“Good skiing for the price, but needs updating”

Devil's Head Resort
Ranked #2 of 3 things to do in Merrimac
More attraction details
Owner description: Devil's Head Resort is nestled in the apex of a heavily forested, 1200 acre private Nature Preserve that encompasses natural farmland, rivers, streams, and rises up the Baraboo Bluffs. Experience the gourmet cuisine of the elegant Cornucopia room. Then enjoy the live entertainment in the Devil's Den or an evening of gambling at the nearby casino. Spend some time hiking or biking around the scenic hillsides or take advantage of our tennis courts. Facilities are available for your indoor or outdoor wedding ceremony and reception, conference or gathering.
New Lenox, Illinois
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Good skiing for the price, but needs updating”
Reviewed 8 June 2014

The slopes are a good time, just because they are within driving distance for me. If I wasn't within a few hours of driving, I probably would not go. The rooms are pretty outdated, but I do enjoy how the rooms are right by the slopes, and you don't need to book a separate hotel. Definitely enjoy the outside fire pit, where everyone gathers at the end of the day to cook their food. I'll definitely be back here again, but it definitely needs updating.

Visited February 2014
1 Thank CountryBoy2814

Chicago IL
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 26 helpful votes
“Worst skiing ever?”
Reviewed 30 March 2014

I discovered Devil's Head in February after years of skiing in the Midwest, and I was pleasantly surprised. The snow was good, the slopes were not terribly crowded, and the lifts were run well. But when I skied there the last day of the season, March 23, I was amazed at how awful the conditions were. Every run I did was riddled with dozens of large patches of bare ice like I had never seen before, which were dangerous both for skiers and for skis.

I've skied many other Midwestern spots in late winter and early spring, so I knew better than to expect ideal conditions. But the slopes at Devil's Head were radically worse than anything I've eve encountered. The mountain should have been closed, or at the very least the ticket sellers should have warned skiers what to expect. The owners ought to be embarrassed to treat customers so badly. I doubt I'll ever go back.

5 Thank illin0isguy
Chicago, Illinois
47 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 72 helpful votes
“Great Location for Skiing, But in Need of Updates”
Reviewed 22 March 2014 via mobile

We had two rooms at the Inn at the end of season--a suite and a king room. The kids asked if this used to be a college dorm, because it had an "institutional" feel. Still, it was convenient for skiing, and the end-of-season price of $60 was right.

1 Thank Kim S
Saint Charles
10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 16 helpful votes
“awesome experience for skiing in midwest”
Reviewed 7 March 2014

Used a groupon we had just purchased a few days prior, no problems at all. Great help from staff with picking out skis, poles, etc. Enthusiastic staff all around. My daughter and friend did the skiing, while I caught up on some reading in the lodge's lounge with a roaring fireplace nearby. Glad we went

Algonquin
“Poorly laid out ski resort - hiking here, hiking there NOT for beginners!!”
Reviewed 1 March 2014 via mobile

I've skied many places in Northeast, Colorado and Wisconsin. We brought a beginner skier with us today. What a nightmare. Lug all your equipment, bags and food, over the terrain more than 1 football field,almost 2 from the parking lot. Rent equipment (for the beginner), walk back to where you just came from, UPhill to the beginner slopes. Funny thing, going back to lodge to eat and return equipment is also uphill.

The kicker is the first building at the parking lot and beginner slopes is the ski patrol building. Are you kidding me? Learn at Cascade!!

There were short lines on cold (10 degrees) and snowy day, but given the hassle of the layout, not sure I'd even come w back with just my own family who are all intermediate/advanced skiers.