“Showed Kindness In Crises”

Madison Marriott West
Ranked #7 of 7 Hotels in Middleton
Bountiful, Utah
“Showed Kindness In Crises”
Reviewed 22 June 2013

I arrived very late at night (after midnight) as part of a large tour group. Every room in the hotel was booked for the night. Although this is a 100% non-smoking hotel, unfortunately several of our rooms HAD been smoked in on the 2nd floor (and other floors)! My room was particularly awful. Due to having a severe allergy to tobacco smoke and other chemical smells, I simply could NOT sleep in there. Even after just walking into the room and back out again my eyes had puffed up and my throat was swollen. After returning to the front desk and explaining the problem, I was told there were no other rooms to be moved to. I knew this was true, since I was travelling with such a giant group. Several others had also come to the desk with the same complaints. This led the desk staff to believe that our rooms were NOT actually smoked in, but it was simply a "ventilation issue" and smoke was being pulled in somehow from outside. (I know when a room has been smoked in, and ours definitely had been smoked in, trust me). They sent housekeeping to open up the windows, and to spray the rooms with Febreeze (I'm allergic to Febreeze). I decided to take up residence on a couch in the spacious (if cold and noisy) lobby. I asked for a pillow and blanket, which they provided. I would just make the best of things for the next 5 short hours before we had to depart again. I had a very long day ahead of me. I desperately needed some sleep or it was going to be a miserable day, but I consigned myself to working on my laptop through the night. I reasoned that maybe I would doze for a few winks or maybe I could try to sleep on the bus later on...

Soon after settling on the couch a man named Robert Wooten rushed over (I assume he was the night manager). He showed deep concern for my plight. First, he offered to call other hotels nearby to get me a room and shuttle me back and forth all free of charge. I assured him that would be a waste of time since our large group had actually filled up 5 hotels in the area. Also, time was of the essence, since by now I only had about 4 1/2 hours left before I had to leave again, so even if he did manage to find a room, it wouldn't be worth all the trouble. Mr. Wooten went away, but returned a few minutes later, apologizing again, and told me they actually had one suite upstairs undergoing some major renovations. It only had a pull-out couch in it, no bed, but he wondered if that would be OK for me to use? I eagerly accepted! The room was spotlessly clean, smelled fresh, and fit my needs perfectly. I was able to get 4 solid hours of well-needed sleep plus a nice hot shower before having to check out of the hotel. Mr. Wooten was watching out for me when I came back down, and immediately inquired if I had slept OK. I thanked him again for his kindness. I told him truthfully that sleeping on that sofa bed was actually the best sleep I've had in a long time. It was surprisingly comfortable, and not at all like usual sleeper beds I've experienced. He was happy to hear my review, since they were investing in these newer more expensive sleeper couches based on claims of comfort. (so there you go, I am now the first official reviewer for their new sleeper sofas)

I certainly cannot fault the hotel for having terrible guests who broke the smoking rules! (I hope they track them down and fine them!) My only criticism would be how the problem was dealt with as soon as the smoke was discovered. When the cleaning crew entered those rooms more than 12 hours before we arrived they would have easily smelled the cigarette smoke and known the rooms were severely damaged. At that point, they should have immediately told the management, and the entire team should have leapt into action to air the rooms out, clean the carpets, spray them, and do whatever else it took for damage control to make the rooms inhabitable before our entire group would descend 12 hrs later. Twelve hours is a LOT of time to make a big difference in cleaning up a mess if you really invest some effort. At the very least, these rooms could have been opened up and aired out all day long until we arrived. I think that would have made a tremendous difference. As it is, I am not sure where the ball got dropped or how it all went down. All I know is that when we arrived, many rooms were unbearably filled with the smell of cigarette smoke. It sure would have been nice if they had told us up front they were aware of the issue and apologized, instead of hoping we simply wouldn't notice and then having their night desk crew swamped with frantic calls and complaints. As it was, dozens of people in our party were subjected to the smell of second hand smoke in their rooms, and the headaches that always brings. Most went ahead and slept in their rooms because that's all they could do. It was late. We were exhausted. Some felt OK afterward. Others felt ill afterward. It was an unfortunate situation for all involved.

I would strongly advise this hotel to please post NON SMOKING signs EVERYWHERE both inside and outside of the rooms (every room should clearly have a no smoking sign on the doors which they do not currently have) and make it 100% clear to guests that smoking is NOT tolerated inside this hotel and a fine WILL be charged if the room is found having been smoked in. I know it is a Marriott policy to charge a $250 fine for smoking. Other Marriott hotels I've stayed at have these signs clearly posted, but as far as I could see, this one did not.

And, if this really is due to a "ventilation issue" as some staff insisted it had to be, then for heaven sakes, get it FIXED!!

I want to thank Mr. Robert Wooten again for taking such kind care of me personally. He really went above and beyond and showed great kindness. He was tireless until he found me a place to sleep and made sure I was OK. He and his night staff were truly wonderful. I really appreciate everything they did for me!

Room Tip: Higher floors are quieter. Less noise from the atrium lobby.
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank Hollyday66
MadisonMarriott, General Manager at Madison Marriott West, responded to this review, 23 June 2013
We certainly understand the incovnience of having a room that smelled like smoke and are ensuring that the proper steps are followed. I am glad our staff was able to find a solution and become a bright spot in a rough situation.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (74)
Fond du Lac, WI
Reviewed 22 June 2013

Good solid hotel. A little older, the rooms aren't anything special but they are well-appointed and clean. Price is reasonable for the area. Staff was very helpful, and check-in, check-out was fast. Close to good shopping and restaurants.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled on business
We appreciate your feedback and look forward to seeing you again.
Crownsville, Maryland
Reviewed 18 June 2013

I've stayed at this Marriott property several times over the past two years and it has always delivered a very good experience. As noted by other reviewers, the front desk staff is very helpful and friendly. The rooms are good sized and pretty up to date in terms of the bathrooms and electronics. I've been lucky enough to be upgraded into the corner suites, which are very roomy. I do agree with other reviewers about room service trays, which seem to inhabit the halls for long periods of time. And the coffee makers due indeed have these strange melting trays!

Room Tip: Do watch out for large kids sports teams which often inhabit this place on weekends. If you see buse...
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
MadisonMarriott, General Manager at Madison Marriott West, responded to this review, 21 June 2013
Thank you for your review. We are always working to improve and will definitely look into the issues that you mentioned. Our goal is a great guest experience and we look forward to serving you again in the near future.
Nashville, Tennessee
Reviewed 10 June 2013

This hotel needs a serious deep cleaning. Thick dust layered many surfaces. As another reviewer pointed out, trays were left in the hallways outside of rooms a long, long time. The coffee makers are terrible. Instead of a reusable tray for holding the coffee, there is a disposable tray that melts as the coffee brews -- I can only imagine what is leaching into my morning cup of Joe.

The bartender tried to overcharge me for an already expensive glass of wine. I found service average at best.

Overall, I can't recommend this hotel. I'm sure there are better places to stay in Middleton.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled on business
MadisonMarriott, General Manager at Madison Marriott West, responded to this review, 12 June 2013
Thank you for your feedback. We will definitely look into the quality of coffee makers. They are a standard Marriott item but there is always room to approve. We are also always working to improve the product and services offered and hope that you will be able to try us again in the future.
Reviewed 3 June 2013

Beautiful hotel; very clean and modern; great neighborhood within walking distance of fabulous shopping and dining. What made this stay the best was the phenomenal customer service! Chet and Al at the front desk deserve raises AND promotions because their kindness and attention to detail will bring be back.

• Stayed June 2013
Thanks for sharing your experience and we will ensure that the staff is made aware of your kind words.
Milwaukee Wisconsin United States
Reviewed 2 June 2013

Finally a hotel that makes me feel at home. We were in Verona Wisconsin for the Redden Soccer tournament and our entire organization (100+ rooms) stayed at the Marriott. When checking in, it was very refreshing to simply have the desk clerk have me sign off on a form that was basically saying "I will look after my child and be a parent" instead of getting the feeling that because I am from a sports team I am automatically labeled as a bad parent who has children who are out of control. OR getting the lecture of what my rules are (assuming both myself and my children are going to break all the rules) and made to feel that "I am just lucky to be there" The hotel had two weddings going on, along with several teams at the hotel and it ran just fine. I didn't have people telling me to go to my room, be quiet, be concerned that I was not "following the directions" etc... It was a simple, laid back, easy going stay. I only wish I would have known this years ago with our many years of traveling for hockey and soccer because I would have been saved from many of headaches and disappointing hotel stays. Thank you for renewing my faith in staying at hotels and just because we are a "sports team" I was treated with respect and given the benefit of the doubt!

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
We are glad that you enjoyed your stay and we enjoy having the energy of the teams in the hotel.
Sydney
Reviewed 1 June 2013

Overall had a good stay here, The rooms were large and comfortable but perhaps a bit tired compared to what one might expect at a Marriott. The staff were also very helpful though I did have to remind them to collect a room service tray that had been outside my room for 24 hours. Breakfast was good with freshly cooked omelettes. The central atrium is rather vacuous but there was minimal noise pollution from there into the rooms. Location is OK as long as you have a car to get around and there's no shortage of parking space.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the opposite side to the Freeway. A friend staying on that side said there was a l...
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends
Thank you for your feedback. We have recently completed a renovation and hope that you are able to try out our new rooms and new internet service. We will always do our best to accomodate individual requests and look forward to serving you again in the future.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Middleton
Hilton Garden Inn Madison West/Middleton
Fairfield Inn & Suites Madison West/Middleton
Comfort Suites Madison West
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Madison West
Courtyard Madison West/Middleton
Baymont Inn & Suites Madison West/Middleton WI West

Been to Madison Marriott West? Share your experiences!