“Worst service ever!!!!”

Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Madison, Wisconsin
“Worst service ever!!!!”
Reviewed 21 November 2013

We were so, so disappointed with our recent experience as we met friends there at our recommendation. Service was extremely slow with some of our order never coming at all due to our inattentive and "checked-out" waitress. We waited long periods for beverage orders and when they did arrive, one was incorrect with no apology. Our food orders were fine except portions were extremely small for the $8 price. We spoke to the manager as we left and she apologized but offered us nothing more in compensation for the horrendous service. Never coming back.

• Visited November 2013

Madison, WI
“Bland food, mediocre service”
Reviewed 8 November 2013

My husband and I came in for dinner on a Thursday night - Thursday night is Trivia night and it is pretty loud, but the noise wasn't the issue. It was the service and food. Our waitress was nice and offered to answer menu questions which I took her up on asking a couple of items on the menu like the corned beef and cabbage rolls - I specifically asked if it was corned beef inside cabbage - she said yes so I ordered them. I was debating weather to order some soup and the waitress said, that soup doesn't take long and I could order it later if I wanted - though she never came back to ask if I still wanted the soup. My husband ordered the bangers and mash. We didn't have to wait too long for the food to arrive, but instead of the corned beef and cabbage rolls, I received the corned beef sliders - the waitress that delivered the food was nice enough to leave them and also placed another order for the corned beef and cabbage rolls. Since I was hungry I ate one of the sliders and it was decent. My husband's dish was just so so, the gravy looked good until I tried it, bland and didn't taste home made like they used onion soup to make it. When the corned beef and cabbage rolls arrived, I was surprised to see that they were actually egg rolls stuffed with mostly potatoes and a little corned beef and cabbage. Obviously this was not as described on the menu or by the waitress and the worst part is they were super bland and not good - I ate 1/2. The original waitress did come by to say it was her fault my order got screwed up. Prior to receiving the bill we gave the waitress a $10 certificate purchased through Community Change to support a charity. When the bill arrived I was surprised to see that we were charged for the wrong appetizer in addition to the one I actually ordered. When I pointed that out to the waitress she said she could take it off but then we couldn't use the certificate because we had to order 2 entrees in order to use it and went on and on how people don't read the fine print. I didn't recall seeing the 2 entree requirement on the certificate, but let it go. I happen to have another certificate at home and so checked it - here is what the certificate said "Valid for parties of 2 or more. Savings Certificates may NOT be combined. One certificate allowed per visit per table. Not valid on daily specials, coupons or other offers." The certificate did NOT state we had to order 2 entrees so be careful when using these as it seems that Claddah likes to make up the rules, rather than follow what's stated. Needless to say, I'll be throwing out the certificate.

• Visited November 2013
Pewaukee, Wisconsin
“Irish food?”
Reviewed 14 October 2013

I chose to have an Irish dish-Shepard pie. It was very hot when served so it was a very leisurely meal. The dish was not outstanding made with ground beef rather than the traditional lamb. It was very rich.
The waitress was attentive without being overly solicitous. I did not find anything outstanding but as a first time customer, it was an average meal. I would much prefer a small privately owned restaurant with more authentic food rather than the chain restaurants because I have found many of them to serve mediocre food at high prices.
For a family, I think you would be able to find something suitable for everyone.

• Visited August 2013
Richfield, Wisconsin
“Consistently...Good”
Reviewed 15 September 2013

When we first started visiting the Madison area, we stopped at an Irish restaurant on the east side of Madison, near American Family. We liked it so much, we stopped twice. It was Erin's Snug Irish Pub. Years later, we stopped recently at The Claddagh, thinking it was the same restaurant (I hadn't remembered the name of Erin's), expecting the same menu and experience. Not the same, but not bad, either! We stopped at the Claddagh on a Saturday afternoon and took a chance at eating on the patio. We were the only diners outside, and we were glad to be there as this restaurant is a sports bar. With a football game on TV and diners in the inside portion of the restaurant, we appreciated the quiet of the patio. The service was very good. Our server was a new young man, accompanied by a more experienced server. She (the experienced server) was spot on, smiling and very friendly. The young trainee did a fine job, and only needed to acquire a smile to come across as enjoying his job! My husband and mother ordered the restaurant's signature corned beef and cabbage rolls. Both were surprised at the size of the appetizer. Since each had his and her own serving, there was more than enough for each to enjoy. Both commented on the great taste, especially since they both enjoy anything with cabbage! I ordered the small Caesar salad with grilled salmon (add sirloin steak or salmon for $5.99.) The salad was a nice blend of greens, dressing and what I believe were homemade croutons. The salmon was perfectly grilled with grill lines on the outside and a very moist -- not dry and overcooked -- inside. Unfortunately, for the extra price, I expected a bit larger piece of salmon. The one on my salad was on the small side. We'll be back again, and the next time I think I'll start with the "Warm and Tipsy Bread Pudding."

• Visited September 2013
Redmond, Washington
“Great Go-To Restaurant”
Reviewed 2 September 2013

Great service with a smile and genuine warmth, and good food too. I ordered a burger, and my wife ordered fish.

The burger came rare, per my request -- and because they make their own patties I was not worried about the health effects that rare ground beef comes with in many restaurants. Fresh bun, nice slice of tomato, so-so lettuce.

My wife was not so wild about her fish. It was a single *huge* piece that nade her comment "it looks like half of an entire fish". Maybe a bit of hyperbole on her part, but it was large. Bit too much breading, though.

Beer selection was good, and we were there on a Sunday when they have an all-day (and night) happy hour. I had Capital IPA (good!) and my wife had a porter.

One thing that this restaurant did not seem to focus on is traditional Irish food. It's on the menu; however based on what I was reading it didn't seem to be a focus. That's fine with me, because Irish food is too heavy for my taste (and besides, I have enough of it when I go to Ireland).

I visit here on average 1-2 times per year, which is how often I am in town from Seattle. In other words, it's kind of a go-to joint for me. No, it's not outstanding. But certainly serviceable when in need of food and a good beer. Which is fine by me.

• Visited September 2013