Walking Iron Bed and Breakfast
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation but we can search other options in Mazomanie
See available hotels
Bel-Aire Motel(Mazomanie)
Cedarberry Inn(Sauk City)
View Hotel
Skyview Motel(Prairie du Sac)
View Hotel
Spring Valley Inn(Spring Green)
View Hotel
Village Inn Motel(Mount Horeb)
View Hotel
Spring Green Motel(Spring Green)
  • Pool
All reviewsb bcrane foundationgreat hostsperiod pieceswhirlpool tubblack earthquiet areawonderful weekendvery nice staycomfortable bedsupstairs libraryvictorianamenitiesthomsonbnbprivacybaraboo
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 8 May 2007

The Walking Iron B&B is an exceptional place to visit. The Innkeeper with whom I had contact, David Friske (who co-owns/manages this lovely B&B with his spouse), never seemed rushed during his interractions with guests – the relaxing tour upon arrival, conveyance of ‘house rules’ and amenities of the Walking Iron’s ‘footprint’ (e.g., four floors of rooms, contiguous acreage including floatable trout stream, wrap-around porch, and gardens), and overview of the neighborhood, community, and region. This fabulous mansion has been impeccably restored over a period of 10+ years. As one who had done a fair amount of restoration on my own home, and has advised and assisted others in same over period of 40+ years, it was truly refreshing to see period restoration and attention to detail clearly integrated during rehabilitation – and with love and appreciation for this unique property by the owners! David’s sincere enthusiasm is obvious during his historical perspective on the mansion and surrounding areas during our tour, and is casually embellished during the fine breakfast. Please review the Walking Iron website -- it is well-designed, informative, and navigates easily. I also encourage you to read the reviews posted on TripAdvisor by other visitors to the Walking Iron; all add a bit of personal perspective, and all mirror my experiences. Hey: set aside some quality time to relax in the open, uncongested, rolling terrain of south-central Wisconsin; stay at the Walking Iron, from which you can/should base your local and regional excursions -- whether it be to Baraboo (Devil’s Lake St. Pk.), Black Earth (shoes), New Glarus (a Swiss experience), Mount Horeb (mustard museum), Monroe (brews and cheeses), or a canoe / kayak trip down to / along the lower reaches of the Wisconsin River. I certainly intend to return to the Walking Iron for more memorable experiences, and believe you would do same after your first visit!

• Stayed: April 2007, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed 1 May 2007

Highly Recommended. Place. People. Performance. This place has it all! The innkeepers themselves restored this extraordinary house to highlight its architectural splendor. And innkeepers they are - warm, welcoming, professional, interesting, and really nice!! Just the folks you want to be innkeepers forever so you can bank on endless opportunities for return visits of the same quality. Treat yourself to the varied ways to relax and indulge in this lovely Southern Wisconsin retreat. Their place is all grace and beauty.

• Stayed: April 2007
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank GratefulGuestWest
Reviewed 13 April 2007

My husband and I stayed at the Walking Iron Inn for our wedding anniversary. We were greeted at the door by the owner who proceeded to give us a tour of this beautifully restored house and answer any questions we had. He took us to our room, which was lovely and so welcoming. We were the only guests that night, so we had the whole house to ourselves! The third floor library has shelves stocked with books and DVD's. There is also an exercise room and sauna in the lower level . The weather was unusually mild for Wisconsin in March, so we were able to sit and relax on the porch in the evening and the next morning. The breakfast in the morning was outstanding, and the french toast was some of the best I've ever had. I wish I had the recipe! The house has a warm and inviting feel to it, and I would love to return to the Walking Iron Inn in the summer to see the gardens. Our stay is one we won't forget. Oh, I almost forgot to mention the huge, luxurious bathroom with a deluxe whirlpool. Absolutely gorgeous!

• Stayed: April 2007, travelled as a couple
1  Thank toried
A TripAdvisor Member
Brookfield, Wisconsin
Reviewed 16 December 2005

This is a beautifully restored home, rich in history and charm. The owners were able to find photos of the house from the state historical society so they had excellent documentation on how to restore it. The hosts are wonderful, gracious and accomodating. The rooms are charming and very comfortable. This is the most pleasant B&B getaway I have ever had. We will be going back to see it in the warmer weather. There is an exercise area, a sauna (which you may reserve) and a massage table in a private room in which a certified massage therapist comes in upon request. My wife suprised me with this treat and even though it was very short notice they were able to accomodate us.

• Stayed: December 2005
2  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
A TripAdvisor Member
Hudson, WI
Reviewed 24 August 2004

This is an incredible B & B! The restoration of the house is magnificent and the hospitality of the owners is second to none! Ine of the best B & Bs I have ever been to.

2  Thank A TripAdvisor Member