“Perfect Honeymoon!” 5 of 5 bubbles

GreenLeadersGold level
DC
“Perfect Honeymoon!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 September 2007

We spent five nights at the Punta Islita for our honeymoon. It was fantastic! Having been recommended to the resort by friends, we were still impressed and loved our entire vacation. The views are beautiful; the staff is extremely friendly.

If you are looking for a fast-paced, American resort with shows and nightlife, this is NOT the place for you. Punta Islita is quiet, quaint and romantic. We spent most of our honeymoon out by the pool and in our room, just relaxing, reading and enjoying each other's company. We didn't need a lot of entertainment. If you DO want entertainment, this isn't the place to go.

We stayed in a basic suite with the Romantic Hideaway package. If we could do it again, we might have gotten a jacuzzi suite, but we have no complaints about where we stayed! Our room and patio were secluded and quiet, with a great view. The hotel is eco-friendly and committed to maintaining cultural quality.

We would completely recommend this resort to couples looking for a romantic getaway. There is not a whole lot for chidren to do; we found the children there to be a little distracting, even though they do have their own pool.

Our favorites: the pool by the restaurant and the swim-up bar - always quiet and awesome views; excursions - we did the canopy zip-line and horseback riding; room service!

A couple of negative points: the food is a little pricey and there is not a lot of variety. What we had was good, but we ordered room service a lot; the beach is not great.

*Do not drive to Punta Islita during the rainy season! We decided not to fly and were transported from Liberia; the trip took about 5 long hours. The roads are horrible and we were carsick and exhausted by the time we got there. It is worth the money to fly!*

Overalll, we loved our experience and would go back in a heartbeat!

• Liked — The views and friendly staff.
  • Disliked — The long drive to get there.
  • Stayed August 2007, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (208)
San Francisco, CA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 September 2007

There are no words to describe Punta Islita...it is basically heaven on earth. It is my definition of paradise. Absolutely gorgeous!!!

I went on my honeymoon and stayed in a Casita for 5 days....this was so perfect because the Casita offered privacy, including our own private hammock, private pool, and 2 private lawn chairs.

The service was absolutely amazing...and the food was delicious. Every room has a DVD player and the hotel has a DVD library you can access at no cost to you. Lovely golf course and the beach is gorgeous, although a bit rocky.

I wish I could move in to this place...so lovely! Definitely a place to remember.

My only thing that I didnt like was every evening, like clockwork, at 6pm the racoons came out to look for food. They dont bother you, but we saw them every single night. They even crashed my pool party one evening. But I guess, if you're in Costa Rica, you should expect wildlife....we were in THEIR terrority.

Overall, I'm already planning my next visit!

• Liked — The views and awesome service
  • Disliked — Nothing...it was fantastic
  • Stayed August 2007, travelled as a couple
Sussex
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 September 2007

Spent 6 nights here in a "honeymoon" bungalow at the end of a 3 week holiday in South America. Flew from San Jose return by light airplane - absolutely recommended if you love flying - and probably the most memorable parts of the trip. Hotel was immaculate and well laid out. Food was great - especially the pizzas at the beach pool area. We had a one bedroomed bungalow with amazing views from the terrace. The Four poster bed was large and comfortable. Sadly the bathroom only had a large shower, but maybe in the tropical heat baths are not popular. Outside we had our own private garden and plunge pool. The housekeeping service was excellent. It felt very special to be there, but for us 6 days was too long. We tried walking out and around the resort each day, but it was too hot to go far. As a once in a lifetime few days of perfect relaxation we thoroughly recommend it, but for any longer without a hire car or means of getting round it can seem too remote.

• Liked — Hummingbirds
  • Disliked — Not enough marked walking routes in the forest
  • Stayed April 2006, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Lakewood, CA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 July 2007

This resort is great. Absolutely beautiful views, excellent service, great food, beach only 10 min by shuttle, just gorgeous! Highly recommend for those on their honeymoon.

• Stayed April 2007, travelled as a couple
New Jersey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 July 2007

The hotel is beautifully situated with great views. Everything is built into the mountain, so the casitas are very private. As several others have said, it is not a luxury hotel by US standards, but is very comfortable, clean and has a distinctive Costa Rican charm.
The staff is incredibly helpful and friendly. Unlike some other places in CR, tipping is definitely expected here.
The open air aspect of both restaurants was very inviting.
The beach is not one of the better beaches in CR, but it's still a good place to relax and listen to the surf. The waves are somewhat calmer than at other beaches, so you can actually enjoy going in the ocean. Surfers will be disappointed, though.
The atmosphere of the spa was wonderful. I particularly liked listening to the howler monkeys while I got a hot stone massage!
One word of advice: if you're coming from San Jose, don't drive. We had a private driver and it took us almost 6 hrs. to get there. We flew back to San Jose and that was most definitely the better option.

• Liked — the charm
  • Disliked — not enough storage space
  • Stayed July 2007
1 Thank marsky
Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 July 2007

I read about this place in a travel magazine and fell in love with the photos I saw. I cannot express how amazing this experience was. I have been to some beautiful places all over the world, but this location ranks at the top for me.

It is completely worth the rates and the scary ride to get there. My only negative comment is that I wish I'd been informed of how difficult it is to get there. We traversed dirt roads for hours in a rented Toyota Corolla and were lucky that the weather was dry as we actually had to drive across a riverbed at one point! The front desk at the hotel told me that during the rainy season, one must have a 4-wheel drive vehicle to make it to the hotel. It is truly remote and probably not a good location for anyone who might need medical attention during their stay.

But for most people I highly recommend it. And although we don't have kids, we did see several families and it seemed like a great place for kids too. But for us it was a romantic place. My favorite experiences were the private dinner served down on the beach surrounded by candles and the couples chocolate massages also on the beach. I won't ever forget the time we spent there and I do hope to return one of these days!

• Liked — Beauty of scenery, comfort and amazing service
  • Disliked — I liked everything except the difficulty of getting to the hotel
  • Stayed March 2007, travelled as a couple
1 Thank PhaedraX
Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 July 2007

I spent so much time researching the hotel since I was planning a wedding on the property. I was hesitant at first reading some reviews, but once I arrived all my fears were laid to rest. The staff is extremely accommodating and all my wedding guests were impressed with their willingness to help with activities, rooms, etc. Reviews had complained of the walk to the beach from the rooms, frankly, don't come to Costa RIca unless you are willing to walk. The walk to the beach was a beautifully landscaped sidewalk and if you wanted tranportation was always available.

We had a two bedroom house with a private plunge pool, it felt as we had our own private condo tucked away from the world. I woke every morning in awe of the view and the wonder of this hotel. Because of the wedding, we had the opportunity to see every type of room the hotel had to offer; the three bedroom houses are off the property, but well worth the trouble. They tucked away into the hills overlooking the ocean with amazing details, granite countertops, quality sheets and beds, and palapas with hammocks. However, I would never be disappointed in the standard room; all had wonderful views.

ZERO complaints, I HIGHLY recommend this hotel to anyone that is looking for a REMOTE, private getaway.

• Liked — EVERYTHING! Food, pool, beach!
  • Disliked — There is nothing to compain about!
  • Stayed July 2007
#2 of 16 in Playa Samara
Hotel Villas Playa Samara
Hotel Villas Playa Samara
#9 of 16 in Playa Samara

Been to Hotel Punta Islita, Autograph Collection? Share your experiences!