“All about the skiiing”

Devils Head Resort
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Merrimac
“All about the skiiing”
Reviewed 16 February 2010

I agree with the reviews that say this hotel is worn out and in dire need of some renovations. Our stay here was pricey, and the accommodations were poor. Our television (which I had to watch most of the day due to a skiing incident--my fault) had only a scarce amount of channels and was incredibly small and dated. The walls are paper thin, as well. The breakfast buffet at Dante's did not have many options either. For what you pay, one would expect maybe hot pancakes or an omelet station (they have neither). The lobby and hallways smell like an old musty ashtray as well. On the positive side, they did have an entertaining band the evening we arrived. Other than that, expect zero luxury for an expensive stay.

• Stayed February 2010, travelled with friends
2 Thank I_Love_Traveling_26

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
Srose10
Reviewed 9 February 2010

Where to begin...a group of friends decided to plan a weekend ski trip and we reserved 2 rooms in the inn ahead of time. We probably paid over $2,000 between lodging, rentals and a 2-day lift ticket between all of us--not a cheap trip. Skiing was actually fun and we were all at different levels so there were a lot of runs to choose from. The nightmare began after we were done skiing and having a few overpriced and watered-down beverages (served to us by a girl who looked like she wanted to fight us). We ate at the buffet. The buffet was "pasta & pizza" and we didn't even see a pizza until we were about to leave. The pasta was cold and the rest of the selection was fried food. Not impressive.

We were having such a good time just being together that we overlooked the bad dining experience and ventured back to our rooms to call it a night. The rooms smelled and weren't very clean. We went to bed around 10:30 because we wanted to wake up early the next morning and hit the slopes. We had 2 rooms that were adjoining and we left the door open so we could chat with each other. Around midnight, a drunken girl was wondering down the hallway yelling various names at the top of her lungs. This went on for a good amount of time until I finally just drowned out the noise and went to sleep. About a half-hour later, I was startled awake by someone jumping on my bed and laughing uncontrollably. IT WAS THE STRANGER WHO WAS WANDERING THE HALLS! She had pushed open one of our doors, which didn't close correctly and didn't lock--when we thought it was! This girl was in our room, with everyone asleep, for a good amount of time without anyone knowing! Luckily we woke up and called security. The security man had the gall to not believe that the girl was not with us (because we appeared to be about the same age) and it took us yelling at him to take her away. We couldn't believe it! Therefore, the rest of the night we were unable to sleep. The next morning we politely went to the front desk and told them our story. The angry woman at the front desk, Veronica, acted astonished and disappeared for about 15 minutes to "check on it" and claimed she sent security up to check out the door and said there was nothing she could do because it looked fine and there was no manager on duty. Much to our astonishment, she NEVER sent anyone up to the rooms because the rest of our party was up there waiting. My friend then called down to the front desk and called Veronica out on her lie. She then proceeded to yell and call my friend names. When checking out, a manager was the one who helped us (there were actually 2 on duty and Veronica lied to us about that too). The manager acted upset and told us he'd take care of it.

There were plenty of families with young children on our floor and if the situation was a little different, something major could have easily taken place and no one on staff would have cared. My advice: stay at one of the local Days Inn or hotels nearby if you have to come to this place, it will be so worth it. If you have children, don't take this chance!!

• Stayed February 2010
2 Thank Srose10

Travellers are raving about these Merrimac hotels

Reviewed 1 January 2010

While the skiing at Devil's Head is really nice, the price they charge for their ski/lodging packages is way out of wack for what they provide. Two nights lodging will cost two adults $400-$450 above the cost of the lift tickets included in the package. Facilities are poor (dingy, dank, smelly)--which I could tolerate at a lower cost. And the meals included in the package I could do without. Though you get a "free" dinner, you pay a gratuity automatically calucated based on menu that lists every meal at $25 or more. (Perkins serves better dinners for 8 bucks; the superpretzels in the ski lodge make a better meal). Next time I want to ski Devil's Head, I'll stay at a hotel nearby. It won't be quite as convenient, but again, 2 adults save a minimum of $200-$250 and get much nicer accommodations. Savings go up w/ more people in your party since hotels charge rates per room and the resort charges per person.

• Stayed December 2009, travelled with family
1 Thank FunLifeChicago
Chicago suburbs
Reviewed 11 December 2009

I had to cancel a reservation two weeks in advance and they kept 20% of the deposit...we will go to Cascade next time....I can see keeping a percentage if cancellation is a week or less....they are not worth it...I have heard much better things about Cascade.

• Stayed January 2008, travelled with family
2 Thank speasmom
Portland, OR
Reviewed 10 August 2009

My wife, two year old child, and myself stayed two nights in this hotel for a wedding. The location and grounds are nice, no complaints there. The hotel rooms themself are embarassingly bad. The worn out rooms and hallways stink and there is no water pressure in the showers. We received a discounted rate of $111 per night, which is way too much to pay for a room at this hotel. I can't imagine why anyone would pay even more to stay at this property.

I am guessing that this resort books a lot of group functions and markets its golf courses, ski hills, and banquet facilities instead of its lodgings. When planning an event, no one thinks to check the rooms.

I agree with a previous commentor, it is a slap in the face to see advertising in your hotel room for beautiful new condos while you are paying to stay in a dump. This place could be a great destination resort, but it is quite obvious the owners are unwilling to invest in the hotel.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled with family
2 Thank Plepper
Reviewed 5 August 2009

I went with a group of people for a golf outing last year. The layout and scenery of the golf courses are beautiful, but the courses themselves need some work and upkeep.

A hotel room is a hotel room. I am there to sleep and watch a little tv. Overall it was decent and the pool and hot tub were fine. You cannot beat this place for the price. I definitely recommend it.

Oh yeah, and it's close to the Ho Chunk. I hit a slot for $2500 that weekend. So it was ALL good.

• Stayed August 2008
angsz
Reviewed 20 January 2009

It's a nightmare. Someone mentioned "a blast from the past" and I totally agree. We went there for only 2 days and that was enough. Dirty smelly and old, very old. Everything needs serious renovation. But the "best" is food. Paying for the premier room you also have dinner and lunch or breakfast included. haha it's an adventure. Dinner menu consists of 5 entrees, One good word to discribe: DISGUSTING!!!!
A good thing is that once you're outside you feel a little better.

• Liked — firepit outside, ski slopes
  • Disliked — accomodations, food, equipment, prices, service
  • Stayed January 2009, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3 Thank angsz
Also consider these accommodations in or near Merrimac
BEST WESTERN Baraboo Inn
Ho-Chunk Casino Hotel and Convention Center
Days Inn Portage
Days Inn Portage
#4 of 6 in Portage

Been to Devils Head Resort? Share your experiences!