“Hey look a choo choo train!”

Baymont Inn & Suites Marinette
Ranked #3 of 6 Hotels in Marinette
Michigan
“Hey look a choo choo train!”
Reviewed 18 June 2009

I've stayed at this hotel multiple times.......sometimes on the train side some times on the mall side. (Pine tree mall is across the parking lot). I've never really been upset.

The location is convienent especially if you like trains....why if you're lucky one might pass by your window at 2 A.M. Now I've not heard the train horn at night...but if your window is open to air out the foul smell of the hotel hallway.. (This time it smelled like a gym locker room in Pakistan, it may have been from the 4 people riding motorcycles in the hot weather)...you'll hear the choo choo whizzing by in the morning.. The train tracks are pretty obvious. And if you've driven up and down Hwy 41..at all in your life or to get to the hotel...that's a kinda busy set of tracks. Now if you're up for the train anyway you may as well stick around for an ambulance run too...since the road just south of the hotel is the main road to the hospital..and they run a few times at night too. But the red lights are sort of pretty as they speed past the Holiday gas station across 41.

All that aside....a pretty weak offering for breakfast...but they did have bananas.
They might have had a waffle machine...no other hot stuff from memory.
No elevators and it really is 150 miles to sturgeon bay.. unless you're a darn good swimmer then it's only 43 miles cross the bay.

Yes I'd recommend this place to you...it's either that or the cross country inn next to menards....but I think the comfort inn is about 20 percent cheaper and you've got a way better view of the train traffic.

The odor from the hallway was mostly diminished by morning....either that or I just got used to it.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled with family
1 Thank willdriveforfood

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Janesville, WI
Reviewed 25 October 2008

Our room was 30 feet from a train track running parallel to the entire length of the buidling. A train traveled this track at 7P, 7:30P, 9P, 9:30P and 3A blaring its warning horn each time (the hotel is located at the corner of a road the train crosses). We called the front desk after the 9:30P train and asked if the train ran all night long and if the city had a noise ordinance after 10:00. The clerk told us she only worked until 11:00 so she didn't know what happened during the night and she didn't know about a noise ordinance.

Needless to say, we did not sleep.

After I notified the Comfort Inn corporate office, I recieved a letter from the manager of the hotel, Karla Martin, explaining that they were sorry, since the train runs through and the city has no noise ordinance the only thing they can do is notify customers when they register. When I told her I was not notified of the night time noise even when I asked she told me that I drove over the tracks to get there and should have known it!
She told me (disrespectfully in my opinion) that since I obviously had a problem she would be refunding my money for the nights' stay.

I am still waiting for the credit.

Overall impression of this hotel and its management- LOUD, disrespectful, dishonest.

• Stayed October 2006, travelled with family
1 Thank Holly J
WI422GM, manager at Baymont Inn & Suites Marinette, responded to this review, 1 June 2009
Thank you for your comments cencerning your visit to the 2008-09 Platinun Award Winning Comfort Inn in Marinette, Wi. My sincere apologies for the inconvenience that you experienced during your stay. We recognize that the train passing our hotel can create a noise distraction that may not be a welcoming experience. Unfortunately, the city of Marinette does not currently have a noise ordinance that restricts the times that the train can travel through the area. Until we are able to find a remedy for this challenge with the Railroad, we are taking the following steps to ensure guest satisfaction: 1. We register as many guest as possible on the side of hotel away from the train tracks. 2. Guest who may be more sensitive to outside noises are encouraged to contact the hotel directly in advance of your arrival to request a room in the hotel that will not be affected by the trains. The requests will be met as often as possible based upon availability.

Commitment to your satisfaction is our goal at the Comfort Inn of Marinette. We look forward to serving you and all guests in the future.

Most Sincerely,

Karla Martin, General Manager
715-732-2321

Travellers are raving about these Marinette hotels

Morris, Illinois
Reviewed 28 March 2008

We stayed a single night at this Comfort Inn and it was an OK stay. When booking, we requested a smoking room and were given a choice of a room with two double beds or a room with a king bed designed for a handicapped traveler. As it was very late in the day, we chose the larger room. I wish hotels would do away with rooms with double beds! As the other reviewers noted, the railroad tracks run the entire length of the hotel and our room faced the tracks as well as the main highway across the tracks. During our stay there were three freight trains that passed, one about 4:30 AM. while the horn honking was not too bad, there was the rumble that could be heard and felt. Also, in the morning, the truck traffic on the road picked up. The tip is: be sure to get a room on the other side of the hotel. Otherwise, the room was fine...but there was no place in the bathroom to put any of your items. The sink had only a small counter and there was no other shelving. The table in the bedroom, while a good size with two chairs, would be hard to use for a handicapped person as it was quite close to the bed. A wheelchair or walker would be difficult use in this area. This hotel reminded me of a very inexpensive building, as the hall and room floors were made of plywood or some other type of wood...not steel or concrete. It was like being in an older mobile home. Wireless internet service was good and the breakfast adequate.

• Disliked — Train noise
  • Stayed March 2008, travelled as a couple
1 Thank FarAndWide_Traveller
Harbor Springs, Michigan
Reviewed 14 October 2007

This reservation was made for me by the rural health clinic in the adjoining town of Meninominee, Michigan, because all the Meninominee hotels/motels were full for my 12 day stay in the area.

At first I was disappointed by the location (across the Menominee River in Marinette, Wisconsin), by the external appearance of the facility, by the difficulty in accessing the facility (one has to drive through the Goodwill Store parking lot), and by the fact that there is a railroad track right next to the motel.

However, my stay was surprisingly pleasant. My room was clean, the bed was comfortable, the presence of a small refrigerator and a microwave helpful, and wireless high speed internet availability a plus.

I did not encounter one rude employee, all being courteous and helpful.

I am in agreement with previous reviewers of this Comfort Inn, including the recommendation to ask for a room on the parking lot side, rather than the railroad track side.

After reading TripAdvisor reviews of a couple of the Menominee, Michigan, hotels/motels, I would conclude that the ten minute drive from the Marinette, WI, Comfort Inn across the Menominee River to Menominee, MI, is worth the drive.

• Stayed October 2007, travelled on business
Rochester, Mi
Reviewed 6 September 2007

We drove by this hotel (after making our reservations on line) and both of us thought we could do better. The outside is very non-assuming and the building is literally right next to the railroad tracks. However, there were no available rooms elsewhere so we ended up staying here. Best decision we made! The room was recently renovated, comfy bed with crisp linens and large fluffy towels. Everything was very clean. The front desk staff was very helpful, especially when I had trouble accessing the wireless internet. I still wasn't successful but they provided a powerful computer in the lobby which worked fine for my needs. One area to improve would be the breakfast. The pastries and breads tasted a little stale, but there was a waffle maker. Also, no elevator. We'll stay here again. Do be sure to request a room on the parking lot side, though.

• Liked — Clean room and nice linens
  • Disliked — Breakfast
  • Stayed August 2007
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 2 February 2006

We stayed here for the first time. Found it to be very clean, and the beds were very comfortable. Nice continental breakfast in the am. Good value. The train is, literally, right almost next to the hotel, but we didn't hear any trains after 9pm. Would stay there again, just might ask to have a room on the opposite side of the tracks.

• Stayed January 2006
1 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 22 June 2005

The hotel was fine except for the train tracks that run the length of the hotel. The rumble of the train isn't so bad, it's the whistle that will scare you out of bed. (This is not a joke.)

• Stayed May 2005, travelled on business
5 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Also consider these accommodations in or near Marinette
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Marinette
#2 of 2 in Menominee
BEST WESTERN Maritime Inn
BEST WESTERN Maritime Inn
#6 of 17 in Sturgeon Bay

Been to Baymont Inn & Suites Marinette? Share your experiences!