“City Life to Country Life”

and 1 more site!
Woodside Ranch Resort
Downey, California
“City Life to Country Life”
Reviewed 4 February 2014

This place is amazing! I've been here twice and I can't begin to describe the awesome time I had here. It's like going to the old west with great friendly staff that make your stay very confortable. I live in the city and going to a cabin style accomodations was a very nice experience. You feel like you are in another era and all the burdens of city life have been lifted.

I had never been on a horse before and the wranglers were very friendly and made my daily trips a wonderful experience. The morning ride and breakfast in the open air were my favorite.

They also have modern amenities like a pool, theater and a bar just in case you miss the city. I can't wait to go back again!

Room Tip: Get mosquito repelant and ask for a mini fridge to keep your beverages cold.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple

Solo
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Reviewed 27 November 2013

Enjoyed this ranch experience with a group. The staff were welcoming, friendly, and accommodating to all. Cabin style accommodations enhanced the experience. Horse wranglers were friendly and knowledgeable and horses were well cared for. This is a great experience, especially for children and families.

• Stayed October 2013
Bismarck, North Dakota
Reviewed 29 October 2013

This is the letter I wrote for the Woodside Staff after this years trip:I wanted to send a quick note of thanks for the wonderful vacation we had this summer. My family has been going to woodside for about 2o years now. When my sisters were younger my folks would take them, and now that I have children we have taken them twice as well. I had written when we booked the days that my sons had chosen Woodside over a Disney vacation, much to my happiness. And sitting at dinner the other day our 12 year old said he really hoped we could go again next summer, and that the whole family could be there. That Woodside was the best place to have a reunion. And I agree. They fished, swam, rode horses (especially Pinky, Patrick's favorite), hiked, hung out with family, made some new friends. Hung out in front of campfires and fireplaces. Those are the moments they will carry with them for a lifetime, the stories they will share with their own children, and maybe even bring them to Woodside as well. Three generations stood outside the barn, together, and all agreed that the best place on earth was not a plastic playground in Florida but a dusty trail in Wisconsin. That the smell of horses and fresh bread feeds your soul. So, thank you again, and we hope to see you all again soon.
I really do think that every penny spent on a trip to Woodside will be more than doubled in memories and just the joy of the experience. My siblings and now our children tell Woodside stories, they talk of favorite horses and adventures. They created experiences that will stick with them. I would recommend Woodside, I have recommended it, and we will go every chance we can.

Room Tip: We like the "newer" cabins verses the Lincoln style ones, but that is our family. They are...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank EJLitton
Bartlett, Illinois
Reviewed 26 October 2013

My family and I just spent the most amazing weekend at Woodside Ranch. We have been going in October for 19 years, and have never once been disappointed. This year was no exception.
My granddaughters are so comfortable down at the barn that we are hard pressed to get them to leave. The wranglers are so good to them, and have taught them a real respect for the horses. I can not say enough about Brian and Maryann. We have so much fun with Maryann, and Brian always sees to it that the guests are safe, and happy.
The food at Woodside is all home cooked, and served family style. The breakfast ride is the bet part of the day, and the food amazing.
Customer service is better than ever at the ranch. Morgan will go out of her way to make your stay comfortable.
All and all, I can recommend Woodside Ranch to families that want to spend some quality time enjoying nature, a comfortable bed, good food, and horseback riding in a beautiful setting.

Room Tip: The cabins are great for families that all want to stay together, but the bunkhouse is roomy, comfor...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 25 September 2013

I would love to write a four-star review of Woodside, as my family has been coming here for four generations, starting with my grandmother in the 1940s or 50s. My family spent this past weekend there for the first time in several years and had a lovely first day. However, an entirely preventable trauma occurred on our second morning at the ranch as we prepared to set off on the breakfast ride. The horses’ saddles were not properly secured.

We were instructed to mount our horses in the usual place. When my father attempted to mount his horse, his saddle slipped sideways off the horse’s back, causing him to fall onto his side. My mother called to him, received no response, called for help, saw no employees around to help, and proceeded to dismount. Her saddle also slipped off as she dismounted, causing her to fall directly on one knee. My mother will require surgery and we do not yet know about my father. Although their injuries are serious, I am thankful for so many things - that their falls occurred while their horses were stationary, that their horses did not kick them when they fell, that we were not trotting through the forest at the time.

It is amazing to us as experienced horse riders that some employee(s) did not do something so simple to basic safety as secure the saddles. Whether it was due to management’s lack of training, an employee's lack of skills, or some other factor, I do not know, but their negligence could have led to one or both of my parents’ death or paralysis.

I have been leaving messages for management for two days now and have received no response.

If the other two guests who were there at the time read this, please contact me so that I can take your statements as witnesses. I only know your first names, Ralph and Joyce.

Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
16 Thank Wanderlust368
Reviewed 15 September 2013

A friend and I went to Woodside for 5 days. We had so much fun and took advantage of the 6 trail rides offered each day. The Wranglers are outstanding! The horses love people and to be petted. There are activities each day and night. We participated I'm the evening activities. It's our third time there and we will go back. Breakfast ride daily, best pancakes ever!

• Stayed September 2013
1 Thank Horsecrazygir
Oswego
Reviewed 12 September 2013

Another fun family vacation. This was our 3rd year at Woodside and booked year four before we left. Staff friendly as always, thanks Brian, Maryann and Adam for a great job you do with the horses.
The first morning I woke up to no hot water in our cabin shower. I let the staff know and they had it fixed just after lunch.
New bed frames in our cabin this year that they are making out of old trees from the property. I was told that they are hoping to have beds and bunk beds for all the cabins done by next spring.
A few things that need updating are the bedding, blankets,sheets, pillows and spreads.

This year I was sad to see that Vince the chef was gone. The new chef has kept a few of chef Vince items on the menu but has gone to cold sandwiches and salad at lunch instead of the hot lunches we use to get. A few days at lunch we seemed to have been served leftovers from a few days earlier pulled pork. Desserts didn't have much taste and were disappointing. But the chicken he made was great.
I am sure that the staff will be working hard this winter to make corrections and upgrades.
See you all next Year.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Deannaoswego39
Also consider these accommodations in or near Mauston
Quality Inn
Quality Inn
#3 of 4 in Mauston
Best Western Park Oasis Inn
Best Western Ambassador Inn & Suites
Best Western Ambassador Inn & Su...
#4 of 74 in Wisconsin Dells
AmericInn Hotel & Suites New Lisbon
Super 8 Mauston
Super 8 Mauston
#2 of 4 in Mauston
Christmas Mountain Village
Christmas Mountain Village
#30 of 74 in Wisconsin Dells

Been to Woodside Ranch Resort? Share your experiences!