“Econo means cheap.”

Econo Lodge Merrill WI
Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Merrill
Reviewed 30 July 2013

Ignore the negative reviews; this hotel is all that is expected when paying $60 for a room. The place is a bit dates but serves its purpose well. The beds are comfortable, the TV selection was fine, the linens were soft and the pool area was nice. The hotel was located in a nice area with access to Wal-Mart and a few restaurants. If I was looking for a cheap place to lay my head I would not hesitate to stay here again.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank ThisGuy54729
bob2716, Manager at Econo Lodge Merrill WI, responded to this reviewResponded 13 December 2015

Dear sir,

Bob Mehta
econolodge
715-536-9526

Reviewed 24 May 2013

Best part of our stay was leaving. Hotel was run down, but with right management, could have been alot better. There was a certain oppression I sensed in being there, and while it was mid-range in cost, the towels were threadbare and the beds were not as comfortable as many. They did try to be pleasant, so no problem with the front desk.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Tillary

Hello Tillary,

Thanks for Review our Hotel.

We considered your comments and did action on it, as result we changed the Towels and comfertable Beds also LED TV we just installed in all the Rooms.

Reviewed 20 November 2012

I stayed here three nights due to a family commitment in town. Thought I'd save a few bucks and went for the low rates. Unfortunately you get what you pay for. The continental breakfast was sadly lacking - cold cereal, toast, and day old danish. The bagels were dried out and sorry looking. The room was all right, but the bathroom was not clean. Even after a cleaning, it was not cleaned thoroughly. The walls were quite thin, and we were "entertained" by the nightly activities of our next door neighbor. The pool was closed, so we couldn't even use it. I will spend a few extra dollars next time and upgrade to a nicer place.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank travelfan144

We will consider your comments and will take action on it.

From last few months we are updating our Hotel, which will fulfill expectation of our customers.

Reviewed 4 September 2012

This is my second time staying at this property and it's the rate that brought me back. We try to make a weekend visit to some of our favorite Northern Wisconsin bike trails every summer and it's worth it for me to stay away from the tourist areas, drive in for the day to hike, bike, mini-golf or whatever, and return to our motel in the evening.

The Econo Lodge is convenient to the freeway, right next to a grocery store, gas, and fast food. It's quiet and has an indoor pool and whirlpool at a rate 40% lower than comparable hotels further north.

I don't expect too much from Econo Lodge, and this is a middle-ot-the-pack property for that chain. The desk clerk was efficient and friendly. The outside entrance door does not latch properly, so anyone could enter without a key. I didn't consider that a big deal in Merrill.

Our room was relatively clean, although I saw the need for a vaccum behind the nightstand and desk. This occured while I was looking for an available electrical outlet, of which there are very few. The lights could have been a bit brighter. One bed had a mattress that was OK, and the other bed needed replacement. The towels were relatively new. Everything in the room was in working order, if a bit dated or worn. The "flat screen TV" was actually an old picture-tube model (although technically the screen was flat).

Water pressure in the shower was very good, but the hot water was insanely hot, more so than I've encountered anywhere before. It took a while for hot water to reach our room , so they may have been trying to make up for a lack of supply. We never heard noise from other guests or the nearby businesses.

The pool appeared to be properly maintained. It was a bit cool but not bad. The whirlpool ran from good to a bit hot, and we only saw one other person using it the whole weekend. The reivew form asks about a fitness center, but there is none.

Breakfast was the bare Econo Lodge minimum: coffee (no decaf), 2 cereals, bananas, juice (orange only), bagels (1 kind) and bread (white only). I took one bite from a dried out danish and tossed the rest.

For accommodations alone I might have rated this 2 stars, but for this chain at a low rate they merit 3.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank CorpsofDiscovery

We will consider your comments and will take action on it.

From last few months we are updating our Hotel, which will fulfill expectation of our customers, such as LED TV, Beds and Cleaness.

Reviewed 20 June 2012

so ive stayed at alot of places all over and i found this to be reasonably priced and hassel free staff i usually go in pretty tired and like to b left alone...i slept well the cleanliness was ok not great but certainly not the worst....yup i'd do it again....

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled solo

Thanks for Review our Hotel.

I hope you will be happy on next stay with updated services.

Reviewed 10 June 2012

Just like all others I thought the staff was very helpful and nice. The rooms were clean and the beds were great. However, our room was not "furnished" with a microwave, fridge, coffee maker, or hair dryer. With three kids the fridge was needed during the 90 degree day. The pool and hot tub were dirty, could not let the kids swim. Internet access was unavailable or limited. Plus the signs say this is a smoke free building but multiple times the hallways were filled with smoke. We will not be staying here again. There are nicer places at just the same price just down the road.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family

We will consider your comments and will take action on it.

Yes, Our Hotel is 100% Smoke free but when customer did smoking out side and come inside carry smell of smoke. Anyway we have hall freshner in hall so now no smoke smell at Hallway.

Reviewed 9 June 2012

I made a mistake with a reservation booking at this hotel and the staff was amazing in helping me fix MY MISTAKE. Emily an employee at the hotel was as I said amazing. She helped me fix a reservation error I made when booking. Next time I visit Merrill, WI I will be staying at this hotel and recommend others to stay here too! When you have an staff so dedicated you know your visit will be nothing but perfect. I would just like to once again say wonderful customer service and thank you for all of your help. I look forward to visiting this hotel and the wonderful staff!!!

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
bob2716, Manager at Econo Lodge Merrill WI, responded to this reviewResponded 8 March 2013

Thank you for commenting about our staff service. We are glad you enjoyed your stay and hope to see you again.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Merrill
AmericInn Lodge & Suites Merrill
Rodeway Inn & Suites
Rodeway Inn & Suites
#3 of 4 in Tomahawk
Stoney Creek Hotel & Conference Center - Wausau

Been to Econo Lodge Merrill WI? Share your experiences!