“Avoid, if you can find a better one”

Holiday Inn Manitowoc
Ranked #3 of 6 Hotels in Manitowoc
Madison
“Avoid, if you can find a better one”
Reviewed 12 October 2007

I travel about 50% for business. Booking this online, looked okay.

Rate for a "king suite" (I presumed with a microwave and fridge), 145.00 for a weeknight.

Requested non-smoking.

When walking up to my room my eyes watered from the strong smoke smell throughout the hotel. As I entered my room, smoke smell was gone, but it smelled moldy, like there was water damage or something.

If you are a non-smoker, you will notice the film in the non-smoking room I had from years of smokers. It is stil lthere, on the ceiling tiles, everything! Gross.

Since it was late at night at checkin I decided to stay rather than go from hotel to hotel looking for a better room.

Luckily the windows opened up (35 degress out), so I opened them up all night to get fresh air, and replace the nasty mold smell.

I had room service, food was good.

Sofa in room is something left over from a college dorm room. And is a twin size pullout.

No water in the vending areas

No breakfast included, must go to their rest. if you would like to eat breakfast there.

Wireless internet service has good signal, but data flow is intermittent.

Total bill for this room with breakfast will be about 165.00, definately not worth it. It should be priced more like a super 8 or something. More like a 69.00 room.

• Liked — Food
  • Disliked — Smoke smell everywhere
  • Stayed October 2007, travelled on business
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
Southeast
Reviewed 23 September 2007

Very mediocre at best, for such an expensive/overpriced property. Our room was always half cleaned, trash that fell short of the waste can would not be picked up or swept, and I had to call and request clean towels and glasses several days in a row. Finally I complained bitterly to the manager, and we received fresh towels and glasses. Dirty, empty glasse were left in plain sight. The hotel was noisy, and for the price in such a small town, VERY overpriced and over rated. We shall not return. To be avoided!

• Disliked — Lousy service, terribly overpriced
  • Stayed August 2007, travelled on business
Sun City, Arizona
Reviewed 9 July 2007

My room was clean, updated and quiet. Since I am a woman traveling alone. I felt safe which is important to me. There is a restaurant in the hotel but I walked to the Perkins next door so you do have food options without having to get in the car and drive. The internet access was good. The only drawback is that they did not provide any type of breakfast in the rate which is normal for Holiday Inn vs. Holiday Inn Express but as a Gold member I often get a coupon for breakfast which this hotel did not offer. Overall though I would definitely stay here again.

• Liked — the quiet rooms
  • Disliked — No continental breakfast
  • Stayed July 2007, travelled on business
Reviewed 9 November 2005

My husband and I stayed in this hotel on a Saturday night before a Packers game, and there happened to be a wedding reception going on in the inner atrium of the hotel with a very loud band that played until 11:00 pm at night. The hotel gave us an interior-facing room right above where the band was playing (although you would think those rooms would have been filled with wedding guests). They had no other (external) rooms available, and they refused to give us a discount on rate of $147 per night, saying that "noise issues were out of their control."

Other than that, the hotel room itself was fine. I just objected to the fact the hotel refused to give us a discount, and would not recommend it on that basis - particularly on a Saturday night with a wedding reception going on.

• Stayed October 2005
1 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 11 September 2005

This was a last minute stay so we had to pay a pretty high fee for the room $139. Staff was very nice and the room was large and clean. They accept pets and that is always a plus. It was a nice quiet room, no free breakfast, however many other restaurants to choose from from $ to $$$$. I would stay here again.

• Stayed September 2005, travelled on business
2 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Central Illinois
Reviewed 13 July 2004

Our family was booked here as a group for funeral services.

The staff at the hotel went far above the ordinary to make sure that we were comfortable and well cared for.

We appreciate everything they did to make the experience easier for us.

The large, open atrium provided plenty of space for family to congregate.

The staff was very open to helping us find suitable rooms to meet individual requests.

We took two small dogs with us and the staff was very welcoming towards them. You must have a maid inspect the room before you check out to make sure you get your deposit back.

There is lots of room around the hotel for dog walking.

A Perkins restaurant is next door which was a good place for family members to meet for breakfast or dinner.

The rooms were nice, but not extravagant. Bathrooms showed just a bit of wear, but was not objectionable.

Kids enjoyed the indoor pool area which is open until 11 p.m. There is also a small workout room in the lower level.

There is a lot to explore in Manitowoc, which would make this a nice place to visit. We did get out on the Mariners Trail for a walk. It runs along the bay and gives you a nice view (and a chance to dip your toes) while you get some fresh air and exercise.

The hotel is about 5 miles from the SS BADGER car ferry which we took back to Michigan. It was a pleasant and relaxing experience. The hotel shuttle got us there in plenty of time.

Cooks Outlet downtown is a very nice place to shop for quality cooking equipment at a good price.

Thanks again to the wonderful staff at this hotel for all they did for our family.

• Stayed January 2005
5 Thank PapillonTraveler
Reviewed 27 April 2003

I thought the hotel was great! The service was great, and the price wasn't that bad.

6 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Also consider these accommodations in or near Manitowoc
Baymont Inn & Suites Manitowoc Lakefront
#6 of 6 in Manitowoc
Harbor Town Inn
Harbor Town Inn
#4 of 6 in Manitowoc

Been to Holiday Inn Manitowoc? Share your experiences!