“No place on earth like it and at such reasonable prices.”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Mauston
Woodside Ranch Resort
Reviewed 28 January 2013

My grandson and I haven't been there since 2010 but I can't believe some of these reviews (negative). If you have a special diet that you follow, the site has noted that they are more than willing to accommodate you. Every meal that we've had there does have a vegetable and/or a salad. All you have to do is mention at time of reservation and if you forget, just give them a call. As far as the cabins, our experience has been nothing short of wonderful. . .tennis, basketball, horseshoes, boating, swimming,. . .If you want to do something not noted, again, just ask and they'll try to accommodate you. It is preferable though if you can try to make a request before you get there. I'm surprised that no one reviewing has mentioned that they have their OWN movie theatre, and free popcorn! If you're not interested in the evening activities, just talk to Bob and usually an arrangement can be made as they have numerous videos, or bring your own, as long as everyone in attendance agrees. . .I remember Columbus Day Weekend, 2010, there were three families watching really bad horror files but that was the point. . .they were supposed to be horrible!!! I myself don't ride to the morning breakfast but they have provided a covered wagon to accommodate those that don't want to ride. I'm old and the problem is not getting on the horse but getting back on the horse so this works well for me while the grandson goes on the horseback ride.

If you're looking for anything but rustic and relaxing, activities (too many to count), they do have a TV room and computer room for those that can't go away without technology. If this doesn't appeal to you, I would suggest you go somewhere else but for 99.9 percent of us, this works just fine.

By the way, the cole slaw is home made and the first on Friday is unbelievable!

Room Tip: We prefer Old 99 cabin personally.
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled with family
5  Thank Blcohen

Reviewed 1 January 2013

My 11 year old and I spent 4 nights here arriving on Christmas Day. The ranch was lovely with the recent snowfall and holiday decorations. We spent our days riding the wonderful horses and sledding. My son literally would spend the entire day outside playing ( yes there is still an activity that does not involve electronics!) and it was so cold you couldn't make a snowball. It was quiet just one other family from FL experiencing a snow filled vacation. Vince and the other chefs cooked up some delicious meals and the young activities coordinators made sure the kids had options for group activities. Is it rustic and frozen in time? Totally but personally I love to show my son that it doesn't have to be new and sparkly to be awesome. While it was cold we bundled up and enjoyed the trail rides. Maybe because we were small groups we did do a lot of trotting. We would totally go back in the summer.

Stayed: December 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Dsquared512
Reviewed 4 August 2012

I must admit that I was a little leary going here after reading the last few reviews. However, my daughter and I had a fabulous time and enjoyed ourselves immensely. We spent most of our days in the saddle....you can come in from a 45 minute ride and get on the very next ride going out--pretty cool. You can also pick out your own horse. The rides are scenic and quiet but the word "gallop" is a dirty word. We had done a dude ranch in Wyoming last year and the galloping was a very thrilling part. The best they'll do is an occasional trot--a bummer. To Brian's credit, he realized we were a bit frustrated by the slow pace and he sent my daughter and me on our own ride w/a couple of wranglers. Very cool and it was a tremendous memory. The breakfast ride is pretty special...love riding to made -to- order breakfast and eating outside(I even enjoyed it in a bit of rain). This breakfast was good(biscuits and gravy after a morning ride?? Awesome...Cowboy time!) and filled me up until dinner. The other food was fine. Nothing special but absolutely no complaints--I wasn't hungry/disappointed at any time. Get there on time,though because they serve on time...the dining room was emptying out after about 15-20 minutes. It's luck of the draw who you sit with and that can be good and bad(adds to the charm of the trip, I think). After being around horses all day I wasn't expecting to drag my dirty body into a 5star room. Our cabin was fine. Clean and I wasn't bothered by the decor...it's kinda what ya gotta expect at a dude ranch. It was quiet and relaxing...it was nice to read at night w/no phone or TV. Was there a board between my mattresses? Yes but I was tired and I slept fine in the clean bed.....riding horses all day will do that for you. Didn't do too many activities....you can do as many as you want or none at all. They looked kind of lame but maybe that was just us. No matter because we were still highly entertained the whole time. There is something for everybody. I was disappointed that you had to pay over a buck to play pool--that should be free. The swimming pool was clean and it's hooked up to the bar so a cold Bud by the pool after a hot day of riding was nice. The staff was friendly and helpful. All in all, I thought this trip was money well spent. Our cabin's name was "Memories" and that's what we got.....good ones

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
3  Thank Gus M
Reviewed 3 August 2012

This is the second year that we have gone to Woodside and will be going back next year.
This is not a 5 star hotel. Expect to get dirty. No Tv, phones in rooms. Cabins have not been remolded since the 60's but clean. You will not spend much time in the cabins because of all there is to do. The main attraction is the horses, pool and daily actives.
Food is good comfort food like meatloaf, lasagna, spaghetti, fried chicken, and cowboy BBQ ect..

Also the horses were not eaten alive, and I asked why they don't use the fly spray. It is made with a diesel fuel base that is not good for the horses on the long term.
Thanks Brian and Greg for the great job you do with the horses. Also thank you to Adam for the trail rides. Hope to see you all next year.

To those of you that want a 5 star hotel go some were else. For those of you that want a great time with the family this is your place.

One thing that they could do to update the cabins is get new furniture.

Room Tip: Ask for a cabin east of the post and pool they are newer.
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Deannaoswego39
Reviewed 10 July 2012

I am a lifelong Wisconsinite raised not too far from Mauston WI. I had never heard of the Woodside Ranch but went to a family reunion there in June 2012. I was appalled at the room conditions I found. My lodge room was so dated that I did not even turn lights on for very long as I was afraid to get too good a look at it. I noticed a lack of any documentation in the room attesting to inspection, etc. The tub was multicolored from rust, and old age and dripping water from the faucet. Although meals were included, as were all the horse and animal activities, we did not partake of any of those--meals yes, activities no. The two nights we spent there were so expensive that I asked to be removed from the mailing list and never wish to return. The food was nothing special --school hot lunch variety. This is not a place for couples without kids or for couples not interested in animal activities. Truly the four legged creatures had better accommodations-new barns and updated plumbing and sleeping quarters than did we two legged creatures. Don't be fooled by the website. The highway that runs through it is very noisy and very close to the lodge. You ride a hay wagon thru the woods to get to breakfast every morning. Don't miss the bell or you miss your meal. No tvs, no radios, no amenities in the rooms in the lodge.

Room Tip: AVOID too costly and too barren
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
8  Thank VASQUEZ
Reviewed 22 June 2012

We have been going to Woodside Ranch for many years until our last visit. We were on a trail ride and the bugs were awful, the poor horses were eaten alive. I ask one of the employees who were trail riding with us and he said the new owner, who is from LA, is pretty cheap and wouldn't buy fly spray for the horses. We will never return to Woodside until they atleast give those poor horses so fly spray. They were being eaten alive and it was terrible to see them like that. It's too bad because the horses are the main reason most of us go there.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
5  Thank michelle j
Reviewed 14 May 2012

my wife and me just left the ranch last Friday, we were there for our honeymoon.All I can say is that we LOVED it there, the staff were so nice to us and the food was out of this world. Thanks woodside for a great week and we WILL be back next year.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Bill N
Also consider these accommodations in or near Mauston
Quality Inn
Polynesian Resort Hotel
Polynesian Resort Hotel
#59 of 75 in Wisconsin Dells
Best Western Ambassador Inn & Suites
Best Western Ambassador Inn & Su...
#3 of 75 in Wisconsin Dells
Voyageur Inn and Conference Center

Been to Woodside Ranch Resort? Share your experiences!