“Cleanliness beyond lacking” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #7 of 7 Hotels in Middleton
Nashville, Tennessee
“Cleanliness beyond lacking”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 June 2013

This hotel needs a serious deep cleaning. Thick dust layered many surfaces. As another reviewer pointed out, trays were left in the hallways outside of rooms a long, long time. The coffee makers are terrible. Instead of a reusable tray for holding the coffee, there is a disposable tray that melts as the coffee brews -- I can only imagine what is leaching into my morning cup of Joe.

The bartender tried to overcharge me for an already expensive glass of wine. I found service average at best.

Overall, I can't recommend this hotel. I'm sure there are better places to stay in Middleton.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
MadisonMarriott, General Manager at Madison Marriott West, responded to this review, 12 June 2013
Thank you for your feedback. We will definitely look into the quality of coffee makers. They are a standard Marriott item but there is always room to approve. We are also always working to improve the product and services offered and hope that you will be able to try us again in the future.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (70)
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 June 2013

Beautiful hotel; very clean and modern; great neighborhood within walking distance of fabulous shopping and dining. What made this stay the best was the phenomenal customer service! Chet and Al at the front desk deserve raises AND promotions because their kindness and attention to detail will bring be back.

• Stayed June 2013
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thanks for sharing your experience and we will ensure that the staff is made aware of your kind words.
Milwaukee Wisconsin United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 June 2013

Finally a hotel that makes me feel at home. We were in Verona Wisconsin for the Redden Soccer tournament and our entire organization (100+ rooms) stayed at the Marriott. When checking in, it was very refreshing to simply have the desk clerk have me sign off on a form that was basically saying "I will look after my child and be a parent" instead of getting the feeling that because I am from a sports team I am automatically labeled as a bad parent who has children who are out of control. OR getting the lecture of what my rules are (assuming both myself and my children are going to break all the rules) and made to feel that "I am just lucky to be there" The hotel had two weddings going on, along with several teams at the hotel and it ran just fine. I didn't have people telling me to go to my room, be quiet, be concerned that I was not "following the directions" etc... It was a simple, laid back, easy going stay. I only wish I would have known this years ago with our many years of traveling for hockey and soccer because I would have been saved from many of headaches and disappointing hotel stays. Thank you for renewing my faith in staying at hotels and just because we are a "sports team" I was treated with respect and given the benefit of the doubt!

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
We are glad that you enjoyed your stay and we enjoy having the energy of the teams in the hotel.
Sydney
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 June 2013

Overall had a good stay here, The rooms were large and comfortable but perhaps a bit tired compared to what one might expect at a Marriott. The staff were also very helpful though I did have to remind them to collect a room service tray that had been outside my room for 24 hours. Breakfast was good with freshly cooked omelettes. The central atrium is rather vacuous but there was minimal noise pollution from there into the rooms. Location is OK as long as you have a car to get around and there's no shortage of parking space.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the opposite side to the Freeway. A friend staying on that side said there was a l...
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for your feedback. We have recently completed a renovation and hope that you are able to try out our new rooms and new internet service. We will always do our best to accomodate individual requests and look forward to serving you again in the future.
Clinton Twp., Mi.
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 May 2013

We stopped on our way to Hudson, Wi. and were greeted by a Lions Club convention. We did have reservations. The hotel is very accommodating. Being a Gold Club member, we were comped free breakfast vs. the room upgrade we would have received. The staff was very friendly and informative. I would stay there again...even if theLions were there.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for staying! I am glad that they were able to accomodate you with breakfast and look forward to serving you again in the near future.
New York City, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 May 2013

My spouse and I have stayed here several times over the years and have always been happy with the hotel.

Cons:
- The only consistent issue we've had with the facility is the cavernous atrium in the center of the hotel, which all the rooms face. When conventions and groups aren't in the lobby, the noise isn't a problem. However, during one of the recent large conventions, the noise traveled all the way up to the 10th floor into the AM hours, which was quite disruptive for us and several of our other co-workers on the lower floors.
- A/C was out for a few hours this week during one of the warmer days. It wasn't until VERY late at night that this was fixed.

Pros:
- The food in the concierge lounge is good. They have eggs, crispy bacon and sausage every morning with the usual pastries, oatmeal and fruit.
- If you're going to Epic, then this hotel's shuttle service is way better than the coach bus. You don't have to wait for a greyhound bus full of people and there aren't multiple stops on the way to/ from Epic. As soon as one shuttle is full, it will leave and the other shuttle will wait for the remaining guests. We've often returned to the hotel by 5:15ish.
- The staff is wonderful - it's this hotel's single biggest asset! They're actually the reason we come back everytime we're in Madison, otherwise we'd stay downtown. Chet, Tameka and Steve at the front desk have somehow managed to remember our preferences for every visit and happily address us by name everyday (without logging into the system). Susan in the concierge lounge goes out of her way to make all the members in the lounge feel at home. And Mike, Jon (drivers) and George have always been accomodating with driving us to/ from Epic, the airport and other locales (for dinner). Everyone is super nice and has never once alienated anyone at our company.
- There's a good collection of stores and eateries within walking distance (Sprecher's, Claddaugh's, Cheeseburger in Paradise, Johnnie's Steakhouse, etc).

• Stayed May 2013, travelled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
MadisonMarriott, General Manager at Madison Marriott West, responded to this review, 28 May 2013
Thank you for the kind words regarding our staff. They truly are great and we appreciate all of their hard work. We will continue to work with our overnight staff to limit the noise and appreciate your taking the time to tell us about your stay.
Boston
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 May 2013 via mobile

There's no sparkle or pizazz to the Marriott Madison West, but I had no issues during my brief stay for a business trip.

The room was clean, but in need of an update. Some of the furniture was so rickety I was worried it was going to break out from under me, and the cheap fixtures were showing their age slightly.

The mattresses are imitation memory foam, and a little bit too firm for my tastes, but your mileage may vary as everyone's sleep preferences differ.

I have a love-hate relationship with the "cavernous" hotel design, because while it provides an airy and open atmosphere, it also means that anything happening in the lobby transmits to all the room doors. I was on the second floor and heard conversation and the active water fountain sound from my room. Thankfully activity died down later in the night so I could sleep, but I highly recommend a room on the highest floor you can get so you're furthest from the noise.

The staff was friendly and courteous and I had no complaints about the service during my brief stay. This factor alone makes the hotel worth coming back to, in my mind.

The restaurant actually has decent breakfast entrees; I recommend the crispy French toast. Naturally, go out somewhere else for your coffee.

The convention center is small but functional, with food service that was on-par. I will note that Wifi at the event was worse than usual with frequent drop-outs, and "tech support" handed me a phone number for an outsourced company that doesn't even service the hotel any longer. No one at the event could stay online for more than 5 minutes and the staff's only advice was "reboot." Being in I.T. myself, I know how finicky wifi can be so I don't like to nitpick on it too much, but It definitely needs work in the con space.

Overall, this isn't a bad hotel, and a few folks have judged it a lot more harshly than I would have. Not a bad stay, and I wouldn't have a problem doing so again.

• Stayed May 2013
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
MadisonMarriott, General Manager at Madison Marriott West, responded to this review, 15 May 2013
Thank you for your review. I am glad to hear that the staff service was a deciding factor in your return to our property. We are continuing to improve our facility as we wrap up renovations and hope that the improvements will continue to add to your experience. We look forward to serving you again in the future.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Middleton
Hilton Garden Inn Madison West/Middleton
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Madison West
Courtyard Madison West/Middleton
Fairfield Inn & Suites Madison West/Middleton
Comfort Suites Madison West
Residence Inn Madison West/Middleton

Been to Madison Marriott West? Share your experiences!