“Nice staff, but needs major updates!”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of Devils Head Resort

Devils Head Resort
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Merrimac
Appleton, Wisconsin
“Nice staff, but needs major updates!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 July 2013

The resort is nicely located if you are doing events such as Dances With Dirt or Tough Mudder in the park, but this hotel needs serious updates. Room 258 had a false ceiling for the bathroom, the tv was an old tube 19 inch ( didn't matter since we didn't watch much tv), the bathtub/bathroom was old, dingy feeling and the tub needed a good scrubbing. The beds were alright, nothing much to brag about. The hallways of the hotel seemed very institutionalized, and the carpet needed redoing. Overall, the hotel could use some major overhauling. The pro's? The hotel room was very quiet (they have signs saying after 10:00pm is quiet time) and the air conditioner, while old, kept our room nicely chilled. The staff was very friendly with everyone saying hello.

Room Tip: Stay in the C wing. Very quiet.
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Alona H

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
Madison, Wisconsin, United States
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 June 2013

My fiance and I were interested in having our wedding reception at Devil's Head. After visiting and liking the venue, we wanted to book it. I contacted their events coordinator and he told us they do not do social bookings prior to one year in advance (I contacted him Nov 2012 for a June 2014 wedding) and he told me to contact him on June 1, 2013. I was in constant contact with him from November-May 2013 asking if policies have changed or if we could book the room sooner. He assured me the policies remained the same. However, when I contacted him on May 30 he stated that another group had first option on this date because they had "advanced reservations." Never in the six months of correspondence was I informed of the possibility of making advanced reservations or told that the date we were planning on was not an option. We had other things booked for the same date, assuming we would have the room at Devil's Head. Now we are scrambling to find something in the area that is not booked for the same date. It was simply bad business and I would not recommend working with them for any events important to you.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
6 Thank Colleen B

Travellers are raving about these Merrimac hotels

Shorewood, Illinois
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 June 2013

Spent a week here with the family golfing and really enjoyed it. The staff at the course was friendly and helpfull. The courses are beautiful with great views and challenging golf. Not to overly crowded and the price was great for 18 and a cart. Will definatley return. We rented a house across the street which was more suitable for the size of our group.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
Grafton, Wisconsin
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 May 2013

Each year I set up a Fri/Sat Golf Outing in early/mid May. We generally have 12 middle age guys and play 36 holes each day using the Spring Golf package. The rate includes 72 holes of golf at their Glacier and Prairie Golf Courses, dinner, breakfast, and a room. Under the guidance of Pro Dave Walsh, the course has improved in playability each year. He is very supportive in working with me in planning and the greens were greatly improved!

The dinner included was from the menu including steaks, fish, and a very good Mike Ditka's Pork Chop. We normally don't like the Chicago Bears, but 5 of us in the party ordered it...and wow! Service both at the restaurant and Bar was excellent and employees were courteous and supportive. My friend makes his own wine, but we wanted to use a wine glass instead of a plastic cup. The bar tender graciously helped us out and the wine was outstanding.

We are golfers, not skiers...and the rooms were clean and newly carpeted. For 12 guys golfing this place provides with with all we need...good golf, great food, a nice cocktail lounge, a place to play cards, and a comfortable bed! The only downside was when all 12 came down for an early breakfast, it seemed to take more time than usual...but food was great and we had no problem making our first tee time.

Bottom line, this place for a golf getaway is a GREAT value, with 2 challenging golf courses, and a very fine staff. if I wrote this review 3 years ago, it would have been more critical, but the management, and especially Dave Walsh, the Golf Pro, has made great efforts in improving our experience.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends
Chicago, Illinois
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 March 2013

Since Old Man Winter has decided to hang on this year, my family and I took a quick trip to Devil's Head for some very late season skiing. We were told in fact that in their history Devil's Head has never been open for skiing this late in the season ever.
While the skiing was great, the slopes were nicely groomed and the staff was courteous and helpful on the slopes, the lodge was quite another situation.

I realize it is the end of the season, but the hallways were filthy. I could see piles of dirt everywhere, not just in the corners, in every hallway. Those halls looked like they had not been vacuumed in weeks. I could also see where repairs have not been made timely. There was peeling paint and knicks in the walls in several places. Perhaps they wait until the end of the seaon when the halls are no longer impacted by careless skiers hitting the walls as they carry their equipment back to their rooms.

Also our room was dirty. The ceilings are vaulted and were covered in cobwebs. Not just one or two, there were at least 6 that I counted. The room was OK clean, but not super clean. At least this time I didn't find dirty underwear under the bed like I did several years ago when I had stayed there before. They could do a better job.

Also we were intially sent to a room on the first floor with a broken window that did not close. It was open at least a half an inch. That was the best we could do to close it. When I went to the front desk the clerk was clearly annoyed that I didn't want to stay in a room with a broken window on the first floor. I think she thought I was some kind of idiot who didn't know how to close a window. We had our wallets, purses, iPad and computer in the room. There was no way i was going to stay in a room that someone could simply hop into from the outiside. They should have apologized for putting us in a room with a broken window instead of treating me like I was asking for the world. I would lke to comment that the security guy was nice enough to help us move all of our stuff to the new room and the front desk staff in the morning was more pleasant.

It seems that time has taken it's toll on this resort. While it has never been an upscale elegant resort, now it just seems like an overtired Holiday Inn. It is a shame because their slopes are great for this area of the country.

Room Tip: A wing first floor does not require you to carry all of your gear up stairs. They have no elevators...
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank LVDDW
Chicago,Illinois
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 March 2013

A buddy and I drove up from Chicago for the weekday special ($145 for 1 night hotel room and two all day lift tickets).

Plenty of free parking and the check in was smooth. The rooms in the lodge building were simple and clean and the beds were comfy. I would rate it a 2.75 Star (between a Holiday Inn and Motel 6). Which is what we expected and were more than happy with.

The bars close around 10:30-11PM on weekdays because its slow which is understandable. Drinks start at $4.25 for domestics and go up to $9 for Johnny Walker Black. There is a fridge in the room and a table with 2 chairs so bring some beer, whiskey and a deck of cards. The TV in the room is tiny but they have ESPN.

Runs open at 10am on the weekdays and close at 9pm. That Friday we were there all the runs were open and all the lifts were open. The two new lifts are great, quick, comfortable and smooth. As far as the skiing it is geared towards green and blue skiers. The toughest run wasn't that tough at all. All the lift operators were super nice and the runs were VERY well groomed.

Lunch was your typical cafeteria fare, pretty much what you would find at your kids school program. The pizza was cardboard but hey what do you expect? All Ski resorts have the same type of food at the same price point. Its to be expected.

Overall we have a awesome trip to Devils Head and will be back in March if the snow keeps up. I don't understand all the terrible reviews, then again those people might be paying 2-3 times what we paid. I didn't try any of the fancy dining options or spa treatments but I can vouch for the runs, bar and rooms.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank ChicagoBearsFan11
Ashton IL
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 March 2013 via mobile

Really enjoyed our trip to Devils Head. Green slopes were very very easy but long enough to enjoy. We spent most of the day skiing blue/black slopes. Would be an excellent place for beginner skiers!!! Lift lines moved quickly. However we felt they ran their lifts too fast. We saw several experienced skiers struggle getting on and off the lifts. Skiing slopes increase in difficulty from left to right when looking uphill. Main lodge played good music on the deck - Provided a welcoming environment. Hills were well manicured with little ice. Only downfall, they do not host ski savings on Liftopia.com. absolutely plan to return!

• Stayed March 2013
Also consider these accommodations in or near Merrimac
BEST WESTERN Baraboo Inn
Quality Inn & Suites
Days Inn Portage
Days Inn Portage
#4 of 6 in Portage

Been to Devils Head Resort? Share your experiences!