“Addendum to my previous review”

Madison Marriott West
Ranked #7 of 7 Hotels in Middleton
Saint Francis, Wisconsin
“Addendum to my previous review”
Reviewed 17 November 2011

In July I stayed at this hotel and had a very unpleasant experience. Aside from giving it a scathingly bad review here at Trip Advisor, I also wrote to Marriiott's corporate headquarters. The response I received came within a week of my letter being sent, and according to Chris, the manager at the time, Mr. Marriott had requested he handle this issue personally. (I didn't even know there WAS a Mr. Marriott?!?!) His letter was sincere and extremely apologetic. He said new training and standards had been implemented based on my complaint.

He also contacted Priceline ( with whom I'd booked the room) and insisted they refund the total cost of the room. My account was credited within the week. Of course, it would have been easier for me to give a bad review and leave it at that. But because Chris took so much time and care to address my concerns and reimburse me for my stay, I felt it was only right for me to update my previous review.

Sometimes it IS worth it to register a complaint, because the person who ends up with your letter in his hand may be someone who truly believes in exemplary customer service.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (74)
Waterloo, Canada
Reviewed 31 October 2011

If you are planning a conference in Madison, consider going out a little from the main city and going to Middleton. Clean, friendly and very accomodating.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled on business
san francisco
Reviewed 7 September 2011

Great atrium hotel
Breakfast buffett extra but awesome and staff is very helpful

Love the property

Bainbridge Island, Washington
Reviewed 5 September 2011

This atrium style hotel (was it an Embassy Suites in a previous life?) is a fine place to stay when you're in the area--right off the Beltline. On checking in, I was told there wasn't an executive lounge for breakfast, so my Marriott Gold status wasn't worth much. Other reviews here say there is such a lounge, on the 10th floor, so I'm a bit confused about that. Maybe because it was Saturday, and they usually close those on Saturday evenings? No big deal, we had breakfast the next day at a local diner that was great.

Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 19 August 2011

I’ve been staying at the Marriott Madison West 4-5 nights a week for about 2 months now on a long term project. It’s a bit above average compared to other hotels in the same category and I haven’t found anything better in the area as far as the major chains go. I spent a month in the Sheraton and switched after one night at the Marriott because it was so much better.
Best feature: Executive lounge on the 10th floor – Susan works there in the evening and is just fantastic. She’s fun, really cool, conscientious, and takes care of everyone who shows up. The evening hors d’oeuvres are generally excellent and sometimes awesome (peel and eat shrimp & crab legs for example – honest!). Sue’s got fantastic desserts and a full honor bar.

Other highlights: rooms are pretty good (big and clean), great atrium, excellent pool. On Wednesdays, the hotel manager has beer and brats on the patio.

Worst features: The elevators have been under construction (upgrade?) for the past few months – waiting for an elevator can be frustrating – expect to wait 5 min or so during morning rush.
Morning breakfasts in the Executive lounge – completely different customer experience in the morning vs. the evening. Scrambled (runny) eggs and oatmeal (soup) are served in “buckets” (really, buckets – wait till you see them, you’ll understand). They stopped offering cold cuts, so no meat. They do have doughnuts, bagels and English muffins, thought. The fruit is really good and fresh; fantastic raspberries and blueberries and good pineapple and melons.
The staff in the Executive lounge is pretty average – it’s tough to compare to Susan’s energy and friendliness, but sometimes the morning folks can be real downers or right down weird. There’s a pretty strong evangelical Christian thing going on at the hotel that can be a bit forward if you’re not comfortable with that. Some of my offshore team members felt really strange when they stayed at the hotel
Hotel restaurant – very mediocre. The food’s edible but so average that it makes the TGIFridays across the street look great. The hotel doesn’t do veggies much unless you count potatoes and iceberg lettuce…

• Stayed August 2011, travelled on business
New York City, New York
Reviewed 18 August 2011

It's hard to believe this is a Marriott property. I actually stay here several times per month but this last time will be my last. Although the staff is generally friendly & professional, their competence is questionable. The hotel gives the impression that it is too large for its operating budget. The linens are old and tired (holes in the sheets & duvet covers, limp towels, some with stains). I am a platinum member of Marriott and am always booked into a King room. This time, they put me in a room with 2 doubles. I immediately changed rooms and the TV did not work. I then plugged my laptop into the lamp and it made a loud "pop" and blue sparks came out. All of the power in the room was then knocked out. This is unacceptable, as the wiring in that lamp was obviously faulty. I was lucky my computer was not fried. The last straw came when I killed a large fly in the room with the first thing I could grab, which was the paper breakfast menu. I then crumpled the menu and threw it away. The next day, the housekeeper had removed the menu from the garbage can and placed it on my pillow. Outrageous. Anyone that would think this is acceptable service is out of their minds. I will not stay here again and do not recommend it for business travelers. During a single stay, I have never heard so many staff say, "I apologize for that". Sorry isn't enough, I'll be trying the Hilton Garden Inn next time. Good service speaks for itself and does not require apologies.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank Troy S
Reviewed 17 August 2011

Wish there had been other choices for breakfast that were cheaper than the restaurant. Also - atrium hotels - (many stories in a circle surrounding ground level lobby) - are problematic as when there are parties or events the sound wafts up from the lobby to the rooms.

They also need elevators to be repaired quickly. Many times I walked up five flights (I need the exercise) while waiting for the one lone elevator with others. They did make the freight elevator available in a pinch.

Additionally, wireless service needs to be free in room. It's a pain to have to pay $13 a day or schlep down to the business center to look at work email for free.

Room service and housekeeping was stellar.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Middleton
Hilton Garden Inn Madison West/Middleton
Fairfield Inn & Suites Madison West/Middleton
Comfort Suites Madison West
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Madison West
Courtyard Madison West/Middleton
Baymont Inn & Suites Madison West/Middleton WI West

Been to Madison Marriott West? Share your experiences!