good folks, who live in and support a small community. Very eco conscious. They made us very welcome.

Room Tip: The casitas are very nice; but from what I saw all the rooms have spectacular views of the ocean. I...
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank plhughes
MariaJBIslita, Outreach Manager at Hotel Punta Islita, Autograph Collection, responded to this reviewResponded 28 May 2013

Wonderful, thoughtful review! Thank you so much for taking the time to provide us with feedback. I m delighted to learn that you and your wife enjoyed your stay so much. Thanks for letting us introduce you to Costa Rica's wonders. Feeling the impressive guttural roar of the howler monkey and marveling at the Macaw's colorful flight are some of my favorite Hotel Punta Islita experiences. Please return very soon!

Reviewed 23 May 2013

Puntal islita is one of the nicest place i ever had the chance to be....
The entire resort is incredebly well organised... The Casitas or rooms that are actually kind of little villas (they have all size of villas) are so remote and privates.. You actually have the impression of been alone and to have the entire place for yourself !! it's incredible.. the luxury level is descent, if your not happy there, your just to dern picky lol...

If you miss something , just ask your Concierge and they will get it for you.. When we arrive first day, i was missing somes chairs outside, gave a call to Marvin our concierge, 15 min later, we had maintenance guys delivering thems outside our casitas.. You miss linnens, pillows, towles, wathever you need, you ask and they run to bring it over, they realy have great service.. The internet was also very fast and reliable on the WIFi, absolutely no complains there, The place itself is realy for relaxation and leaving your problems behinds.. there is not alots of activities to do around the resort, but it's the perfect spot to kick back and enjoy life ...
The staff... Thiey are the most dedicated and hard working peoples i have ever seen ... They are extremely polite, extremely helpfull and will go the extra millle to do wathever they have to do to please you.. They are here for us and are truely amaising ...
I had a small accident during my trip, i kinda went in the forest after some howlers monkeys and in my excitement, i twisted my ankle badly.. when i arrived back at the resort, i called up to tell thems i just had a small accident and i needed ice, 5 min later, i had 4 ppls from the hotel in my rooms, they had bags of ife, some novocaine to put on my ankle for the pain, they eaven brought me crouches to help.. then 15 min later, they knocked back at the door, it was Andrea that came all the way back to bring us some fruits, cookies and cofeeon a plate// We never asked for this... But she just figured we could use a little cheer up.. And she was right... it was toughtfull and very nice of her.. They alwais go over the top like this to be extra nice to us...In the following days, everybody was extremely helpfull, we were lowned a little electric golf cart to move around in the resort so i wasent confined to my room.. Oh and the first day, they were kind enough to deliver our meals to our casitas to avoid all the walking ..

Im just explaining this to show how nice and helpfull everybody is at Punta Islita... They were so nice that my accident that could have been a terrible trip downer ended up not been that bad at all..

I only have one point that is a bit less positive about this wonderfull place.. The roads to get there... OMG... they are so bad lol... and all around ... if you can call thoes roads lol.. Thaks god we rented a RAV4.. do yourself a favor.. if you can, dont drive or use a shuttle to get from San Jose to Punta Islita.. Instead, use a local flight and get dropped close from Punta.. Ppls drive soooo badly in San Jose lol.. roads are ok around for a while, but you have a good 2-3 hours of bad dirts roads, abd the dirts roads can be extremely bad at some points... You need to be extra carefull driving in thoes and it can be very stressfull and taxing... Also, the road network all around the surrounding costal area around Guanacaste is all small, VERY bad dirt roads.. often so narrow that you need to stop and pull on the side if you get a car on the other side lol.. And on the road to Samara between Punta islita, i remember one time were my wife asked me something, i only took my eyes off the roadl to get it for her, was all it took to hit a deep series of holes that got my front bumber to unpin on one side, my rear liscence plate light to fall down and the shock was so violent that the car kinda cutted power for a fraction second then front and rear wipers started by themselfs lol.. Dont get me wrong, the kid in me had a blast in thoes roads... a rented 4x4 and bad roads... can u say fun time lol.. bridges washed out by rains, crossing rivers in 1 feet of water, driving in S in roads to avoid the huge rocks and big holes lol.. it's fun for a while, but as i said earlier, do yourself a favor and use a local airport ... You wont regreat it ... lol...

Thats pretty much it, Punta Islita is a great place to be... Staff is incredible, the place is a paradise for relaxation, do your research before you go, plan your trip proprely, if you want to go to a beatiful relaxing place, it's a paradise...

Thanks again to all the Punta Islita Staff ... We had a great time !!

The Leonard Family !!

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank Yan L

Gracias for your colorful and vivid post! Thanks so much for highlighting the charming hospitality of our staff. I am certainly glad to hear that you were given such caring attention in response to your twisted ankle. I certainly hope that you are fully recovered and ready to take on your next adventure! Saludos!

Reviewed 20 May 2013

This is a beautiful place, excellent attention, and exquisite rooms, mainly if you have option to reserve a suite, are outstanding ! Standard rooms are ok.
The hotel is perfect for couples or people travelling to relax, no kids. They are allowed of course, but you won´t be able to get the most of the hotel with children. Main pool is breathtaking, but 14 years older are allowed.
If you are travelling with your kids, the pool by the beach would your place, is a nice pool, and you have the chance to share the beach enviroment, where you have also bar and restaurant.
You can take advantage of the meals from the hotel Restaurant, which are delicious, and also very close from the hotel there is a restaurant where you could get excellent menu and very cheap, probably 500 m from the main gate of the hotel.
If I should go again, I would go only with my wife for a weekend !

Room Tip: If you want a wonderful memories, and your budget allow it, take a suite !
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank charlieman242
MariaJBIslita, Outreach Manager at Hotel Punta Islita, Autograph Collection, responded to this reviewResponded 10 June 2013

Dear Charlie,

Muchas gracias for your visit and for taking the time to share your impressions with the Trip Advisor community. Hotel Punta Islita caters to all ages, offering fun adventures for the whole family. As you point out, the infinity pool and sun deck situated adjacent to 1492 Restaurant are conceived as an area for tranquil lounging, reading, and relaxed conversation. The oceanside Borrancho Beach Club pool and gardens set up a lively setting for all ages.

Our selection of Deluxe Rooms are beautifully appointed and include a private terrace with a lounging hammock. Suites and Casitas are larger and feature either a private plunge pool or outdoor whirlpool. But the best amenity for all three categories is the wonderful ocean view!

We hope to see you again very soon. Either for another family getaway or a relaxing weekend with your wife. Gracias!

Reviewed 18 May 2013 via mobile

We are just finished a four night stay in Hotel Punta Islita and I cannot recommend it highly enough!!

The rooms are unreal, we had our own private jacuzzi and hammock.. Completely spotless! The location is something out of a film set... brightly coloured macaws fly past the pool each evening and you can hear the howler monkeys In the distance as you sip on your cocktail at the pool!

The food is fantastic, my husband swears the pork is the best he has tasted..

But I think what makes the hotel so special are the staff! A special mention to Isel our concierge and Miguel the most amazing bar man and cocktail guru! The staff are so friendly and on hand to help with anything!

We were so sad to leave and already can't wait to come back!!

Thanks for everything!

• Stayed: May 2013
3  Thank FeathersLucey

Saludos Lucey! Our sincere thanks for your fantastic review. Thank you for choosing Costa Rica as your across-the-Atlantic travel destination and for giving us a chance to be part of your experience. I have relayed your kudos to Isel and Miguel. They are indeed extraordinary examples of the heartfelt hospitality displayed by our team. I appreciate your enthusiastic praise for their warm professionalism. I am thrilled to learn that we succeeded in making you feel welcome and pampered. And thanks for noting the presence of the colorful Red Macaws that are again coloring our skies. As you probably learned during your stay, this bewitching sight has been made possible through our partnership with Ara Project, a program that seeks to recover the Macaw populations in Costa Rica. A little over a year into the program, we begin to see brightly-colored results!

Reviewed 3 May 2013

I'm not sure I would change one thing. The staff is the most accommodating, & friendliest I have ever seen. The food and the drinks are so perfect to the location. The website and all the pictures don't do it justice. From the moment you're greeted by Marvin with a cold cloth, you will be transported to somewhere amazing. Miss it already and I haven't even left.

Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
MariaJBIslita, Outreach Manager at Hotel Punta Islita, Autograph Collection, responded to this reviewResponded 7 May 2013

Dear Robert, thanks so much for taking the time to share your comments about Hotel Punta Islita. It was a pleasure to be your hosts and we certainly look forward to your return. Best wishes from your friends in Costa Rica.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Punta Islita
#7 of 16 in Playa Samara
Nammbu Beachfront Bungalows
Nammbu Beachfront Bungalows
#3 of 7 in Playa Carrillo

Been to Hotel Punta Islita, Autograph Collection? Share your experiences!