The Audubon Inn
Priceline
US$123
US$115
Hotels.com
No availability for your dates from our partners
All reviewshoricon marshturn down serviceblackened catfishclassic roomthird floorfour poster bedlemon waterwhirlpool tubhistoric hotelturn of the centurystained glasssitting roomnola restaurantnice sitting areamodern amenitiesboat tourwonderful weekend
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 28 May 2014 via mobile

I would had rated this place lower due to the previous owner and poor management... The Audubon is under a new owner and has been reopened for about 5 weeks now.

The food is much better than before... The food is more of Cajun them due to the chef being from New Orleans... I had blackened catfish and it was amazing.

I have always has had excellent bar tenders and waitress but they come and go because of the previous management.... Hopefully it's not repeated.

The bar is one of the neatest I've seen.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Stolly77
AudubonInn, Owner at The Audubon Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 30 May 2014

Hello Stolly, thank you for returning to experience the "new" Audubon Inn and NOLA North Grille. We have worked very hard over the past few months to revitalize the hotel and restaurant to be the destination landmarks that this region deserves.

I am thrilled to hear that you love the new look of the bar, thought the food was amazing, and noted that our service staff was excellent. It's a shame that despite these achievements, we received only a three star rating due to your impressions of previous ownership. Today is a new chapter for this special place, and we look forward to earning your trust over time.

Great photos, by the way!

Reviewed 24 April 2014

We just spent a wonderful two nights at the Audubon Inn in Mayville, WI this past week. The stay was to a part of Wisconsin we had not explored previously. The area, the Inn, and the Inn’s restaurant exceeded our expectations. The Audubon Inn has recently been acquired by Keith Hill and we can see great things are in process. At check in we were greeted, walked to our room, and in the evening enjoyed coffee/treats each in the lobby.

The bar, restaurant, and lobby were recently renovated with great attention to details. The stained glass windows of the bar and restaurant are a cross between church and marsh nature. The food served in the bar (opened only 2 days prior to our arrival; restaurant to open soon) were truly a New Orleans religious experience – gumbo, shrimp po’boy sandwich, parmesan garlic fries, andouille sausage sandwich, bread pudding with homemade ice cream – we genuflect to the chef (a recent transplant from New Orleans). The menu also offered more local fare. The entire staff (Inn and bar) was very accommodating to any of our needs. You can tell much time has been spent finding the right personnel.

The area has much to offer. The downtown area is quaint and very walk-able; all built along the Rock River. Anyone with an interest in nature can spend hours bird watching and hiking the trails of the Horicon Marsh just a few miles from the Inn. Personnel at the Horicon Visitor’s Center were also helpful and informative.

We look forward to many return trips.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Jim_Mary_Lou_H

Jim & Mary Lou, you are both terrific and we truly appreciate your support. Can't wait to see you again! The menu has continued to grow and we are looking forward to our grand re-opening celebration on 5/31. We also have omelettes and crepes in the Cafe on the weekends! See you soon.

Reviewed 5 April 2014

We just came home after spending a wonderful night at Audubon Inn. Keith was extremely nice and welcomed us. The room was nice and beds were comfortable. I would recommend staying there. Disappointed that the restaurant wasn't open yet, and will go back when it does.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Linda B

Thanks so much for the great review, Jasper. The restaurant is open and thriving! We look forward to your next visit.

Reviewed 3 April 2014

A friend and I took advantage of an off-season special for a writer retreat last month. It was the perfect venue. Mid-week was quiet, my room was spacious, uncluttered and immaculate, and my bed was very comfortable. The whirlpool was wonderful!

Although Keith (who had owned the inn for just a month) was embarking on a renovation, there was absolutely no inconvenience to the guests. The inn's newly remodeled restaurant and bar were not yet open so we ate at a Chinese place and a pub that leaned toward Italian and Irish food. Both were wonderful; big-city quality for smaller-town prices.

My husband and I are returning next weekend for a couples getaway.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
3  Thank Anne B

Thank you, Anne. Can't wait to see you again, and hear your thoughts after you have experienced the restaurant!

Reviewed 20 March 2014 via mobile

I stayed here a last week. I wanted to get out of Chicago for some peace and quiet. Keith the new owner was just the best. He always made sure I was comfortable and had everything I needed. My room was beautiful and very clean. Keith is working hard on this place and you can tell.
There isn't much to do in Mayville, but every person I came in contact with was overwhelmingly kind. It was a nice change of pace from crazy Chicago.
The only reason I didn't give it five stars is because the bar and restaurant are not open yet.
I will be going back at some point for more R&R.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo