“Pleasant enough hotel”

Ranked #6 of 7 Hotels in Middleton
Madison, Wisconsin
“Pleasant enough hotel”
Reviewed 11 November 2013

I don't like eating out every meal when I'm out of town so the apartment-like setup of their rooms was perfect for me. Some of the public areas of the hotel are worn, but the room itself felt nice and that's what really matters to me. The complimentary breakfast was average at best and definitely felt free. The front desk staff were not overly friendly, but nice enough. Stayed on a frosty night so the heated parking was the best feature of the hotel. Housekeeping did come knocking on my door despite the do not disturb sign, but the absolute worst part of this hotel is the room felt about 5 feet from the highway and there is no quiet at any hour.

Room Tip: Try to get on the side away from the highway
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
sbsmiddleton, Manager at Staybridge Suites Middleton / Madison, responded to this review, 21 November 2013
Hi imthedoctor,

Thank you for taking the time to review the StayBridge Suites in Middleton!

I'm sorry to hear the staff was not as friendly as they should have been and for housekeeping knocking on your door even with the Do Not Disturb sign on. We pride ourselves on being your "home away from home" and ensuring everyone feels part of the family. It appears we did not meet this expectation for you. I also want to apologize the breakfast felt average and the noise level was high in your guest suite. We are currently testing new breakfast items for guest satsifaction. We are also researching options for improved soundproofing of the guest rooms since we do have a close proximity to the highway. These options include thicker paned windows, noise reducing drapery and insulation.

I am glad you were able to utilize the climate controlled underground parking. It really is a unique feature of the hotel and definitely makes the colder months more bearable!

Thank you once again for the review and we look forward to seeing you when your travels bring you back to Middleton!

Regards,

Melissa R. Reetz
Assistant General Manager
StayBridge Suites Middleton

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
Reviewed 2 November 2013

I have stayed at this location several times over the last few months. The location and availability of covered parking kept me coming back. There are several great restaurants within a few blocks of the hotel, and you can even walk to the Middleton Public Library. However, as JW mentions in his review, the property is showing its age. Carpet in several areas is bunching, cabinets are worn, some have loose hinges, drains are sluggish, some couches sagging towards the middle, scuff marks on the walls. Each item by itself isn't a deal breaker, but when you add them all up, it just seems like keeping the property updated is not a priority with the management. Overall the staff at the hotel is competent, but not overly friendly (except for Bobby - always a friendly greeting from Bobby). While I don't expect cheerleaders, a friendly greeting is always welcome - it is the hospitality business after all. The last straw came on a recent stay during an early morning checkout. There was no one at the front desk when I arrived. There were three people right outside the front door smoking. Sure enough, the front desk clerk was one of the three smokers. He spotted me and came in to check me out. I'm really not trying to be critical, but... I expect a minimum level of professionalism in the dress code at a hotel, and this one wasn't even close. Untucked shirt, blowing smoke, cigarettes sticking out of his pocket, etc., etc,. Bottom line - it's time for me to find a new hotel on Madison's west side.

Room Tip: Stay away from rooms on the belt line side of the hotel due to traffic noise.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank tivo60
sbsmiddleton, Manager at Staybridge Suites Middleton / Madison, responded to this review, 11 November 2013
Dear Tivo60,

Thank You for taking the time to review the StayBridge Suites in Middleton. We welcome all feedback! We strive to exceed guest expectations and I apologize we were unable to provide this for you on your recent stay.

We are currently in the planning phase of a complete hotel renovation, slated to being early 2014. We are very excited for this renovation as StayBridge Suites Middleton will have a fresh new look!

I also want to apologize for the lack of professionalism you received from the staff. Your comments and observations will be passed along to the team and be utilized in our constant efforts to better ourselves to ensure our team only gives the best service possible at all times.

Thank you for the wonderful comments about Bobby. He truly is a gem to the hotel and hospitality industry. He has a passion for people and it definitely shows! I will be sure to pass along the great comments to him!

Thank you again, for taking the time to review the StayBridge Suites Middleton. We truly value our guests opinion as it helps guide us to providing exceptional customer service.
I hope the next time your travels bring you back to Middleton, you continue to stay with us, and we are given the chance to exceed your expectations.

If I can be of assistance to you in any way, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Melissa R. Reetz
Assistant General Manager
StayBridge Suites Middleton
Wichita, Kansas
Reviewed 2 October 2013

Reserved King Suite via IHG.com. Confirmation Email read 2 Doubles Suite instead. Compliments to Bobby, for resolving this issue. Bottled water & treats offered to IHG members upon arrival. Above or underground free parking. Property needs updating. Worn furniture. Saggy sofa. Torn main hallway carpet; top floor. Old style bedspreads; thin towels. Hairball stuck to bath towel. Left hairball/towel with note for housekeeping. Pool towel also had hairball stuck to it. Gave that hairball/towel to front desk clerk. Room: kitchen with full fridge, cooktop, microwave, coffeemaker, dishwasher, utensils. No toaster oven. Breakfast: Ran out of food except for mushy fruit and toast. Staff blamed it on holiday weekend. Planned to stay a week, but left after two nights. Management promised to resolve issues for future guests and discounted stay.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Staybridge Suites Middleton / Madison, responded to this review, 22 October 2013
Dear J W,

Thank you for staying with us and providing us with your valuable feedback. I am happy to read that after some issues with your stay, these were soon sorted and you were able to get a discount. However, I apologize your stay was negatively affected by the room amenities and poor housekeeping service you received. We will always ensure that all our guests stays are comfortable. Thank you for staying with us and we all hope to have an opportunity to serve you again.

Zelyn N
West Linn, Oregon
Reviewed 28 September 2013

On a recent trip we could not find a hotel anywhere in Middleton, WI. I used Trip Advisor and found that the Staybridge Suites had rooms available. We thought for sure we would be gouged since rooms were at a premium, but were pleasantly surprised with the rates for our stay and very surprised at how nice our room was. We had a one bedroom with 2 comfy beds, a large bath area and a pleasant sitting room with a full small kitchen. Absolutely no complaints or issues. Room was very up to date and very clean. Our rate included dinner and breakfast. We will definitely stay again on our next trip to Wisconsin.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
Young Harris, Georgia
Reviewed 27 September 2013 via mobile

On a recent road trip, we called ahead to reserve a room for two adults and our puppy. The reservations clerk took all of our information and quoted a price for our room. I asked specifically if there was a pet fee, and was told there was not. I had also researched the hotel online and it was the same price with two adults and one dog. Upon arrival, the woman at reservations asked if we knew there was a $75 non-refundable pet fee.

The best thing about this experience was that she referred us to the Baymont Inn and Suites on Excelsior Drive that has less expensive rooms, better customer service, greeted us with a free happy hour and is totally pet-friendly with no fee required.

Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Staybridge Suites Middleton / Madison, responded to this review, 13 October 2013
Dear cfosullivan,

We appreciate you foryour feedback regarding our hotel. We give the utmost importance to our guest comments as they help us improve, and continually provide the best guest experience possible. Please accept my sincere apology for the shortcomings you experienced and regret the information you received from our staff and hotel policy did not live up to your expectations. Rest assured that your comments will be reviewed by our team and take actions accordingly. We greatly appreciate your feedback as this is the best resource for improving guest services.

Zelyn N
Lake Nebagamon, Wisconsin, United States
Reviewed 23 September 2013

This has been my go-to hotel when I'm not staying downtown. I have always rated it the top. However, on the most recent stay it shows signs of cost-cutting that negatively affected our stay. It seems that they have decided to go with minimal staff which lead to constant delays (checking in, making a request, checking out, etc.), a poorly stocked breakfast (it was clear the one person on duty could not keep up as the dirty dished piled up and the food ran out) and a staff that clearly is overstressed. The last straw for my opinion was making a request for a shuttle and got berated for not booking 24 hours in advance -- that works for airport runs, but not for weekends, I understand being busy, but don't need the lecture. The one bright spot was Bob, the driver, who went out of his way to accommodate us. It's too bad his above-and-beyond service was too little, too late for us. There are many choices in the area and I will look elsewhere next time.

Room Tip: Don't plan on putting adults on the hide-a-bed.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Staybridge Suites Middleton / Madison, responded to this review, 10 October 2013
Dear Greg S,

Thank you for your feedback and for always choosing our hotel whenever you are in the area. I truly apologize for the not up to par experience you had during you stay with us this time. Providing excellent customer service is one of the things we pride ourselves on and we are sorry to read that in this case you feel we have fallen short of your expectations.

We greatly appreciate your feedback as this gives us the avenue to improve on our guest satisfaction and I hope that you will consider us again on your next travel.

Janice A
Middleton, Wisconsin
Reviewed 8 September 2013

We recently stayed at the Staybridge Suites in Middleton during an out of state move, while we waited for the movers to arrive with our belongings a week after arriving here ourselves.

Traveling with pets doesn't always give one the best options, but out cat and dog were welcome and happy at the hotel. The room was spotless and well-appointed. A variety of hot breakfast choices were available for free every morning and, while we didn't have a chance to check it out, there're complimentary drinks and snacks early each evening as well.

Really, I don't have a single complaint. A special shout-out to employees who were especially helpful, friendly, and made us feel at home: Jan, Melissa, and Bonnie. Also, the young woman who worked the breakfast area who always had a sunny smile.

Would highly recommend this hotel to anyone, and especially anyone traveling with pets!

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Middleton
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Madison West
Hilton Garden Inn Madison West/Middleton
Courtyard Madison West/Middleton
Fairfield Inn & Suites Madison West/Middleton
Residence Inn Madison West/Middleton
Comfort Suites Madison West

Been to Staybridge Suites Middleton / Madison? Share your experiences!