“A Perfect Paradise”

GreenLeadersGold level
Kernersville, North Carolina
“A Perfect Paradise”
Reviewed 22 July 2013

My husband and I have been to Mexico a lot (Cancun/Riviera Maya area & Los Cabos) and we always stay at the all-inclusive resorts there. We've always enjoyed our trips there, but this year we were looking for something a little different-- something a little more peaceful & quiet. So this year we decided we would finally go to Costa Rica. We looked around at different resorts & hotels here on TripAdvisor and decided we didn't want to go with an all-inclusive, large resort this time and Hotel Punta Islita had so many positive reviews so we decided on it. And I'm so glad that we did! All of the positive reviews are there for a reason! My husband called the hotel with some questions during the process of booking our stay, and right away, the staff was so helpful & informative. We stayed in one of the casitas [it has a garden terrace & private plunge pool] and it was gorgeous! We really enjoyed having our own plunge pool and the view was just beautiful. There were a couple of days where we stayed in the backyard of our room all day, just hanging out in the plunge pool and reading books in our hammock & on the terrace. It was just the kind of vacation we had been wanting. Most of our days were spent in similar relaxing fashion, but instead of just hanging out at our private pool, we would go to the pool by the main restaurant after breakfast and stay there for a couple of hours before walking down to the beach in the afternoon. Our first full day there, we decided to explore the beach, so we took a walk onto the rocky point that juts out into the ocean. It was an arduous little journey, especially in flip-flops, but it was so much fun! There were crabs and sea urchins by the dozens and a shallow cave and the ocean was crashing against the rocks-- absolutely breathtaking! After beach-time, most days we would head to the Borrancho Beach Club for lunch, but one day they just brought us lunch right at the beach. We sat at one of the tables under the trees that border the beach and had delicious pizza (Hawaiian & Supreme) and drank out of coconuts :-). At night, we would head back up to the main restaurant (1492) for dinner. I would say that the food at Punta Islita is well above average compared to most of the food that I've had at other resorts and hotels. We liked the fact that the ingredients were local and fresh. Aside from the food, the servers always went out of their way to create a perfect dining experience. They were always so attentive at every meal and always treated us like we were special. Really the staff at Punta Islita is a huge part of what made our whole trip here special: from Marvin, who helped us with check-in and then checked on us almost every day to make sure we had everything we needed and that we were having a great time, to the restaurant staff (Vinicio, Eduardo, Edgar, Randy, Miguel and Jose Diego) who always called us by name and treated us like we were part of their family, to just the staff that we would pass on the road or on the pathways who always said hello and gave a friendly smile.
Punta Islita was a more expensive trip for us than our trips to Mexico and Jamaica. Getting there is more expensive not only because of the flight, but because you also have to pay for transportation from the airport in Liberia to the hotel which is about a 2.5 hour drive. The excursions are pretty expensive too. It was going to be $1200 US if we wanted to go fishing for a day. We did decide to do the Monkey Quest tour, but it was only $49 US per person. It lasted for about 2.5 hours and we got to see three different groups of howler monkeys and it was also a great way to see some more of the countryside and the farms and villages. The meals were also fairly expensive. Breakfast is free though (aside from a tip for the servers, which is well-deserved!), and they do offer a meal plan that you can purchase when you book your stay or even after you get there if you feel that it would be more economical. We decided not to do the meal plan and we probably spent more on meals than one would have to. We always got appetizers and desserts and I usually had wine at dinner. And we usually got mixed drinks while sitting by the pool, which added to our expense, but you have to get someone to make you a watermelon mojito at least once while you're there. They are sooo delicious and refreshing and are currently my very favorite drink!
There are some things that I think would bother some people. You probably will get bugs in your room. There are these little 1-inch long caterpillars or centipedes that are all over the place and were constantly in our room. There were a couple of very small spiders, a gecko and a small scorpion that got into our room also at various times during the week. But you have to expect this to some degree any time you stay in a tropical place. It's inevitable and even though pesky at times, the wildlife here is part of the magic. On our walks around the property we saw a golden orb spider, geckos, iguanas, a praying mantis, large frogs, a vine snake and once an armadillo came out to visit the restaurant while we were having dinner. And speaking of walks, the stairs are endless! Just walking to dinner or the beach is a pretty good workout especially with the high temperatures and humidity. However, the hotel does offer free transportation to and from the beach and within the grounds if needed. Also, this is a very quiet, tranquil resort so you won't find an activity director at the pool or raucous drinking games going on at all hours at the pool and beach and given the secluded location, there is no nightlife to speak of, but that's not what we wanted this time anyway, so that was fine with us. It also seems to be a good place for families, so if you're there for strictly couple-time, you might be bothered by the presence of children. It didn't really bother us because the hotel wasn't very crowded so there were only 2 or 3 families with children in the first place and most of the time those families were down at the beach and at the pool that is by the beach. The pool that we went to each day is the one by the 1492 restaurant and it is for ages 16+. And if all else failed, we had our private plunge pool to retreat to.
For us, this trip was perfect and I'm so glad we picked Hotel Punta Islita for our stay. I highly recommend it and would love to go back!

Room Tip: We loved the casita for its privacy (although there is a window that looked into our bathroom from t...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank CRSTucker
MariaJBIslita, Outreach Manager at Hotel Punta Islita, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, 29 July 2013
Our heartfelt thanks for your thorough and thoughtful review. As experienced travelers, your input and comments are quite valuable! I am delighted to learn that you found about us through Trip Advisor and that the experiences shared by our former guests helped you make your decision. Costa Rica is an amazing travel destination and it is especially enjoyable if you are able to fully immerse in its happy mantra. Nature is intense, friendships are meaningful. We are quite proud to be able to showcase both. Thanks so much for your wonderful description of your stay. We always hope to provide our guests with a Perfect Paradise. Saludos!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (219)
Salt Lake City
Reviewed 21 July 2013

We visited in April. We agree with all of the fine comments set forth by other guests on food, accomodations, views and activities. There is much to do and little to do here, as you like it. Just sitting in the casita's plunge pool and watching the Pacific vista after breakfast for the week helped us reboot from a busy work schedule and shake off the northern winter chill. Fantastic. As mentioned, it's a bit of travel by jet and car to arrive but well worth the effort if you seek solitude and that slice of natural and scantly developed Costa Rica raved about in travel blogs and guide books.

I applaude the GM for the intensive focus and training of staff in top notch customer service, which encourages employees to be part of the solution by contributing ideas on providing an exceptional experience. I also appreciated the time he took to discuss this with me as I attempt to travel this path in providing an exceptional patient experience in health care.

Things to do when not supine: Deep sea fishing, take a surf lesson, make a day trip to Samara and enjoy the beaches along the way, walk to the Village of Punta Islita and visit the artists' coop, golf, play tennis (early morning or at night), hike to a Pacific sunset vista, or stop in for a deep tissue massage. After fretting on how to extend your stay at Punta Islita sidle up to the bar at happy hour to request Andrea pull out the muddler and fix you a mojito.

We will be back.

Note that we found the casita clean, well air conditioned and comfortable for relaxation and work, should that be necessary.

Room Tip: The best views of the beach that also take in the sea breeze are in the casitas below the infinity p...
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
Thank you for your wonderful comments about Costa Rica and Hotel Punta Islita! Your fantastic experience signals that we fully succeeded in providing a stimulating, fun, and perfect getaway to enjoy relaxation, adventure, and the most attentive customer service.
Los Angeles
Reviewed 12 July 2013

.. Wow I am sitting at my desk watching my own video of my stay at the Hotel Punta Islita. It makes me want to board a plane Immediately to go right back. Yes it did take some time to get to Punta Islita, however the ride was well worth it. I totally enjoyed seeing as much as Costa Rica that I could. We started in San Jose over a period of 8 days, with our trip ending in Guanacaste for 2 nights staying here. It was way more than I ever expected, and I lucked out on being assigned to Suite #23. Each room, regardless of size offers complete privacy. There were no rooms side by side like in any typical hotel. I had no clue what I was in for. The second that I opened my door to my suite, I knew that I was in paradise when I opened my "yard door" that lead me to my front door of this suite. I immediately feel in love, king side DRAPED bed, flat screen television, large bathroom with a step in shower (think of stepping into a bathtub), a full kitchette area that offered snacks, liquor, and coffee maker. The mini frig offered everything from water, to juices, and of course local beer.. There is a price list right there for your review, and surprising the costs were not bad at all ($3.00 for beer) I had a full living room with sofa that lead me to my patio that offered a hammock, and Jacuzzi pool. Beyond the Jacuzzi I also had a full yard, reminding me of my own back yard at home, and 2 lounge chairs over looking the greenery, and ocean waters of Costa Rica. I truly felt as if I were in heaven. Beyond in the forest I could hear the cries of the monkeys, and singing of the birds. True Paradise. The Staff were very accommodating with all of my needs. We spent time at the pool bar with 360 angle views of both the forest and the ocean located down below. If we wanted to go down to the beach, all we had to do was to ask and a staff member would immediately give us a ride to another section of the property where there was another outdoor restaurant where lunch is served, and another pool and pool bar located oceanfront. The views were to die for. Another thing that I loved about this luxury hotel, everything was right there for us. If we wanted to go horseback riding, boom it;s right there, Zip lining boom right there. River Kayaking and surfing is also available. If you are planning a extended family vacation, there are 2-4 bedroom FULL villas available. definitely set up as a home away from home. Full kitchens, private pools and whirlpools, and multiple bathrooms. There is also a small town on site that houses a market place, art gallery and Costa Rican museum. I plan on going back as often as I can and would recommend Hotel Punta Islita to anyone the listens

Room Tip: Any room location would be a gem right!!!!
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank missthang43
You will always be welcome and we look forward to many magical returns. Thank you so much for taking the time to detail your experience at Hotel Punta Islita and for the wonderful recommendations you shared with future travelers. Warmest regards and Pura Vida!
California
Reviewed 14 June 2013

Punta Islita is a wonderful spot for a family vacation. The resort is a little remote, but absolutely worth it once you arrive after a long drive from Liberia. Welcoming and incredibly friendly staff. Beautiful setting and lovely accommodations, great food, and lots to do for an active family including grandchildren aged 11, 9 and 5. We stayed in a beautiful 3-bedroom villa complete with its own small pool and golf cart to roam the resort. The beach is not a white sand beach, but perfect for swimming and surfing. Activities include zip lining (a must!), surfing lessons, monkey and dolphin watching excursions, bird watching and much more. Two pools and a lovely spa. Amazing breakfasts. Excellent food with ots of fresh fruit and wonderful ceviche. Our concierge, Hector, went above and beyond to make sure our stay was perfect, and the entire staff was fantastic! Five stars!

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
4 Thank Susan F
MariaJBIslita, Outreach Manager at Hotel Punta Islita, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, 24 June 2013
Dear Susan,

Thank you so much for choosing Costa Rica and Hotel Punta Islita as your family vacation getaway. I am so happy to learn that you fully enjoyed your stay. We are truly blessed by outstanding surroundings that highlight authentic non-crowded Costa Rica, including its signature eco-adventures. Because it is a secluded area, we fully recommend at least a 4 night stay. Please receive warm regards from all of our staff!
Lighthouse Point, Florida
Reviewed 10 June 2013

My wife and I made this the last stop during our week long trip to Costa Rica. This is one of the most amazing places I have ever been to. Everything is five star, from check in to check out. The views are spectacular and the seclusion of the resort make it incredibly peaceful. We have traveled to many five star locations around the world and this is easily our favorite.

Room Tip: We stayed in room 22. Ask for the Honey moon suite to get the best sweeping views.
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
Thrilled to read your wonderful review! We are delighted to have had a chance to be your hosts while in Costa Rica. Thank you so much for sharing your experience with the Trip Advisor community!
Washington DC
Reviewed 5 June 2013

I went with my wife and 8 month old son and it was a great place to stay. This hotel is definitely off the beaten path. The hotel arranged for us to be picked up from SJO and it was about a 4 hour drive to the hotel. The last few miles are particularly rough and require fording a small river.

The service at this hotel is unmatched in my experience. One example is one night we were having dinner at 7 or so and my son fell asleep in my arms and our waiter created a makeshift crib out of 2 chairs and some towels next to our table.

Our room felt very private and had a great view. Each casita is a small separate detached building. It is a few flights of stairs up to the reservation desk and main restaurant. There was a decent storm one night and we lost power for a few hours, but we were already going to bed so it wasn't an inconvenience to us.

The whole hotel feels very private as well. We were there in late May and we heard there was about 65 guests at the hotel, but we never saw more than 10 other people at a time, either at the beach or restaurants.

I would say the biggest knock on the hotel is that the room regularly has bugs coming to visit. There isn't much that can be done to combat this based on the being so close to nature. We never had any problems with the bugs biting us.

When we left to go home the hotel also arranged for our transfer to the nearby "airport" that Nature Air services.

Room Tip: We had casita 207, which was nice. I would probably selection 204 or 205 for instance that had grass...
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
Thank you so much for letting us be your partners in creating a special experience for your family. I sincerely appreciate your post and certainly share your enthusiasm about our staff. They are an incredible team of caring individuals. Their hospitality is heartfelt, drawn out of sincere friendship. Thanks for acknowledging them! Warmest regards :)
Houston
Reviewed 24 May 2013

Our first trip to CR and we spent our last 3 days there. The staff was fantastic from the initial pickup at the "airport" to our departure. The scenery and setting is really perfect, reminiscent of the Mauna Kea setting on the Kona coast. The casitas are very nice; private and great views. The restaurant has a wonderful chef and we enjoyed each evening's specials. The presence of the "howler" monkeys and the AVA Macaw reintroduction program provides some inspired wildlife. The 9 hole executive golf course looks easy, but the rough makes it pretty challenging for even good golfers [the 7 handicap lost 3 of 4 balls by hole 3--I did the same and did not feel so bad]. Wife gave great report on the spa. Just good folks, who live in and support a small community. Very eco conscious. They made us very welcome.

Room Tip: The casitas are very nice; but from what I saw all the rooms have spectacular views of the ocean. I...
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank plhughes
MariaJBIslita, Outreach Manager at Hotel Punta Islita, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, 28 May 2013
Wonderful, thoughtful review! Thank you so much for taking the time to provide us with feedback. I m delighted to learn that you and your wife enjoyed your stay so much. Thanks for letting us introduce you to Costa Rica's wonders. Feeling the impressive guttural roar of the howler monkey and marveling at the Macaw's colorful flight are some of my favorite Hotel Punta Islita experiences. Please return very soon!
Also consider these accommodations in or near Punta Islita
Boutique Hotel Lagarta Lodge
Hotel Tropico Latino
Hotel Tropico Latino
#2 of 26 in Santa Teresa

Been to Hotel Punta Islita, Autograph Collection? Share your experiences!