“"Clean - But Terrible Bed"”
Review of Badger Hotel

Badger Hotel
Ranked #4 of 4 Hotels in Merrill
Reviewed 10 June 2013

Let us start with the plus factors. The room was clean and the bath and shower were clean and all things were in working order. The staff was friendly and efficient. The price was average. This being said, there are some things that can bring down the rating of the establishment quickly. That would be the furnishings. First of all when I sat in the recliner in the room I almost sunk down to the floor. Maintaining a semi-consistent room temp proved to be challenging. Now for the most important of all, the bed. My wife and I felt like we were sleeping on a concrete slab. I can only hope that the ownership is in the process of renovating rooms. The room was outdated and the TV was looked as old as the room. If you plan to stay and they offer room 103, ask to check it out first.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Bruce M

Reviewed 31 March 2013

Pro: very clean hotel!
Big con: most inhospitable place ever. In booking I was confused with all sorts of differing prices w very minimal room descriptions, so I decided to call them directly. I had the hotels website in front of me w various discounts but that told me more than the lady at the desk was able to. Finally she gave me a rate that was only a couple of dollars more than the rate I qualified for ($80. vs $78), so I avoided further hassle and just said fine & booked it. When we arrived, another lady was agitated that we were quoted lower rate than she felt we should have been & said we should pay an additional fee for our adult daughter, too. She made me feel like we were cheating them. I simply stated that I had been totally forthcoming about the 3rd person and said that was why I had booked a room with a bedroom & livingroom in the 1st place...AND if they looked at their own website, I actually paid more than posted for a state employee. She begrudgingly charged me for the 2 nights & gave me the key.
Entered the room upstairs (no elevator) to find a VERY dated, basic (used to be a super 8), low rent unit; bath, narrow room with a sofa, tube tv & chair with a tiny adjacent room holding a bed, tube tv on a stand, & 1 nightstand with hardly enough room to walk around the bed...yes clean but totally low end without any appealing elements. The bed was rock hard & painful, the nasty pullout sofa with a thin, tattered, saggy, lumpy sofa was terrible & painful as well.
In the morning at 9 going down to breakfast, I was accosted by 2 ladies who impatiently wanted to know if we wanted the room made up, because we were the only people staying on the 2nd floor and they wanted to finish up. As my daughter was sleeping, I said they wouldn't have to straighten the room but we'd need more towels (thin & small) after taking our showers.
Breakfast was awful (surprise!) too...orange juice that was 2/3 water, 2 cereal dispensers that had Kellogg's box fronts taped to them contained cheap generic cereal, a case of dry breads, tasteless waffles, weak coffee...
Found that the little fridge in the room had not been cooling all night so went to the desk for help because we had perishables . Again the unfriendly, unhelpful treatment...housekeeping gone, manager gone, no authority to make any changes, maybe I did something wrong...no resolution.
Easter Sunday, rushing around to help my aunt in the nursing home I was there to visit, I raced back to check out by noon...only to be confronted at 11:15 with one of these ladies at the door harshly asking when we would leave as checkout was at 11. I apologized about the confusion and said we'd leave within 15 mins. (Since the hotel couldn't have had more than 10% occupancy, I'm sure it was just a matter of nastiness & not because they needed the room at 11 sharp)
I could get past the poor value and depressing decor, but the attitude we received from start to finish was insulting and inexcusable. I stopped by the econolodge & americinn hotels across the street; got a lovely reception by both desk clerks who cheerfully even showed me their rooms (nicer) & invited me to stay there next visit. Heaven knows, I've been badgered by the badger hotel for the last time.

Room Tip: don't!o
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank cherigo
Reviewed 14 March 2013

My only reason for not giving a higher rating is because I always believe there is room for improvement. I stayed at this place years ago when it was linked to another national chain, of which I am a member of their rewards program - with a location in Tomahawk where we've stayed twice a year. Now frequently booked up and asking near premium prices, we opted to save nearly $20/night and stay at the Badger Hotel in Merrill. Hot Belgian waffle breakfast included - like the other place - but much quieter because of its solid construction. Main floor is the top floor, so access is easy - and no thumping of kids running down the halls (kids are not to be in halls after 10p here - thanks for letting us sleep) a big problem at the Tomahawk location. Staff was business-like, yet very friendly and cheerful - like you were the most important part of their day. Rooms were clean, comfortable - and had thermostat-controlled baseboard heat (as opposed to those silly heat/ac units that blow up the window curtain and ar so noisy). Along with a microwave and fridge, our room also had a small wet bar. SO convenient to other restaurants and a major discount retailer, this place also had the Bluejays Nest, a full-service bar and burger/pizza/apps restaurant that opened daily at 4p and serves food until 10p. After a long drive after work, we didn't have to leave again to go have beverage - or play some pool or darts. Suggestions? Add some protein to the breakfast offerings - yogurt, hard boiled eggs. Since it's off of a snowmobile trail, I'd have them ask those folks to avoid revving their machines up early morning or late at night - a simple sign near the exit would do. "Guests may be sleeping - Please don't rev your ride." We WILL be back! Thanks Joan!

Room Tip: Choose Main Floor - First Floor = Top Floor - for maximum quiet.
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Jim G
Reviewed 4 March 2013

Simple, inexpensive and very friendly staff. When we arrived, no one had checked the reservations website so our reservation was not in the book. The front desk person kept apologizing because the check in was an additional 3 minutes as a result. No big deal to us, but she upgraded us to the next best room to compensate us for the trouble. She didn't need to, but insisted. We enjoyed the hot tub and the pool, and the room was wonderful. If we stay in Merrill again, we will stay here.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Greg P
Reviewed 16 February 2013

My buddy and i stayed at the Badger Motel (be advised: previously a Super 8---it came up on our GPS as a Super 8) on our way up to Minoqua.....

Not too much to say about it as we were there just to crash as the road conditions were bad and it was getting late. Our room was a first floor double (not queens, but full beds) and paid about $70, with tax, for the nite... The beds were fairly comfortable.... TV was an old school CRT and the bathroom was serviceable. The fridge in the room didn't work, so we opted to keep our cold stuff in the car.... We didn't feel like bothering the rather unfriendly desk lady at midnite about it....

The breakfast was fair---waffle maker, dry cereal along with the regular standard issue motel breakfast items. No eggs, hot food or fresh fruit, except for a basket of red apples.... At any rate, it was enough to keep us going for much of the day.... We didn't use the pool, but from i could tell, it looked pretty decent...

In conclusion, the Badger Hotel is a adequate place to spend the nite along the Interstate, but i'm not sure i would recommend it as a base camp for a visit to the area. Also, I felt we paid a bit much for what we got---- $50 or $60/nite is a fairer price..... And finally, they don't offer discounts such as AAA, COSTCO etc...

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank StrangeTripper
Reviewed 5 November 2012 via mobile

This is the old Super 8 in Merrill WI. I had a clean, comfortable room for a great price. Staff is friendly, and check-in is easy. The Badger is well located just off the freeway, a few steps from great eateries like the Pine Ridge, which has the best breakfast in town, Culvers, and McDonald's. And the Badger has a great lounge, with beer, food, and big-screen TV.

• Stayed: November 2012
1  Thank Valuemgr140
Reviewed 6 October 2012

For the price-range, this was a nice hotel. We were part of an overall larger party who used several rooms between us. All of the rooms were decent - clean with all functional appliances/features/etc., It's 'old-school' as you may expect, complete with Zenith CRT-TV's. Still, a nice enough space.

Coffee/Tea/Hot Water is always available in the lobby, also where the free breakfast is served. Note - The breakfast is VERY minimal (though they do have a waffle-iron), so you may want to plan to supplement elsewhere.

The building feels secure, with side entrances requiring a key-card swipe to get in, and the front desk in the lobby always staffed. Staff were very polite and helpful, as well.

The pool was a bit chilly, and the hot tub was less-than-hot, but still enjoyable. The sauna needed to be turned on about 30 minutes before we wanted to use it to warm up, but that wasn't a huge issue for us.

No real complaints, and I'd definitely stay here again if I needed to be in the area.

NOTE: Train passes nearby in the wee hours of morning.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank JennaAndJosh
Also consider these accommodations in or near Merrill
AmericInn Lodge & Suites Merrill
#5 of 6 in Rothschild
Hampton Inn Wausau
Hampton Inn Wausau
#1 of 11 in Wausau

Been to Badger Hotel? Share your experiences!