“Great staff makes up for the noise”

Madison Marriott West
Ranked #7 of 7 Hotels in Middleton
Reviewed 9 February 2014

I just stayed here for one Thursday night for business. The staff when I checked in and throughout the evening were impressive. The concierge attendant was lovely and the cocktail receptions and breakfast in the lounge were perfect. The pool and fitness area were empty and nicely maintained. Every staff member I saw was attentive, pleasant, and professional. I only have one issue with this hotel. All the rooms on the 10-floor hotel open into the middle which is open to the restaurant/lounge/lobby on the ground floor. The night I was there a convention had their last night and were noisy in the lounge until well after midnight. I stay up late and I'm a heavy sleeper but I struggled to get to sleep up on the 6th floor. It was to the point where I could hear specific people laughing. Once I was asleep it was no problem but if you're a light sleeper, good luck. The convention also checked out the same day I did so getting up and down the elevators was tricky but that will happen. The room was impeccable and again the staff was great.

Room Tip: The higher the better and bring your ear plugs in case there's a crowd in the lounge.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Melody_L_1234

Reviewed 2 February 2014

We stayed here for a quick overnight trip to Madison. After attending a Badger football game, we headed to the hotel to get settled in our room. Check-in was a breeze, thanks to the helpful and friendly gentleman at the front desk. One of the first things I noticed as we ascended in the glass elevator was the overall setup of the building. The rooms all surround a large atrium, which extends the full height of the building. I've always felt that hotels of this style feel much more open and airy than hotels with dim, narrow hallways - but I realized later that this setup has its drawbacks.

After meeting a friend for dinner in Middleton, we headed back to the Marriott in hopes of a restful night, since we had an early morning the following day. Our bed and bedding was very comfortable...but as soon as we started to drift off, the noise started. A group of teenagers were standing around in the hallway outside, talking loudly. I got up to put out our "do not disturb" sign, hoping that would prompt them to move into their room. That didn't help, so I gave it a half hour or so before calling the front desk; they promised to send security immediately. As soon as I called, the teens disappeared (it's possible that the could hear me on the phone, since the walls truly did seem paper-thin). They were back a couple of hours later and just as loud as before. We could also hear others on the floors above and below us due to the atrium setup. It is so unfortunate because I really thought this was a decent hotel, and the staff seemed very accommodating when we called about the noise - but there is only so much you can do when all of the rooms are exposed to the center atrium and you are hosting events there like weddings, etc. I liked the hotel overall, but it was impossible to sleep through all that noise.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 27 December 2013

Stayed here on a quick business trip to the area. I usually stay closer to downtown but that was not an option. the greeting was the start of an excellent stay. Front desk extremely friendly and positive. room, very nice. hotel is relatively new and the room was a typical Marriott. I was upgraded which was nice due to my status.
only negative is you can't walk anywhere. otherwise very convenient to highway.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 16 December 2013

Nice lobby, decent restaurant too with local foods which was a nice touch. Rooms were clean and comfortable. It appears they have re-done their bathrooms in the rooms since I last stayed there which was badly needed. Staff was very friendly and helpful. Tried to order a movie--- it was $17.99 for a regular movie, and it didn't work. Probably good since the price was an insult! Silver Marriott member- got free internet. Rate of $161 was reasonable. It would have been nice to have covered parking in Wisconsin in the winter. Overall was happy and would stay there again. A tip- when you go there google a restaurant called "ENO VINO wine bar & tapas". It's not far away and was beyond amazing. It made my zero degree trip enjoyable.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 12 December 2013

The hotel isn't perfect but it is pretty nice. You can tell the place is a little old but it still has some charm such as glass elevators so that you can see into the lobby. My favorite part of staying at the hotel however is the staff. One of the staff members who works in the top floor lounge (her name is Susan, I don't know her last name) in-particular is tops on my list. She is always happy, always friendly, and very helpful when you need it. I return to this hotel whenever I'm in Madison.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 17 November 2013 via mobile

If you are not a Gold or Platinum Marriott member I wouldn't stay here because of the wifi fee and no free breakfast (included at those levels). Figured I would give it a shot since I am a gold member.

Pros:

-Large workout room and pool, though the hot tub seems like it is on it's last legs (didn't want to start up easily and sounded very strange)

-Friendly staff

-Breakfast buffet was very good

-Good bar

Cons:

-Outdated design with large atrium

- Rooms below average for Marriott- need new beds, furniture, and a full redesign

-Long wait to be seated for breakfast, despite ample open tables

- Exec lounge closed on weekends

If they give this place a full makeover, it could be a great property. Until then, you are probably better off at the Fairfield across the street. This place wasn't bad, but for a full-service Marriott property it should be better.

Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 14 November 2013

I stayed at the Marriott for a conference. The room (on the 8th floor over looking the atrium) was very nice. Clean, well maintained, and tastefully decorated.

The staff was very nice, but seemed overwhelmed by the amount of guests in the hotel. It took two days to get a second suitcase valet, and the toner in the printer in the business center was never refilled for printing boarding passes, despite several days of requesting.

Also strained to capacity were the elevators. Just two for the entire hotel. They were at capacity the entire time I was there, and the waits were very very long.

Highlights included good food, and fantastic staff at the hotel bar.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Middleton
Hilton Garden Inn Madison West/Middleton
Baymont Inn & Suites Madison West/Middleton WI West
Hyatt Place Madison
Hyatt Place Madison
#12 of 63 in Madison

Been to Madison Marriott West? Share your experiences!