“A Gem in the Northwoods”

Blue Bayou Inn Restaurant
Cuisines: American, Seafood
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Child-friendly, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Wisconsin, USA
“A Gem in the Northwoods”
Reviewed 8 July 2014

I love northern Wisconsin, I love seafood, and I love New Orleans. Well this restaurant wraps all three of these loves into one! We arrived on a busy weeknight without a reservation, so we did have to wait. We had Hurricanes and Cajun Popcorn (deep fried crawfish) at the bar. There was a very nice outdoor patio we would have loved to use to wait, but the temperatures were just a bit too chilly. Their signage makes it very clear this is a leisurely paced dinner, no rushing allowed. Sorry to disappoint the parents who drag their kids everywhere, but please leave this restaurant to the adults. Kids do not have the patience to sit and wait and it is disrespectful to the adult patrons to have the little ones running around unsupervised. The restaurant has a beautiful view of the lake-they needed to take down the dated white curtains that block 3/4 of the view! The decor is kitschy NOLA but fun. The food is ample-seafood pate, remmoulde, bread, crackers, soup, AND a fresh salad made at your table. Entrees come with vegetable & usually brown rice. We were pleased with both entrees. The service was attentive. In a time of "rush, rush" in chain restaurants as the norm, this may not be the restaurant choice for everyone. For us, it was perfect.

• Visited July 2014

Denver, Colorado
“Exceptional Cajun Cooking in the Northwoods”
Reviewed 4 June 2014

Blue Bayou is a local institution that I have been frequenting for a decade plus. Open from Memorial Day-Labor Day, Blue Bayou serves hearty, flavorful meals with excellent seasonings. The traditional meal is four-course (seafood pate spread, soup, salad, main), though I highly recommend adding the escargot or blackened scallops to share. The soups are fantastic, offering a rotating selection that may include a chilled strawberry rhoubarb (fantastic), gumbo (fantastic), creamy sausage and potato (fantastic), or tomato basil (good, but I prefer the others). The salad is served on the same salad cart that has been gracing tables since the place opened decades ago - probably with the same ingredients. They offer a house specialty cajun dressing that is tasty. While the salad is fresh, I've learned to stop ordering it so that I can save more room for the main course (frankly, I don't think I'm missing out on too much). Main meals are exceptional. My family frequently shares bites of everyone's favorites, and it's safe to say you really can't go wrong. The blackened duck and catfish are oustanding and cooked to perfection. The jumbalaya is my personal favorite (and keeps very well for leftovers), the steak is my favorite in the Northwoods, and the scallops are melt in your mouth. I rarely have room for dessert, but when I do, I am not disappointed. Highly recommend Blue Bayou, though note that it is better suited to groups or parties looking for a more leisurely dining experience. They do have outdoor, waterfront seating, where we'll occasionally enjoy a cocktail before dinner. I prefer eating dinner inside to avoid bugs as the sun sets and turns to dark.

• Visited June 2014
1 Thank caitlin108
Littleton
“Not a "kiddie" place”
Reviewed 7 January 2014

We just love the Blue Bayou. I have read the negative reviews. I am certain that the Blue Bayou CLEARLY lets everyone understand that this is not a "Chili's" type restaurant. It is a dining experience. Any place that warns this is not a place you come to with small children.

Our family LOVES our visits to Blue Bayou. We love the live music. We love the slow pace. We love the different menu. The north woods can be a bit confining with variety. Blue Bayou is a special night for our family.

As for the negative feedback from the owner....Maybe after 34 years in business, she has earned the right to defend her place. When I am there, I see her at mass. She seems like the real deal.

• Visited July 2013
1 Thank Susan B
East Troy, WI
“Still one of the best restaurants in Wisconsin.”
Reviewed 14 October 2013

We have eaten at the Blue Bayou nearly every year for 25 years. Chef Walt Mazur passed away many years ago, but his wife, Rita has maintained the exacting quality that we noticed the first time we ate there. First time visitors should not expect to eat and leave quickly. Service is immediate but courses are delivered at a well timed pace, just as the menu states. The jambalaya is the equal of any you might find in New Orleans and the other dishes are just as good. Desserts are wickedly good! We will keep coming back here every year in fall to enjoy the colors and to remind ourselves what a really good restaurant Blue Bayou is. Prices are a bit lower than in recent years, probably due to increased competition in the area.

• Visited October 2013
Racine
“Glad We Tried It”
Reviewed 5 October 2013

Years ago we went by this place and it was very expensive and we passed it by. Well, being a foodie and now retired, we thought it's about time we try it at least once while in vacationing in the area. We were so glad we did because not only were the prices now reasonable, the Cajun menu had some great choices.

First of all, included in your meal was an appetizer of fish pate along with a vegetable type salsa spread which was very delicious and a small hot loaf of bread accompanied it along with crackers. I had a cup of tomato basil soup, yum, and hubby had the seafood chowder, excellent! You also get salads which were cold and crisp. Their award-winning Jambalaya was by far the best my husband had and my blackened Mai Mai was very good. We split the pecan tart because I needed a sugar fix too! It was ok.

Our service was very good. You get a lot of food here and we enjoyed a slower pace in between each serving. The lake view from any table in the dinning room was beautiful. The bar room is extremely small but we like cozy areas and adjacent to the dinning room is a cocktail lounge area and they do have an outdoor patio to also enjoy your drinks This is an old place but very charming so give it a try, we're glad we did!

• Visited October 2013