“So disappointed!”

Ranked #10 of 19 Restaurants in McFarland
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 8 April 2012

We came to Madison for Easter and met family at The Maple Leaf based on several recommendations, as we were looking for a brunch destination. Where do I start? The place was busy, which I took to be a positive sign. But the cream was curdled, the buffet was small and cold, and the fruit was not ripe. The only thing that was tasty and warm were the biscuits and gravy, which were surprisingly excellent. The bathroom was disgusting. The toilet had overflowed and the floor was soaking wet. The price was economical, but I will never go back here.

1  Thank Jessica B

Reviewed 22 March 2012

We had a meeting there with dinner and it was just so-so, really nothing to brag about.

Reviewed 2 November 2011

I live in Mcfarland and I have been to every restaurant in town more than once, and maple tree is the best, yes the over all decore may be out dated, but I go there for great food and service and drinks, at a really great price, not to look at the walls, if you want fancy art to look at then go to Madison and pay 8.00 for a old fashion instead of 4.00 and you can pay 25.00 for a steak in Madison instead of 16.00. Maple tree is a good place to get a good drink and a delicious meal! I would not go anywhere else!

2  Thank snowgrl4evr
Reviewed 30 September 2011

I have to laugh at that one positive review written where the reviewer suggests lobster. It sounds more like an advertisement to me. Possibly the owner himself wrote this review. I personally have not had too much trouble with seating or timeliness of the order and delivery. But, the food is very similar to Country Buffet, lack of variety and quality, and they do not cater to those with allergins. The place has a historical life to preserve. Get a facelift, following the newest FDA standards and suggestion in regard to cleanliness, quality, and allergins. Hire outside of your family dynamics for God sake, and earn the money to create a larger parking lot, as you'll need one after you make the above changes.

1  Thank Sandy M
Reviewed 8 May 2011

This was my second time at the Maple Tree restaurant in McFarland. The first time we were there was several years show with my wife and child. There had always been a lot of cars in the parking lot, so we thought it must be good and tried it out. The food was mediocre at best, and reminded me of Old Country Buffet, but worse, more expensive, worse service and worse atmosphere. I vowed not to return.

Unfortunately for me, my vow was broken today. It had been several years though, so I kept an open mind and went in with low expectations, but hoping for the best and some improvements over the last time we were there. Being Mother's Day, my mother in law called ahead for reservations 2 days in advance. Yesterday, my wife called to confirm the reservations and also to make sure that they had a spot available for a high chair for our 2 year old son. Oddly, they could not find the reservation and my wife needed to make a new one. When we arrived there today, they did not have our reservation again, but were still able to sit us promptly, which was the best thing about the entire experience.

They sat us directly next to what was apparently their back door, which people kept going in and out of throughout our meal, which was rather distracting and annoying. Turns out that their smoking patio is right outside of that door, so if you do go here, ask to be sat somewhere else, unless you want to have this annoyance or want to take advantage of the smoking patio yourself. Also right next to our table was the bathrooms, which increased traffic by our table significantly.

The high chair that they got for us was broken, so I found another one that wasn't. Unfortunately, the second one was VERY sticky and I had to wash it and my hands before placing our son in it.

The restaurant itself is very poorly lit, which is a good thing as it hides the aging decor and the overall dirtiness of the place. The chairs were torn and in poor conditioned, the floors were stained, and things just didn't seem clean overall.

Being that it was Mother's Day, they had a buffet of food and not a menu. The buffet was also poorly lit, especially the salad bar, which just seemed odd. I personally did not have a salad and instead went right for the dinner items. The options I remember were fried chicken, popcorn shrimp, mashed potatoes, canned corn, and stuffing. At first, I did not even realize there was corn as it looked like there as just a bin full of water, but after moving the spoon around and digging, I found the corn. I stocked up on the shrimp, the corn, the stuffing, and the mashed potatoes. There was also bread up there, but all that was left was the ends, and I don't really care for the ends, so I avoided that on my first trip up there.

I love corn, so I started with that. Wow, was it simply terrible. I have had better corn in a Hungry Man dinner. I moved on to the shrimp. It was OK, but not something I would expect from a restaurant. It was cooked in a way where parts that you would normally be able to eat were simply too hard to chew and had to be spit out. With the volume of shrimp I took though, I was able to get enough that was edible to fill my appetite. The stuffing was salty and very gooey. The mashed potatoes were OK. My son, who also loves corn asked to have some of mine, so I gave him some and he promptly spit it out, so I know I was not the only one who didn't like it.

I went back up about 25 minutes later to get some bread as I figured they would have gotten that figured out by now, but it was obvious that no one from the staff was paying any attention to the buffet. There were still the ends of bread available (less this time) but not the middle pieces out on display. The corn was still buried with water and the only thing that seemed like they were refilling or maintaining was the fried chicken, which by this time was overflowing with chicken.

My wife and her mom and sister had the chicken and said it was overcooked and tough. The saving grace was the cookies which most of the family had. They only had chocolate chip though and I am not a chocolate fan, so I was out of luck.

We were all very disappointed overall in the experience and will never be going back. We spoke with our neighbor tonight about it and asked him if he ever went there and he had a very similar response that we had and also said he would not be going back there.

My mother in law called there after our poor experience and spoke with a manager about the experience we had and he was very standoffish, non apologetic, and rude. Very disappointing.

1  Thank tis-trip